Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-28-2011, 09:34 AM   #11
humbeeb
Registered Users
seller

Re: My EBF baby's diapers smell HORRIBLE! Anyone else?

You could be right! I honestly don't know what exactly my son in particular is perscribed the supplement. I have his next appt coming up soon & Im just going to press him for info. B/c of our health ins, I go to a large office, NOT my first choice, but they were accepting new patients, our ins, etc. I feel pretty rushed with the Dr most of the time, but the nurses are why I don't search for somewhere else. They are really great, I'm sure one of them will go over it & talk with me about all of this! Good point, at least I took a point from your post, I need to do more research before making any decisions.

Advertisement

Old 10-28-2011, 10:13 AM   #12
AmberP
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had this-- DS had HORRIBLE ebf stools... yellow, mucousy, smelly. Turned out he was allergic to dairy. He's 21m now and still allergic. I would explore an allergy as a possibility, but not rule out other things--including that it is totally normal for your child.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:35 PM   #13
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliz7 View Post
Arg!!! This kills me! My ydd was unable to eat ANY solids until 11.5 months. I dont give vitamins at all and I just had her iron checked at her one year appointment and it was 12. Totally healthy. Bf babies do not need iron unless they have been supplemented with it either in vitamins, formula or iron fortified foods. If you keep them EBF they are fine as long as mom is healthy.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:44 PM   #14
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayer79 View Post
Call me crazy, but the vitamins are to supplement vitamin D bc it's not in breastmilk. Iron is in there too, but docs recommend it for the D. Not a doc, but that's what I was told.
You were told that vitamin D is not in breastmilk? By your Pedi? If so, this just cements my thoughts that Pedi's are not breastfeeding trained, nor can they give accurate or helpful advice on infant nutrition, especially if baby is EBF...

Check out kellymom.com - it has great info with research based facts on infant supplements. Breastmilk does have vitamin D and iron. The vitamin D in breastmilk provides about 20% (if I remember correctly) of what baby needs. The rest was *meant* to be absorbed by the sun... Vitamin D is basically only available by conversion of the Sun's rays. It is naturally found in cod liver oil, and like two other things... but for the most part, its not in food. It wasn't meant to be absorbed that way. Vitamin D is extremely light sensitive so if it comes into contact with light, it readily breaks down. Its also not well absorbed in supplement form... It just wasn't designed to be a *supplement*
Old 10-29-2011, 07:39 PM   #15
fishingfor5
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: My EBF baby's diapers smell HORRIBLE! Anyone else? Update with more questions

update in OP
Blessings from -Tori (42)wife to the amazing Dan(41) for 21yrs. Mom to the Fab 5, DS22, DS18, DS12, DD10, and DD2 Homeschooling, BFing, new to CDing, Not so good at Vaxing, SAHM 5 ^0^ resting with the Father till we meet again Joyfully snuggling our newest son born February 9 2014.
fishingfor5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:33 PM   #16
veveland
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingfor5
update in OP
It sounds like she is not tolerating something in your diet. I wouldn't think it would be viral unless she has a fever. She probably has a tummy ache. Try some gripe water or colic calm and then note what all you ate in the last 24 hours. It's really hard when they are uncomfortable, but it's likely that if it is an intolerance, it would be to dairy or soy and formula might just make it worse.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:41 PM   #17
aumismommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I forgot to mention in my message to you that DS diapers smelled like sulfur too! Once you get the milk figured out I bet you will be smelling sweet poop
Do you have an oversupply? I tried block feeding too but it didn't help us. Make sure you see an lc to just put your mind at ease that latch is good - I know youve done this before but each baby is different. Make sure you have no - soy, dairy, eggs, cow product of any kind, chocolate, caffeine, fish and shellfish. Check the links I sent you. You'll make it through. If someone would've told me I would be nursing DS now at 15 months when he was your litle ones age I would've cried in disbelief. You can do it.

ISO: Ring Sling WC, Soft Star Shoes (brand) shoes size 8/9 (toddler) or infant
aumismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:21 AM   #18
fishingfor5
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: My EBF baby's diapers smell HORRIBLE! Anyone else? Update with more questions

Natasha for everything. Everyone I just have to tell you how much I appreciate the support. it really means so much. I have been on the edge a couple of times here. Between you and DH I Think I Can.....
Blessings from -Tori (42)wife to the amazing Dan(41) for 21yrs. Mom to the Fab 5, DS22, DS18, DS12, DD10, and DD2 Homeschooling, BFing, new to CDing, Not so good at Vaxing, SAHM 5 ^0^ resting with the Father till we meet again Joyfully snuggling our newest son born February 9 2014.
fishingfor5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 12:58 PM   #19
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Do you have oversupply? Block feeding can really make a difference with the gas and poop, etc.

LO experienced much of what you are describing and it helped to do some massage, bicycle his legs as often as I could remember, block feeding, warm baths or a warm rice bag on his tummy (he loved that) but I never did figure out what, if anything, was in my diet. He eventually grew out of this but every once in a blue moon, he still screams, arches his back and toots.

Have you used any supplements or been on an antibiotics since nursing? If so, have you tried probiotics? They can really help.

It will get better!
Old 10-30-2011, 01:53 PM   #20
Aleesh_Mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had exactly the same problem with my lo (who is now 2). What helped was eliminating dairy, soy, and wheat from my diet, taking him to an osteopath for bodywork, and block feeding. His symptoms cleared up within 4 weeks. I remember the torment of it all, but hang in there!
Aleesh_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote