Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-27-2011, 09:55 PM   #11
Ladyinwaiting72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I would NOT do the pediasure. You are right about the sugar. Its nothing more than vitamin fortified millk profuct anyway. Milk is NOT necessary after 12 mo. Calcium, Protein, Vit D, fat and iron ARE however. Make sure he's getting healthy sources of these things including the fat. My DD loves Rice Dream Enriched and Enriched Coconut Milk. Go check out all the milk alternatives at a Whole Foods near you.
other things
--maple flavored yogurt on whole grain waffles
--coconut oil (in place of margarine)
--string cheese
--garbonzo beans
--eggs
--broccoli (calcium)
--spinach
--OJ plus calcium and Vit D

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum App

Advertisement

Ladyinwaiting72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:56 PM   #12
pcjs
Registered Users

Re: *HELP*Advice Needed about NO Milk for DS and PediaSure to supplement

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbreb View Post
These options may be a great alternative! Thanks for the advice I will def check them out. Dr. said he doesn't need them every day so he wont be getting huge quantities anyways. Hopefully we will find something that works for us!
We really like the Walmart toddler formula. You could just do a morning and evening sippy and when you go out. But, I also say that schedule as my son refuses to give up his morning and evening sippy/snuggle sessions and he will not get moving in the morning or go to bed without it (and we like them too). I love taking formula when I am out as it is easy access and cheaper than buying drinks. That was my plan to start to wean (I wanted to do it at 2 when you can go to 2%) but its not working to well and I'm in the pick your battles camp and its not a battle worth fighting. (He will drink 50/50 milk & formula for my husband but not me).

For a long time we used the plain gerbers sips and they have the least amount of sugar but I could not find them anywhere so I switched to the vanilla and strawberry. Toward the end, I don't know if they changed the formula on them but the Strawberry was really gassy.

If you need more specific formula/alternatives, talk to CherryPie. She'll probably stop in here as she was a huge help when I was looking into all the supplements as our ped. told us to go to milk/off formula at one and we didn't know what to do. I know there are more, but I've been out of the alternative search for a while as we finally found what worked.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:59 PM   #13
FerventlyDreaming
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyinwaiting72 View Post
I would NOT do the pediasure. You are right about the sugar. Its nothing more than vitamin fortified millk profuct anyway. Milk is NOT necessary after 12 mo. Calcium, Protein, Vit D, fat and iron ARE however. Make sure he's getting healthy sources of these things including the fat. My DD loves Rice Dream Enriched and Enriched Coconut Milk. Go check out all the milk alternatives at a Whole Foods near you.
other things
--maple flavored yogurt on whole grain waffles
--coconut oil (in place of margarine)
--string cheese
--garbonzo beans
--eggs
--broccoli (calcium)
--spinach
--OJ plus calcium and Vit D

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum App
LOVE the alternatives you offered. These are very helpful. As I said I did NOT grow up w/ a healthy diet and I am working my way toward understanding what a healthy diet is now. (I don't know what garbonzo beans are but I will find out )

Old 10-27-2011, 10:30 PM   #14
mmmommy
Banned

I would not give Pediasure and the like unless there was a nutritional deficiency, health issue that prevented the child from eating enough calories or a food aversion of some type.

I do not think slowing down in growth at his age is abnormal.

My DD is 4 yrs & 3 months and weighs 39 lbs. She weighed 24 lbs at 1 year and 29-30 lbs at 2. She is 46.5" tall currently. I believe that puts her around 50th% for weight and 95th% for height.

She started out and remained in the 90th-95th% for weight until she was 18 months old. She's always been in the upper % for height and will likely remain that way due to genetics.
mmmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:57 PM   #15
rverrone11
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbreb View Post
LOVE the alternatives you offered. These are very helpful. As I said I did NOT grow up w/ a healthy diet and I am working my way toward understanding what a healthy diet is now. (I don't know what garbonzo beans are but I will find out )

Garbanzo beans are also called chick peas. Avocado is another good food. We eat tons of avocado in our house. My older DD does not drink any kind of milk or milk alternative, and hasn't since she weaned (she was 2). We just try to eat a healthy diet and make sure she gets everything she needs from other foods.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:08 PM   #16
an_aurora
Registered Users

My son doesn't do milk since he's allergic. He loves avocado-and-plain coconut milk smoothies, go figure.
an_aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:47 PM   #17
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

brainstormed a lot as dd us on pediasure for nutrition as well as calories. we tried these :http://www.nourishingmeals.com/2010/...dgesicles.html but she hates chocolate (wth?! thats like hating kittens or happy...i don't get it) and also haagen daz. both are at least whole foods and the avocado fudgesicles are sweetened with honey rather than sugar. she gets her ice cream (250 cal/16 grams of fat in 4 oz ) pretty frequently, but in our case this is one way to avoid the ultimate alternative of a feeding tube. we choose ice cream and pediasure over a g-tube. from what it sounds like this is not the choice you are facing.

i probably would attempt to get dd's needs met in other ways than pediasure if it was possible, and we do try new things all the time. it is much different than a donut though. its mostly oil and sugar with added nutrients...YUMMY! but like i said, the alternative is FTT and a g-tube so we choose the lesser of 2 evils.

here's a blog roughly analyzing the caloric benefits of ice cream vs pediasure and includes a homemade recipe using maple syrup as a sweetener rather than the sugar in haagen daz. might make it a little bit more bang for your calcium buck too?

http://mangobounce.blogspot.com/2007...ice-cream.html
Old 10-28-2011, 12:15 AM   #18
amazon_jane21
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
We did pediasure for a few months bc they kept threatening to diagnose DS as FTT, but it is so expensive. Almond milk is a high fat/calorie/protein milk alternative that is pretty similar in consistency and flavor to pediasure, so DS never noticed a difference.
amazon_jane21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:28 AM   #19
monkeymama07
Registered Users
seller

personally I would skip it ... is it the calcium hes saying push or what about the milk is he saying your son needs more of?
Old 10-28-2011, 06:19 AM   #20
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Pasteurized milk is not a good source of...much of anything. Synthetic Vitamin D is added which is not well utilized by the body, and the calcium is changed by heat processing into a form that is also not as good for you. Sunlight is a much better source of Vitamin D, and we also supplement with cod liver oil. We get as much grass-fed cheese as possible, and I also make broth for calcium and use it in soups and sauces. We also have eggs every day ( free-range) and those a great source of many vitamins and minerals.