Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-27-2011, 10:53 AM   #1
fishingfor5
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My EBF baby's diapers smell HORRIBLE! Anyone else? Update with more questions

Hi my DD is 3 1/2 months old and her BMs smell just awful. Sometimes like sulfer and sometimes like a baby who is getting real food. Anyone else? I haven't smelled the "sweet" smell more than a couple of times. This is my 5th DC and she is a mystery. I have been block feeding as her stools are also yellow/green with a bit of mucous. I am restricting dairy in all major forms. I have never had so many trials BFing any of my others.

TIA
10-30-
OK so I really need your help. DD is Shrieking in pain just out of the blue. Her diapers have become more greenish slimy and she is in pain. Her gas is so awful smelling. I try working her legs constantly to help work things out but it is not helping as much as needed. I am in tears as I feel like my only option is to try formula since it seems like I am the cause of her pain. Please tell me if I need to contact her Ped. Can it possibly be a UTI or a virus? She has had a hard time since she was born but we thought by now it would be improving but it seems like it is getting worse. Sorry for this being so long but I hate the thought of using formula. My heart is so heavy.

Advertisement

Blessings from -Tori (42)wife to the amazing Dan(41) for 21yrs. Mom to the Fab 5, DS22, DS18, DS12, DD10, and DD2 Homeschooling, BFing, new to CDing, Not so good at Vaxing, SAHM 5 ^0^ resting with the Father till we meet again Joyfully snuggling our newest son born February 9 2014.

Last edited by fishingfor5; 10-29-2011 at 07:38 PM.
fishingfor5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:24 AM   #2
humbeeb
Registered Users
seller

Re: My EBF baby's diapers smell HORRIBLE! Anyone else?

My son is now almost 8 mo & his were horrid too, now that he is on solids as well as Bfing, its just as bad, only a different consistency. His pee is what really gags me! It is sooo bad. Its clear, just smells as though he only eats asparagus or something!! Blarg! Anyone have any insight?
Old 10-27-2011, 02:16 PM   #3
fishingfor5
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbeeb View Post
My son is now almost 8 mo & his were horrid too, now that he is on solids as well as Bfing, its just as bad, only a different consistency. His pee is what really gags me! It is sooo bad. Its clear, just smells as though he only eats asparagus or something!! Blarg! Anyone have any insight?
YES! I noticed this with DD's urine as well. It's really strong and a little "off". It confounds me....
Blessings from -Tori (42)wife to the amazing Dan(41) for 21yrs. Mom to the Fab 5, DS22, DS18, DS12, DD10, and DD2 Homeschooling, BFing, new to CDing, Not so good at Vaxing, SAHM 5 ^0^ resting with the Father till we meet again Joyfully snuggling our newest son born February 9 2014.
fishingfor5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 03:14 PM   #4
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Could be any number of things you are eating or supplements you are taking.... And it likely has a lot to do with LO's gut flora. Sometimes the normal bacteria in the gut can get a little "off" - you could try probiotics to see if it helps. A friend of mine did this after she and her LO had antibiotics for yeast.

Kellymom.com has info on this - search probiotics and it'll give you suggestions and direction on giving it to LO. Probiotics are just "good bacteria" that we would normally have growing in abundance in our gut to break down and help digest our food. You can get probiotics in capsule form and just open a capsule, but a little on your finger tip and let LO suck it off. Its pretty east. No drops or anything. Here are two links:
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/thrush/preventing-thrush.html#01
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/thrush/preventing-thrush.html#04

I recommend this for anyone who's baby is getting iron supplements, especially. That can really throw things off. Here's a link on that: http://kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/iron.html#whynot

Last edited by colin-mylilguy; 10-27-2011 at 03:20 PM.
colin-mylilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 03:29 PM   #5
humbeeb
Registered Users
seller

I give my son the "tri vit sol" supplement per his Ped's Rx. He says it is because he is a breast fed baby, no formula he probably isn't getting all the vitamins he needs. I'm so on the fence with this...anyhow, do you think that could be the cause of the pee stinks??!! I have given up on his poo stinks (after all, it IS supposed to stink, right?) he was just born a smelly fella. :/ Lol.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:50 PM   #6
veveland
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I would look into food allergies more. Kellymom has some great info on that too.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:18 PM   #7
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbeeb View Post
I give my son the "tri vit sol" supplement per his Ped's Rx. He says it is because he is a breast fed baby, no formula he probably isn't getting all the vitamins he needs. I'm so on the fence with this...anyhow, do you think that could be the cause of the pee stinks??!! I have given up on his poo stinks (after all, it IS supposed to stink, right?) he was just born a smelly fella. :/ Lol.
Yep! I do. Most breastfed babies don't need iron supplements but Pediatricians recommend it like its a given for everyone... not so.

My LO was born a month premature AND his cord broke at birth, so there was a good amount of blood loss. He has been EBF since birth so given all of this, he technically, should be at a higher risk for iron deficiency anemia. I was concerned so we've had him checked at 6 months and 9 months and guess what? He's within the normal range - on the high end, even! Go figure.

Link to Kellymom.com - http://kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/iron.html

My thoughts: Why would nature (or God, if you believe in God) create such a huge gap in such a vital nutrient for MOST babies at a crucial time for growth and development? Supplements haven't been around for all that long... what did people do before? Feed their 4 month old beef?! Babies don't even have the enzymes to break down proteins (except in breastmilk) completely until they are around 18 months.... It doesn't make logical sense because it's not logical (IMO). I talked to our Pedi about my feelings on this (because there are negative side effects from supplementing with iron) and he agreed with me that doing a simple blood check was enough to monitor LO and if needed, we would supplement, but if he was fine, no need.

Why do Pediatrician's seem to insist on re-inventing the wheel? If it ain't broke... don't "fix" it!!! (Can you tell this is a pet-peeve of mine?! lol)

Last edited by colin-mylilguy; 10-27-2011 at 05:20 PM.
colin-mylilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 06:42 AM   #8
eliz7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbeeb
Arg!!! This kills me! My ydd was unable to eat ANY solids until 11.5 months. I dont give vitamins at all and I just had her iron checked at her one year appointment and it was 12. Totally healthy. Bf babies do not need iron unless they have been supplemented with it either in vitamins, formula or iron fortified foods. If you keep them EBF they are fine as long as mom is healthy.
Happy to be again after a bit of a break
eliz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:46 AM   #9
humbeeb
Registered Users
seller

Mamas. THANK YOU. I have been feeling like Ive been pressured into giving him the supplement. He spits it up each time, so I really want to stop anyhow. It doesnt make sense to me either, what did they do 100 years ago? Oh, such relief to read my thoughts from another mamas hands! Lol. DS1 was premature, I was on a high iron supplement while pg with him, he was perfectly fine! I didnt have to "supplement" him as he was a formula baby (I tried so hard, but didn't produce more than 4oz a day ) This time around, Im EBFing & figured it was the norm, every mom must give the supplement.
Arg There I am, not researching, smiling while taking the Rx paper & just doing as I'm told. We tested his iron at his 6 month check and he was at 12 also, so I think I'm going to just stop the supplement. Thanks for the info! I appreciate it~
Old 10-28-2011, 08:32 AM   #10
ayer79
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbeeb
Mamas. THANK YOU. I have been feeling like Ive been pressured into giving him the supplement. He spits it up each time, so I really want to stop anyhow. It doesnt make sense to me either, what did they do 100 years ago? Oh, such relief to read my thoughts from another mamas hands! Lol. DS1 was premature, I was on a high iron supplement while pg with him, he was perfectly fine! I didnt have to "supplement" him as he was a formula baby (I tried so hard, but didn't produce more than 4oz a day ) This time around, Im EBFing & figured it was the norm, every mom must give the supplement.
Arg There I am, not researching, smiling while taking the Rx paper & just doing as I'm told. We tested his iron at his 6 month check and he was at 12 also, so I think I'm going to just stop the supplement. Thanks for the info! I appreciate it~
Call me crazy, but the vitamins are to supplement vitamin D bc it's not in breastmilk. Iron is in there too, but docs recommend it for the D. Not a doc, but that's what I was told.