Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-28-2011, 06:27 AM   #21
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: *HELP*Advice Needed about NO Milk for DS and PediaSure to supplement

None of our Littles have ever really been much for milk. As long as he is having a varied diet I wouldn't be worried. I fear adding pediasure and other drinks like that. I am always concerned that those drinks will fill their tummy and make them not want food which would just create a whole issue. There are other sources of calcium(non-dairy). Does he eat green veggies? Maybe you could add a small greenish smoothie as a snack?

Advertisement

Old 10-28-2011, 06:29 AM   #22
purpledayz
Registered Users

Almond milk is really good. Coconut milk has all sorts of good fats in it. Try comparing the labels while at he store sometime.

Using good oils to cook DS food in is another way to make sure he is getting the right nutrients vs just getting chunked up. Coconut oil and olive are some of the healthiest. We have 4 or 5 different types of oil that I pick at random for cooking.

DS likes to eat any variety of beans right out of the can. I drain and rinse to remove most of the salt and mess. He eats them like popcorn.

BTW my DS just had his 18 month WBC, at 32 inches and 26 pounds (also a stall in weight for him) they put him at about 75% for both height and weight. The doctor didn't seem concerned at all. He did ask how I was dealing with DS not getting calcium from milk. I explained greens, beans, and milk alternatives, dr decided since I seemed to know what I was talking about and since DS is so big, that we didn't need to see a nutritionist like most of his other multiple allergy patients.

So different doctor, same size and age boy, my kid is considered big and perfectly fine without cow milk in any form. I think that means your DS is fine as well
Old 10-28-2011, 07:35 AM   #23
blueone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpledayz View Post
Almond milk is really good. Coconut milk has all sorts of good fats in it. Try comparing the labels while at he store sometime.

Using good oils to cook DS food in is another way to make sure he is getting the right nutrients vs just getting chunked up. Coconut oil and olive are some of the healthiest. We have 4 or 5 different types of oil that I pick at random for cooking.

DS likes to eat any variety of beans right out of the can. I drain and rinse to remove most of the salt and mess. He eats them like popcorn.

BTW my DS just had his 18 month WBC, at 32 inches and 26 pounds (also a stall in weight for him) they put him at about 75% for both height and weight. The doctor didn't seem concerned at all. He did ask how I was dealing with DS not getting calcium from milk. I explained greens, beans, and milk alternatives, dr decided since I seemed to know what I was talking about and since DS is so big, that we didn't need to see a nutritionist like most of his other multiple allergy patients.

So different doctor, same size and age boy, my kid is considered big and perfectly fine without cow milk in any form. I think that means your DS is fine as well
I hate it when a doctor or nutritionist asks or assumes your kid doesn't get calcium if they don't drink milk. I mean really, it's not the only source of calcium out there.

My son has always been on the low side for weight, but the doctor isn't concerned. He's still as energetic as usual. Also, growth slows down a lot after a year. They aren't shooting up like they did as babies anymore so they don't need to eat as much as usual therefore slow on the weight gain.

As for dairy, my son has a major reaction to milk protein so we are a strict no dairy family. He drinks lots of Silk Coconut Milk (lots of really good fats and so tasty and creamy!) He loves peanut butter and toast so we do that, and so on. There are a lot of healthy options and honestly, I'm totally against pedia sure and other forms of over sweetened vitamins to encourage weight gain. It's just not healthy and doesn't exactly teach healthy eating habits.

Try snacks with avocado. Bake with canned coconut milk (very healthy and high in healthy fat), in fact I have a pudding recipe that calls for canned coconut milk if you want it (it's basically sugar free jello pudding with a quarter of canned coconut milk and the rest being regular dairy free milk, it helps it thicken). What about cottage cheese? That's healthy. Oh, mixing peanut butter with applesauce and topping it with cinnamon is so so good!

So yeah...lots of options there and it doesn't have to be pediasure.

Last edited by blueone; 10-28-2011 at 07:38 AM.
blueone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:16 PM   #24
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedbabytoes View Post
Personally, I don't think milk is all that & a bag of chips. My kids like cheese & yogurt & eggs, so why the big deal with milk?
My grandma said it has the consistency of snot, so why would you wanna drink it? She hated milk, grew up big & tall, and was healthy by any measure.
My oldest hates liquid milk. Any flavor, any presentation. So we provide plenty of opportunity to eat other dairy products.
I guess you can gain weight on milk(or Pedisure or what have you), but it's gain for the sheer sake of gain. It isn't a "healthy" gain per sey any more than any other excess calorie can. I mean, why not candy bars? Peanut Butter? Donuts?
This. Also, when I looked up how much sugar is in Pedialyte I was kinda surprised...

Q: How many grams of sugar/carbohydrates are in this product? The sugar/carbohydrate used in Pedialyte, which is an ingredient called dextrose, is listed below, per formulation.

Formulation Sugar (Dextrose)
Singles 5.3-5.6 g per 200 mL/6.8 fl oz
Powder Packs 5.7 g per 8.5 g pack reconstituted with 8 fl oz water
Freezer Pops 25 g per Liter
Liter 25 g per Liter

http://pedialyte.com/ask-us

I have yet to buy whole milk but from what I can find on-line, it looks like there is about 11g of sugar in one 8 oz serving. That is more sugar than the Pedialyte... I guess I don't see how either are really great options... It sounds like some PPs have given some really good food ideas - I'm taking notes.

Last edited by colin-mylilguy; 10-31-2011 at 12:31 PM.
colin-mylilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:18 PM   #25
Djuna2
Registered Users

My Mood:

My five-year-old has never in his life had a glass of milk. He won't touch it. I have a severe dairy allergy that reacts most strongly to milk and ice cream, so I don't push it. He is willing to eat a ton of cheese, yogurt, etc. His pediatricians have never been concerned.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:42 PM   #26
me_just_me
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin-mylilguy View Post
This. Also, when I looked up how much sugar is in Pedialyte I was kinda surprised...

Q: How many grams of sugar/carbohydrates are in this product? The sugar/carbohydrate used in Pedialyte, which is an ingredient called dextrose, is listed below, per formulation.

Formulation Sugar (Dextrose)
Singles 5.3-5.6 g per 200 mL/6.8 fl oz
Powder Packs 5.7 g per 8.5 g pack reconstituted with 8 fl oz water
Freezer Pops 25 g per Liter
Liter 25 g per Liter

http://pedialyte.com/ask-us

I have yet to buy whole milk but from what I can find on-line, it looks like there is about 11g of sugar in one 8 oz serving. That is more sugar than the Pedialyte... I guess I don't see how either are really great options... It sounds like some PPs have given some really good food ideas - I'm taking notes.
Pedialyte is a drink to give sick kids when worried about dehydration (kinda like Gatoade) It is different from PediaSure.

My DD can't drink milk, but she gets her calcium from other foods. My DS doesn't like milk, so he hardly drinks it. They both do like almond milk though. I would focus on nutrient dense foods like many previous posters have mentioned. If he is otherwise a good eater, I wouldn't sabotage that by adding in a sweet drink!
Old 10-31-2011, 03:31 PM   #27
BeedieWeedieB
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My oldest won't do milk or any cheese OT cheese flavor foods. That being said at times he will do chocolate milk, for dessert he will do a milkshake if offered. As a nightly beverage we do keifer and he likes it.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:18 PM   #28
Carolyn528
Registered Users
seller

I didn't read the other posts, so sorry if this is a repeat. Are you concerned that your LO is not not getting calcium? If that's it, make sure he's getting some green leafy veggies. I bake spinach in muffins sometimes and the kiddos don't even know. You can put it in smoothies too.
Kids do not NEED dairy. This is a myth put out by the dairy industry. Calcium is readily available (and more digestible for humans) from veggies and some nuts too. Plus, everything these days is calcium fortified...oj, cereal, etc.
B 6/9/11
Due 10/30
Carolyn528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 05:41 PM   #29
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbreb View Post

Do you have a LO who wont drink milk? How do you make up for it or get them to drink it? What should I do? Just give the PediaSure? DH says 1 PediaSure has as much sugar as a pop! I don't know what I should do.......
The point of the sugar is to get calories in him. You want sugar because you want medically controlled calories that the body will absorb easily. Sugar is not evil. Your son needs the calories, as well as the nutrition.

I would ask for a referral to a pediatric nutritionist to do a full workup for you. He or she will examine the diet, and make suggestions. We love ours.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:24 PM   #30
an_aurora
Registered Users

You want more calories from protein and healthy carbs. Sugar burns off too fast. You don't necessarily want more calories, you want more HEALTHY calories. Feeding a skinny kid butter and ice cream is not a good idea. avocado, dark meat chicken, cheese, eggs, etc that are high in calories AND nutrients is much preferable to the empty calories in sugar.
an_aurora is offline   Reply With Quote