Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-27-2011, 11:52 AM   #1
Blindbatbeth
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Baby won't take a bottle

I Know this is breastfeeding forum and I EBF but I pump as well to keep a "stash" well my LO is 5 weeks old and I went to help my mom because she was sick and left Lyra with my DH with a bottle of pumped milk. I had let her try nursing from a bottle at 4 weeks and every other day try to give her some just to get her used to a bottle. Well she has all times refused the bottle but usually it was me giving her the bottle so I figured it was becayse if that seeing my first took to the bottle fine with everyone but me. So my DH had to fill a syringe and feed her that was because she refused it from him to. I have tried it when she wasn't that hungry and when she is hungry and I have tried starting on the boob then slipping her the bottle and nothing works. I just want her to take a bottle so on days when I feel "touched out" or need to do errands where I can't take her, that she will be okay. Any advice??

Advertisement

Old 10-27-2011, 01:21 PM   #2
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Re: Baby won't take a bottle

What kind of bottle? Is it a wide base nipple? My LO would only take Tommee Tippee, very 'boob-like'.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 02:24 PM   #3
fishingfor5
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I feel your pain. My DD is 3 1/2 months and has refused pacifiers and bottles. She has a high sucking need and I am a super milker so she couldn't use my breasts as a "pacifier". i have used my pinky until she started finding her own fingers. As for the bottles she won't have anything to do with them if they contain BM. She will "play" with one bottle we put water in. But she won't seriously take it. I too wanted her to know how to just in case of emergency. NOPE.....so HUGS to you. I do understand. Just wish I had something to offer in the way of a fix.
Blessings from -Tori (42)wife to the amazing Dan(41) for 21yrs. Mom to the Fab 5, DS22, DS18, DS12, DD10, and DD2 Homeschooling, BFing, new to CDing, Not so good at Vaxing, SAHM 5 ^0^ resting with the Father till we meet again Joyfully snuggling our newest son born February 9 2014.
fishingfor5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 02:29 PM   #4
Blindbatbeth
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Thanks mama, I have Avent, playtex drop-ins and life-factory. She may suck one or two times seriously but she pushes it out with her tongue or hits it away. It's just frustrating that she won't take it, and DD is attached to my boobs 99.9% of the time and wakes up the second I unattach her lol she is a boob woman just like DH haha
Old 10-27-2011, 02:30 PM   #5
Blindbatbeth
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra
What kind of bottle? Is it a wide base nipple? My LO would only take Tommee Tippee, very 'boob-like'.
Are they expensive?
Old 10-27-2011, 02:59 PM   #6
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindbatbeth View Post
Are they expensive?
Kinda, but you can just get one to try it out for like $8 (I think - correct me if I'm wrong, someone )

I've also heard Adiri bottles are really good for breastfed babies. The look very "breast-like" and are made with silicone so they are pliable/soft, too. (Also BPA free)

Amazon has a 2-pack for $15: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0018BY2E0/ref=nosim/chrisficti-20

My friend who is also an IBCLC RN uses these for the one day a week she works and she (and baby) like them and have had no problems with breastfeeding. She was worried, too, because she is kinda flat in the nipple department and was worried LO would prefer or reject a "nipple" of any sort. She uses the slow flow even with her older baby - something she said it really key when using bottles with a breastfed baby.

My personal experience... LO never EVER would take a bottle. Not once, not any kind. I am a SAHM so I wasn't too worried but at the same time, everyone kept telling me that it would be "necessary" and ya know what? Its not. LO is 10.5 months old and I can count on one hand how many times I've thought "Ugh... it would be nice to just give him a bottle...." because I'm just "touched out" but even then, I'd just put on my big girl panties and feed LO - lol. I'm not trying to down play a stressful day or anything - I know some days are just bad...

On the rare occasion that I've had to go somewhere for a few hours and LO needs to be fed, DH has given him pumped breast milk in a syringe. We have a 10cc syringe (biggest I could find) and DH developed quite the talent in feeding LO this way, if needed. LO didn't mind, either. He gladly took the syringe! So, I guess what I'm saying is, its really not the end of the world, at least it hasn't been for me. Just trying to be comforting in case you don't have bottle success.

Feeding with a syringe is not a bad way to go and that way you avoid nipple confusion, all together! I like syringe feedings because 1) no nipple confusion or bottle preference later on down the road, and 2) slower feeding = less likely to over feed baby. LO is happy with 1-2 oz from the syringe and then he just gets a nice "fill up" when I get home! One time I even fed him with the syringe, partly to teach DH but partly just to see what would happen... He took it happily. Kinda looked at me funny but sucked it down!

GL, though! I hope she'll take one for you. If not... Just know you're not in that boat alone.

Last edited by colin-mylilguy; 10-27-2011 at 03:10 PM.
colin-mylilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:30 PM   #7
cdwelton
Registered Users
seller

Breastflow! DD has baddddd nipple confusion. After taking a paci or bottle she would give me scabs because the 10 minutes with a rubber nipple changed her suck. That's IF we could even get her to latch to it instead of chewing. I wanted her to take one in case of an emergency..

Anyway we tried Breastflow and it works great. No nipple confusion, she latches great to it, and it's slow flow. HTH
Old 10-28-2011, 08:46 AM   #8
CEVmommy
Registered Users
seller

I also had a baby who never took a bottle, and it wasn't the end of the world. And I was back to work full-time.

My #1 suggestion to you though, is that you can't be the one to offer the bottle. Have your husband do it. And once you get it, have him practice giving the bottle maybe 2x per week with a small bottle (1-2 oz is fine). We did this with my 2nd until I went back to work and it helped her remember.

Honestly though, if I wasn't going back to work, I wouldn't have bothered. It is an ongoing hassle (2x per week bottles/pumping/washing/leaving) rather than an occasional hassle (whenever you wanted to be able to use a bottle).
Old 10-28-2011, 02:06 PM   #9
Blindbatbeth
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Thanks To all for the information and support. Your right it's not the end of the world and not even that nessarcary. I am just worried because with my first I had to have an emergency surgery when she was 2 months, I just don't want the same thing happening, really I'm just paranoid. If it works great if not oh well lol. I am probably going to try one or two more types of bottles then give up
Old 10-28-2011, 02:33 PM   #10
kferg
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwelton
Anyway we tried Breastflow and it works great. No nipple confusion, she latches great to it, and it's slow flow. HTH
This! I love these bottles and DS takes to them fine and doesn't have any issue when he comes back to the breast.
kferg is offline   Reply With Quote