Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-28-2011, 07:49 AM   #1
Mysweetseven
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Reading/English HELP (8 y/o)

I would really appreciate any ideas for my 8 y/o DS. He went to PS in kingergarten and we started HSing in 1st grade. He struggled with reading in Kindy at PS and I don't feel like we made alot of progress in any subject last year to be honest. It was our first year of homeschooling and I feel like we were just kind of finding our way. KWIM?

I really wanted to keep with reading/math all through the summer but we didn't, which I am now regretting big time. We started the year knowing that he was behind in this area and so we started with just reviewing the sight word flashcards and using some Nora Gaydos books. He gets through the flashcards pretty quickly now but he struggles to put the sentences together when we are reading a book. We haven't even started English yet because of this and we are moving slow in spelling. The 2nd grade reading program that I bought him is way over his head (winterpromise) and I'm not sure where to go from here.

My thought is to start over at the very beginning and sticking with one curriculum. I really want to get him on track but I'm not sure where to go from here.

Advertisement

Mysweetseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:52 AM   #2
walking-iris
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Reading/English HELP (8 y/o)

Get some Explode the Code workbooks. I would guess from your post that you might want to start with Book 3 or 4---if that's too easy move up---too hard move back. Even if it's easy for him it would be good review.

Also get a reading book such as The Ordinary Parents Guide To Reading or Alphaphonics or Teach Your Child To Read in 100 Lessons.

You can maybe get these from your library. Look through and find what lessons your son can read and then start from there. My personal favorite is The Ordinary Parents Guide.

Last edited by walking-iris; 10-28-2011 at 08:53 AM.
walking-iris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:37 AM   #3
Mysweetseven
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have heard some good things about Teach Your Child To Read in 100 Lessons. I"m going to stop by the library today and see if they have it. I used Explode the Code with my DD. I"m going to check into those too.

Thanks.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:14 PM   #4
JackieLyn
feeling festive
seller

My Mood:

You can use the Ordinary Parent's guide with the Explode the Code books...doing that with my MDS right now
Old 10-28-2011, 09:29 PM   #5
me_just_me
Registered Users

My Mood:

You could look at Progressive Phonics. It is pretty much a primer that you work through at your own pace. I really like it and how it teaches. I also have 100 easy lessons, but really don't like the way it teaches or the way the book is laid out. It doesn't look very fun for a kid to read from at all.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:21 PM   #6
mommyshanti
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i used hooked on phonics workbooks with my son when he was younger comes w/ a dvd too fun and gives lots of confidence. maybe you could start at 1st grade level.
http://www.hookedonphonics.com/learn...garten-level-1
also lots and lots of reading

Last edited by mommyshanti; 10-28-2011 at 11:22 PM.
mommyshanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 04:44 AM   #7
mjg2043
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
100 Easy Lessons bored my child to tears.

I second Explode the Code. Also look at some online options. Reading Eggs or Starfall might work. My dd loves doing these and they help get them engaged.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:16 AM   #8
linz2491
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Reading reflex. It cam be bought at barnes and noble I think. It is simple, and it works.
Lindsay, mom to intact boys Aidan 12 Roan 7 and Gabby Rose 5 :no longer breastfeeding, or cloth diapering, sometimes co sleeping, had 2 unassisted home births, but still non vaxing, unassisted home birthing and home schooling
linz2491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:04 AM   #9
Mysweetseven
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thank you for all of the suggestions. I'll going to spend some time this afternoon researching them!! And I do agree that if we just keep reading that it will take hold.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:13 PM   #10
JackieLyn
feeling festive
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_just_me View Post
You could look at Progressive Phonics. It is pretty much a primer that you work through at your own pace. I really like it and how it teaches. I also have 100 easy lessons, but really don't like the way it teaches or the way the book is laid out. It doesn't look very fun for a kid to read from at all.
I throw in some Progressive Phonics here and there too It's free too! I just found a site that I just posted about too. http://www.readingbear.org