Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-28-2011, 09:28 AM   #1
twood80
Registered Users
seller
seller

Impatient

Background: Four days a week my 3.5 month old LO has to eat from a bottle while I'm at work; this has been our routine since she was 8 weeks old. She's fed exclusively milk, whether from the tap or the bottle, and I'm not currently entertaining alternatives such as formula. The three days a week I'm not at work, she gets on cue access to the tap, and eats/suckles lots; we have no problem with her enjoying eating and the associated snuggling. And thankfully her latch is great.

Besides the usual issues of she's eating way too much at daycare compared to what I can pump, we have a new issue. She's gotten spoiled by the instant gratification of the bottle, and this week she's been impatient and frustrated at my lack of immediate let down when she latches on to nurse. Her frustration is expressed by nursing for <5 seconds, popping off and flailing an arm at the breast, possibly squawking, latching back on, repeat. Obviously this isn't enough to trigger let down.

Is there anything I can have her daycare provider do when offering the bottle to help reduce my LO's expectation of immediate gratification? An empty bottle or loose bottle nipple offered first? Or would that just give my LO a belly full of air?

Anything I can/should be doing when my LO is with me to reduce her impatience? Thanks!

Advertisement

twood80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:49 AM   #2
teacherpippi
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Impatient

Are you using a slow enough nipple on the bottle?
How is your dcp feeding her?
Here are some tips from kellymom.com
http://kellymom.com/bf/pumping/bottle-feeding.html
teacherpippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:37 AM   #3
KristieW
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Are you still using a newborn flow on the nipple? If not, go back to that. Often DCPs want a faster flow nipple because it's quicker for baby to finish a feeding, but that's not good BFing practice. Also, make sure that your provider is mimicking BFing feeding patterns with the bottle. Kellymom has great info on this. As a bonus, you might find that your LO eats less because she's controlling her feeds rather than having them poured into her tummy.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:21 PM   #4
twood80
Registered Users
seller
seller

The bottles we've provided for the DCP are Avent, with only the newborn/size1 nipples. We tried the Breastflow nipple system at home, but didn't have any luck convincing her to take it, but she was new to bottles at the time so it may be worth trying again. Cup/spoon feeding is a good idea, as are the KellyMom suggestions about asking the DCP to provide pauses and try to stretch out the amount of time any single feeding takes. Glad to have a printable resource to hold a discussion over with the DCP.
twood80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 02:31 PM   #5
BottomOfMyHearts
Registered Users
Formerly: NewFoundFaith
seller

My Mood:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20

Try these OP.

Let me tell you why...

1 They are SLOW flow and the holes are on the top so it depresses into the roof of their mouth when they suck mimicking the breast.

2 They are super easy to clean, only 3 parts.

I've tried all the "expensive" bottles out there before, VentAirs, Dr.Browns, etc, but trust me, these are pure gold and CHEAP! ;D

Good luck mama.

New Contest coming Soon!Please visit my Facebook store! <--Click
BottomOfMyHearts is offline   Reply With Quote