Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-27-2011, 01:43 PM   #1
madiganandpupsmom
Registered Users
seller

Tide vs. Dreft?

Hey ladies,

Okay, so i'm back to Tide, i just bought some! But I stood in the aisle for about 10 minutes in Target checking out the trillion varieties of Tide!!! I've also heard lots of people saying they used Dreft with success.

I bought some Tide (Total care, Essentials w/ Lilac) and also the Target version of Dreft. All were liquids.

So I was looking for feedback on these, how much to use, and whether people had less rashes with Dreft? I have an old TL, middle of the road water.

Advertisement

madiganandpupsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:44 PM   #2
4boys1girlforme
Registered Users
Previously: 4boysforme
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Tide vs. Dreft?

Dreft has fabric softeners in it and wouldn't make a good cd detergent.
Lee Ann RN student/ SAHM to Jaret '00, Spencer '03, Preston '05 (CLW at 37 months), Griffin '08 by VBAC (CLW at 21 months), & Mallory '10 by VBAC (CLW at 43 months)! Formerly tandem & bfing for a combined total of nearly 11 years! Also cloth diapering & baby wearingMy HUGE FSOT
4boys1girlforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:54 PM   #3
madiganandpupsmom
Registered Users
seller

funny, I've heard many people lately tell me they used Dreft w/ success! I wonder if it's really any worse than Tide ??
Old 10-27-2011, 02:38 PM   #4
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've never heard of anyone using Dreft for CDs with success.

I use Charlies, but if I were going to try Tide, I'd try to get the most basic one I could (F&C or plain-jane Tide) - no frou-frou scents. I think the original Tide is supposed to be best but I've seen lots of scrambling on these boards lately as apparently it's no longer easy to find.
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 03:07 PM   #5
madiganandpupsmom
Registered Users
seller

well, id' get the basic if it didn't make my girls rashy. I used regular powdered mountain breeze for 15 months with no issues but had trouble with ultra.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:55 PM   #6
Mrs.Willis
Registered Users

So I have been having major stink issues with Tide, Purex and Arm & Hammer. I switched to Dreft and my problem seems to be gone.

I went on the Dreft site and read some FAQs a few months ago and remember reading that you should use more Dreft for diapers. Well I got the ultra and use up to like two and so far I am very happy.

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum
Mrs.Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:07 PM   #7
4boys1girlforme
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Willis View Post
So I have been having major stink issues with Tide, Purex and Arm & Hammer. I switched to Dreft and my problem seems to be gone.

I went on the Dreft site and read some FAQs a few months ago and remember reading that you should use more Dreft for diapers. Well I got the ultra and use up to like two and so far I am very happy.

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum
I hope you aren't using any synthetic fabrics!
Lee Ann RN student/ SAHM to Jaret '00, Spencer '03, Preston '05 (CLW at 37 months), Griffin '08 by VBAC (CLW at 21 months), & Mallory '10 by VBAC (CLW at 43 months)! Formerly tandem & bfing for a combined total of nearly 11 years! Also cloth diapering & baby wearingMy HUGE FSOT
Old 12-10-2011, 07:30 PM   #8
Micheliala
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i've used dreft for over 4 years with no issues with my diapers, not even with the synthetics. where did you read it has fabric softener in it, the ingredients on the label don't disclose this? We have eczema here and even though everywhere in the diapering community everyone says to use unscented and organic type detergents I get nothing but stink and rashes from using every organic detergent i've tried. I have a top loader and hard water, the dreft rinses very easily and for us at least its one of the few detergents that doesn't cause rash. The original tide worked okay for my older son but when they switched to the ultra I just can't seem to get a clean diaper from it. I've pretty much exclusively used dreft with my youngest. I've always wondered why it gets such a bad rap

Hyenacart, Babyshapes on Etsy
Micheliala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:06 PM   #9
e_roehm23
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have come to the conclusion that there are several cd detergents and some main stream ones also that work fine for cloth diapers. The trick is finding the one that works well with your water. That might also include the entire wash routine. JMHO, though
e_roehm23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:19 PM   #10
4boys1girlforme
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micheliala View Post
i've used dreft for over 4 years with no issues with my diapers, not even with the synthetics. where did you read it has fabric softener in it, the ingredients on the label don't disclose this? We have eczema here and even though everywhere in the diapering community everyone says to use unscented and organic type detergents I get nothing but stink and rashes from using every organic detergent i've tried. I have a top loader and hard water, the dreft rinses very easily and for us at least its one of the few detergents that doesn't cause rash. The original tide worked okay for my older son but when they switched to the ultra I just can't seem to get a clean diaper from it. I've pretty much exclusively used dreft with my youngest. I've always wondered why it gets such a bad rap
http://jilliansdrawers.com/newtocloth/washingcloth
"Do not use any baby detergents such as Dreft, since they contain fabric softeners."

http://www.pinstripesandpolkadots.co...entchoices.htm

Just google- there is lots more info about it- apparently you aren't supposed to wash baby clothes in it either because it take away the flame retardant quality of some fabrics.

The problem is that fabric softeners make stay dry material repel and your diapers will start to leak because instead of absorbing the liquid will just run out the sides.