Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-27-2011, 08:16 PM   #1
FerventlyDreaming
Registered Users
seller

Question *HELP*Advice Needed about NO Milk for DS and PediaSure to supplement

DS was always 70%-90% for height and 90% or more for weight. (Sometimes off the charts) At his 1 year check up he was 26 pounds and about 30 inches (I forget exactly) At his 18 month check up he is also 26 pounds and 31.5 inches. (He got down to 23 pounds after he started walking and is now gaining again.) The doctor said this makes him 30% for height and 50% for weight.

DS does not drink any milk. We have tried to give it to him and he just wont drink it. I told the doctor this about three weeks ago when we had to go in for a diaper rash. Dr asked how much other dairy he took and said just keep giving him his vitimans (Poly Vi Sol) and continue to push other dairy but he should be fine.

This time at his 18 month check up Dr said to start giving him PediaSure every 2-3 days. In addition to the vitamins and extra dairy.

I am not sure I want to do that because it seems to have a lot of sugar in it and I am not too comfortable with it overall. Seems unhealthy to me. (I am not sure why because I drank Ensure weight booster all through my preg because I couldn't gain weight)

Do you have a LO who wont drink milk? How do you make up for it or get them to drink it? What should I do? Just give the PediaSure? DH says 1 PediaSure has as much sugar as a pop! I don't know what I should do.......

Advertisement

Old 10-27-2011, 08:50 PM   #2
ho11yb
Registered Users
seller

My DS has never taken more than a reluctant sip of milk & then makes a nasty grimace face. Our pediatrician says it is not a problem or cause for concern - he said he is more concerned about those toddlers who drink a ton of milk but wont eat much food. I was able to nurse him until 15 months, but since then no milk except on his cereal, in smoothies, or baked goods, etc. We do give a multi-vitamin and make sure he eats a yogurt every day that has vitamin D (usually the baby yogurts), but generally our view & that of our ped is to just encourage a healthy diet and encourage eating other dairy (or vitamin D & calcium).

I make muffins from weelicious with whole milk for him, and if making Mac & cheese will do it w/whole milk, but we really don't do much of anything special.

I specifically asked about milk alternatives or adding stuff to the milk & our ped said not to bother and that the sugar in things like pediasure or chocolate milk aren't healthy for a toddler on a regular basis.

Blame the typos on the iPad!

Last edited by ho11yb; 10-27-2011 at 08:53 PM.
ho11yb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:00 PM   #3
nakedbabytoes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: *HELP*Advice Needed about NO Milk for DS and PediaSure to supplement

Personally, I don't think milk is all that & a bag of chips. My kids like cheese & yogurt & eggs, so why the big deal with milk?
My grandma said it has the consistency of snot, so why would you wanna drink it? She hated milk, grew up big & tall, and was healthy by any measure.
My oldest hates liquid milk. Any flavor, any presentation. So we provide plenty of opportunity to eat other dairy products.
I guess you can gain weight on milk(or Pedisure or what have you), but it's gain for the sheer sake of gain. It isn't a "healthy" gain per sey any more than any other excess calorie can. I mean, why not candy bars? Peanut Butter? Donuts?
Old 10-27-2011, 09:11 PM   #4
FerventlyDreaming
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedbabytoes View Post
Personally, I don't think milk is all that & a bag of chips. My kids like cheese & yogurt & eggs, so why the big deal with milk?
My grandma said it has the consistency of snot, so why would you wanna drink it? She hated milk, grew up big & tall, and was healthy by any measure.
My oldest hates liquid milk. Any flavor, any presentation. So we provide plenty of opportunity to eat other dairy products.
I guess you can gain weight on milk(or Pedisure or what have you), but it's gain for the sheer sake of gain. It isn't a "healthy" gain per sey any more than any other excess calorie can. I mean, why not candy bars? Peanut Butter? Donuts?
yea I don't think I would do that again but it seemed like a good idea at the time. With my wide array of other health issues this was not a major focus for me. I do think its better than cookies etc. It does have vitamins but still not sure I like the whole idea which is why I am reluctant to give PediaSure to DS. He is not under weight, he gets a lot of dairy products, and he takes vitamins so what is it really going to give him that he isn't already getting? I personally don't think anything..... but always feel nervous about going against Dr advice as they are trained for this..... I don't know
Old 10-27-2011, 09:17 PM   #5
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Kids don't need milk. There are plenty of ways to get fat and calcium without it. It isn't even the most absorbable source of calcium. He sounds like he is gaining fine if he lost some weight and gained it back and he is very proportionate. I don't know if he was breastfed or not but if he was it is very common to fall down the charts and gain fast and be at the top of the charts and then fall down the charts. Even if he wasn't breastfed not every babies grows at the same rate and he probably settling into his size. I wouldn't do pediasure in his case. Pediasure can fill them up so they don't eat much food and it does contain sugar. He isn't too small.

Last edited by nohollyhomaker; 10-27-2011 at 09:18 PM.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:25 PM   #6
FerventlyDreaming
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmpmercury View Post
Kids don't need milk. There are plenty of ways to get fat and calcium without it. It isn't even the most absorbable source of calcium. He sounds like he is gaining fine if he lost some weight and gained it back and he is very proportionate. I don't know if he was breastfed or not but if he was it is very common to fall down the charts and gain fast and be at the top of the charts and then fall down the charts. Even if he wasn't breastfed not every babies grows at the same rate and he probably settling into his size. I wouldn't do pediasure in his case. Pediasure can fill them up so they don't eat much food and it does contain sugar. He isn't too small.
He was breastfed until 14 months when he self weened. During that time he was always in the high range. Than he started walking and stopped BFing. Thats when he lost weight and has gone to mid/low of the charts. (I guess I must make fat milk. He was a REALLY fat baby.) He looks proportionate and seems fine to me.

I am a little nervous about the height because it was so unexpected. DH is 6'4 I am 5'4 so we assumed he would likely be tall/average but you never know with that sort of thing. I am sure it could change again.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:33 PM   #7
mamasab
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Pediatricians are not nutritionists. They have less training in this than you think, scary enough!

We do use Boost for kids for my son (I resent being told I may as well give him a donut. There are a lot of vitamins and nutrients in them that I can't get in him otherwise, so I put up with the sugar content.) My DS has extreme pickiness attributed to his autism, and refuses to eat anything that is not white/golden brown. When he dropped in the percentiles, we decided to supplement. However, if he was eating a balanced diet and was otherwise healthy, I would not even consider it. JUST a drop in their curve at that age is really not an indicator of any kind of problem. Oftentimes kids are much more active in that time between 12-18 months and some kids slim out more than others. Without any other indicators of a problem, I would simply continue giving him a balanced diet with additional vitamins if you feel they are necessary. Just my opinion!

Sent from my Droid using DS Forum
mamasab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:34 PM   #8
pcjs
Registered Users

We do Walmart toddler formula and we used to do Gerber Sips (but my son started not to like them after loving them so we stopped as they are $$$) which are the toddler version of pedisure and a don't have as much sugar. We've started to try to transition to 2% milk and my son refuses it. I even stopped to a mama low for me and tried several different kinds of strawberry and chocolate syrup and powder (he's not used to chocolate so he's not a big fan). We also tried the rice, almond and a few others and my son refused them all (though I would not stop with the toddler formula if I switched him to one of those as they don't fully compare).
Old 10-27-2011, 09:43 PM   #9
FerventlyDreaming
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasab View Post
Pediatricians are not nutritionists. They have less training in this than you think, scary enough!

We do use Boost for kids for my son (I resent being told I may as well give him a donut. There are a lot of vitamins and nutrients in them that I can't get in him otherwise, so I put up with the sugar content.) My DS has extreme pickiness attributed to his autism, and refuses to eat anything that is not white/golden brown. When he dropped in the percentiles, we decided to supplement. However, if he was eating a balanced diet and was otherwise healthy, I would not even consider it. JUST a drop in their curve at that age is really not an indicator of any kind of problem. Oftentimes kids are much more active in that time between 12-18 months and some kids slim out more than others. Without any other indicators of a problem, I would simply continue giving him a balanced diet with additional vitamins if you feel they are necessary. Just my opinion!

Sent from my Droid using DS Forum

I do agree the Dr. is NOT a nutritionist. If I was in your situation I would have no issue with it and I agree there are vitamins in them that you cannot get from sweets. DS is not picky. He will eat almost anything you give him. He loves dairy products just not milk and he is also allergic to eggs so he can't have those. Maybe the answer is to just see a nutritionist or leave it alone since he is doing well overall. I just don't want to feel like I am stunting his growth by not giving him the pediasure. I am sure I shouldn't feel that way but I did not grow up with a good diet and I have been working very hard to make sure DS gets the chance to eat healthy.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:46 PM   #10
FerventlyDreaming
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcjs View Post
We do Walmart toddler formula and we used to do Gerber Sips (but my son started not to like them after loving them so we stopped as they are $$$) which are the toddler version of pedisure and a don't have as much sugar. We've started to try to transition to 2% milk and my son refuses it. I even stopped to a mama low for me and tried several different kinds of strawberry and chocolate syrup and powder (he's not used to chocolate so he's not a big fan). We also tried the rice, almond and a few others and my son refused them all (though I would not stop with the toddler formula if I switched him to one of those as they don't fully compare).
These options may be a great alternative! Thanks for the advice I will def check them out. Dr. said he doesn't need them every day so he wont be getting huge quantities anyways. Hopefully we will find something that works for us!