Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-29-2011, 12:48 AM   #11
*Aimee*
Registered Users
seller

Re: So hard to be a homeschooling atheist

Im Christian, but live in Utah (in a town that is 97% lds) and we are NOT LDS and it's so hard! I can totally see where you're coming from. None of the LDS mama's want to hang out with me or my kids. And any of their "secular" stuff has lds theology in it, which I dont want them learning and is a huge reason I'm homeschooling in the first place. Add to that, that I have 11 tattoos and DH is fully sleeved and it's a very lonely life. Anyway, I know it's not the same to just email someone, but I totally get you and if you ever want to chat just pm me!

Advertisement

Old 10-29-2011, 01:03 AM   #12
AHIAMOM
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm agnostic/athiest (still deciding) in Citrus Heights. Have you tried the SUN network? I went once and LOVED the people there but my oldest didn't connect so I never went back I know what you mean though, it's pretty much assumed that homeschooling and religion go hand in hand.
Earn money for your searches with Swagbucks http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/mom2my4kiddos
AHIAMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 01:12 AM   #13
Sassafras
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

sorry but when i think of "harvest party" around halloween time all i can think of is the movie children of the corn, which is FAR scarier to me than any costume

My 2014 ISO/IHA
Sassafras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 04:39 AM   #14
mjg2043
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
We are Catholic and Halloween is celebrated in this house. We also recognize Dia de Los Muertos and All Souls Day. The second two are absolutely religious holidays, and about honoring the dead.

I suppose since we are not fundamentalist Christian our perception is different regarding the events this time of year.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:32 AM   #15
kjo
Registered Users
Formerly: kjwa***n
seller

I don't find it offensive at all I have some non-Christian friends that have found great resources at the nearby university for things like science classes etc. Do you have any colleges nearby? Might be worth checking on...
kjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 09:42 AM   #16
GLAZmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm a recovering christian (agnostic) so it will interesting to get out there in our new area. I know how uptight christians can be cause I was one LOL Not looking forward to having to deal with my former self
As for Halloween, if they want it called "harvest" cause of their beliefs, then I'd be correcting them with "merry christmas" and insist they call say "happy holidays" or "seasons greetings" but the entire christmas was stolen from pagan and other religions anyway

Last edited by GLAZmommy; 10-29-2011 at 09:43 AM.
GLAZmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:21 AM   #17
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg2043 View Post
We are Catholic and Halloween is celebrated in this house. We also recognize Dia de Los Muertos and All Souls Day. The second two are absolutely religious holidays, and about honoring the dead.

I suppose since we are not fundamentalist Christian our perception is different regarding the events this time of year.
We are the same here

Deanna

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:20 PM   #18
Emma
Registered Users
seller

I don't know if it will help you find anyone locally, but at least you can find others online.

http://www.secularhomeschool.com/forum.php
Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:25 PM   #19
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaD777 View Post
I am a believer and would have a problem with scary Halloween parties. I would however send my kids to a harvest party. Not the same thing at all IMO. A harvest party, to me, is where you do fall related activities and is not geared towards scary. I would also be OK with a Halloween party that does not focus on the scary stuff. No skulls, skeletons, devils, etc.. A fun dress up party is great fun for people of all faiths. There are lots of things to dress up as that are not creepy. But, I am sorry you are having a hard time connecting to other homeschooling families.
OT - Interesting. I had never heard it this way before and it does make sense to me. We do celebrate Halloween, as I said above, but we don't do anything scary like you said. I'm strict about that. I did turn down a Halloween party this year because I couldn't imagine it not having the "scary" aspect to it. Not even that it would actually scare anyone, but that I'm not okay with the skulls and vampires and such. Thanks for sharing what you feel the difference it.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:10 PM   #20
Aleta
Registered Users
seller
seller

We're Christian and we do Halloween - no witches or devils though (per DH) and last year we had a huge Halloween Costume Party. No scary stuff, because my kids are still under 8 and its not fun to have four kids in bed with you!

If you really want to bring the kids together and forge friendships, why not just change it to a 'Costume Party?' If you really have no desire to forge friendships with them because they are Christian, than why care if they come to your party or not? I'm not trying to be snarky, but either find a secular group to hang out with or respect the semantics of the ones you choose to hang out with. I doubt any of them would invite you to their 'Nativity Play' because they know you are not Christian - or I don't know, lol - maybe they WOULD and try to convert you

like me on Facebook

Last edited by Aleta; 10-29-2011 at 11:12 PM.
Aleta is offline   Reply With Quote