Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-24-2011, 09:12 AM   #1
pnutandmunchkin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Dropped feedings causing withdrawal symptoms in me?

Long story short, we transitioned ydd from co-sleeping to crib over the weekend because she was wanting to nurse every 30 to 60 minutes and DH and I were not getting any sleep. We'll dd is doing so well, that she has dropped all feedings except for the one before bed and sleeping throughout the night with only an occasional wake up. I, on the other hand, am not doing so well. She's sleeping through the night now, but I'm waking up all the time and having a heck of a time going back to sleep. I've had to pump a couple of times, but I think my supply is leveling off, but I'm now more emotional and having some hot flashes and nausea (and no, I'm not preggo). Are these some of the side effects of prolactin withdrawal or am I just having some psychosomatic symptoms from feeling depressed from dd not wanting to nurse any more? I'd love to hear other mama's experiences with this.
Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

Old 10-24-2011, 01:53 PM   #2
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Dropped feedings causing withdrawal symptoms in me?

I'm curious, too!
Old 10-24-2011, 01:54 PM   #3
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Just some hormone dumping if u haven't been using protection when dtd, I would start!
Old 10-24-2011, 02:06 PM   #4
iwiamandaiwi
Registered Users

Hmmm...I have been having some pregnancy like symptoms too and I do not think that I am pregnant. Maybe it is some sort of hormone thing for me too...hmmm...
Old 10-24-2011, 03:50 PM   #5
pnutandmunchkin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks ladies for your responses. I did some googling and at least found this on kellymom.com regarding depression resultant from weaning.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/weaning_mom.html

I just feel in a total funk and I'm still nursing once a day. I'm scared to cut that one out.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:52 PM   #6
pnutandmunchkin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981 View Post
Just some hormone dumping if u haven't been using protection when dtd, I would start!
Yah, I know! I've got a box full of condoms that my DH forgets to use. I'm monitoring my cycles and using BBT so hope to avoid that way. I wouldn't mind another, but DH says we're done.

Last edited by pnutandmunchkin; 10-24-2011 at 04:05 PM.
pnutandmunchkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:53 AM   #7
hablab7
Registered Users

My Mood:

I am feeling the exact same way and I slowly weaned my son. It's been 4 weeks now. I saw my doctor yesterday because I've been having upset stomach, nausea, weight gain, fatigue, etc. Honestly all my symptoms remind me of pregnancy. They had me take a test and it was negative. My doctor explained to me that I'm showing classic symptoms of withdrawal. Specifically from losing the prolactin. When you wean your estrogen tries to return to normal causing this hormone imbalance. He put me in ortho-tricyclen birth control to try and regulate my hormones. He said I needed to take this specific pill for 3 months to level out my system. I hope you find relief! I can't find anything on the web about this!

Internet crazy wife to DH Lou , and mom to three exhuberant boys Camden my runner , Cohen my dancer , & Cutler my new baby .
hablab7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:57 PM   #8
Sarawithouth
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have withdrawals at work that contribute to my PPD. I hope you can work through your feelings!

Sent from my phone using DS Forum

Sunny due in October!

We're a breastfeedin', babywearin', vax delayin', un-circumcisin', cloth diaperin', bedsharin', home birthin', atheist family from Texas!
Sarawithouth is offline   Reply With Quote