Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-28-2011, 03:42 PM   #1
kateroc
Registered Users
seller

Vitamins?

Do you give your ebf babies vitamins? If so, which ones and what brand? Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 10-28-2011, 04:09 PM   #2
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Vitamins?

At what age? What vitamins are you interested in? Why?

I have a 10 month old LO and we've never done supplements. We had his iron levels checked at 6 months and 9 months and they were normal. He gets all the iron he needs from breastmilk (contrary to the untrue info a lot of misinformed Pedi's are giving out these days...) and he gets some of his vitamin D from breastmilk and the rest from a little old fashioned sun exposure. He is healthy, happy, growing and fat. No need for supplements. I could see maybe doing vitamin D if you're just not getting out door play time regularly (you only need about 30 minutes per WEEK in the summer and an hour per week in the winter) but iron can be harmful.

Kellymom.com has some great info on iron and other vitamin supplements for little ones: http://kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/iron.html

HTH Mama! GL!
Old 10-28-2011, 05:52 PM   #3
kateroc
Registered Users
seller

Thanks . DS is 10 wks and the NP at his 2 mo check up mentioned that I needed to start giving him vitamins but then we started talking about something else and I forgot to follow up with her for details. I was just curious what the mamas here do for infants.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:20 PM   #4
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kateroc View Post
Thanks . DS is 10 wks and the NP at his 2 mo check up mentioned that I needed to start giving him vitamins but then we started talking about something else and I forgot to follow up with her for details. I was just curious what the mamas here do for infants.
Huh... yeah, that's kinda an open-ended recommendation. It doesn't sound very specific to *your* baby... Did she mention a reason your baby would need something specifically? I would just ask. Doesn't hurt to ask.

My Pedi came in with a printed off medical journal article the last time I saw him. He knows me so well.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:09 PM   #5
ChocoMeijin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My ped told me to give DS vitamin D which i've been doing. We do live in a colder climate and i'm cheap and live in a basement so we live in the dark a bit too i did some research on vit D for people and it's very interesting, i recommend googling it and taking a look. I'm also taking it and making DH take it.

Pretty sure if you live in a warmer climate it's unecessary/only good during the winter.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:27 PM   #6
lolis
Registered Users

My Mood:

carlson baby d drops
lolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 09:10 AM   #7
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Yep, I give carlson D3 drops. No matter how much time you spend outdoors, you don't get adequate Vitamin D.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:21 AM   #8
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor View Post
Yep, I give carlson D3 drops. No matter how much time you spend outdoors, you don't get adequate Vitamin D.
That's not actually true... It is possible to get an adequate amount of vitamin D from sun exposure. It was the way our bodies were meant to derive vitamin D. When the body is able to synthesize vitamin D naturally, it can fully regulate how much is absorbed. This is not true with supplements...

Getting *enough* vitamin D does depend on several variables so I removed my comment about how much is needed. You can make a more accurate decision based on the info on kellymom.com.

kellymom.com on vitamin D: http://kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/vitamin-d.html

What bothers me is that babies vitamin D levels aren't checked before they are *routinely* put on a vitamin D supplement so how do doctors know if they even NEED it??? The test requires a very large vial of blood, which wouldn't be reasonable to take from an infant or even small child... But there are negative side effects from getting too much vitamin D. How many Pediatrician's are telling Mom's this before starting supplements?

These are the negative side effects of too much vitamin D:
Side Effects

Too much vitamin D can make the intestines absorb too much calcium. This may cause high levels of calcium in the blood. High blood calcium can lead to:

Calcium deposits in soft tissues such as the heart and lungs
Confusion and disorientation
Damage to the kidneys
Kidney stones
Nausea, vomiting, constipation, poor appetite, weakness, and weight loss

Many of these symptoms (like constipation, poor appetite, weight loss) are early signs. The other symptoms would be hard to detect with out the right testing.... Babies can't tell us their joints hurt from calcium deposits... I realize this is an extreme but there always are extremes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoMeijin View Post
My ped told me to give DS vitamin D which i've been doing. We do live in a colder climate and i'm cheap and live in a basement so we live in the dark a bit too i did some research on vit D for people and it's very interesting, i recommend googling it and taking a look. I'm also taking it and making DH take it.

Pretty sure if you live in a warmer climate it's unecessary/only good during the winter.
Totally just depends on where you live and how much sun exposure you get. Sounds like vitamin D is a good idea in your situation.

Vitamin D is fat soluble and is therefore stored in our fat. Even if we do not get enough sun exposure through the winter months, the exposure we receive during the summer months (if adequate) should be plenty to provide all we need to take us through winter...

Our bodies are quite remarkable and typically work very well the way they were designed to work. I just don't like how medicine seems to be constantly *tweaking* things and trying to "re-invent the wheel" so to speak. All things in moderation, ya know? IMO, babies shouldn't need supplements, generally speaking. I just feel like there are a lot of "blanket recommendations" that don't really account for the individual and that is when things can get messed up (IMO).

Sorry about the novel... I just found it interesting & helpful to read more about vitamin D and other supplements and thought other Mama's might find it helpful, too.

Last edited by colin-mylilguy; 10-30-2011 at 01:21 PM.
colin-mylilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 01:25 AM   #9
flobee76
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

At around 9 months, I started giving them drops of Fermented Cod Liver oil (Green Pastures brand). I consider Fermented cod liver oil a food and not a supplement since it's naturally derived, not synthetic.
Mom to DD (5/04), DS (8/07), DD (2/09)DD (5/13), Blessing #4 in the arms of Jesus 11/2011

Jesus-follower, Traditional Foodie, Homeschooler, frugal-er

Last edited by flobee76; 10-30-2011 at 01:27 AM.
flobee76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:30 AM   #10
Connor
Registered Users
seller

I didn't do it as a "baby", my "baby" is 2yo. I attended a LLL breastfeeding conference in July for CERP credits and that's what their research showed. They had figures and well laid out info. Also, it's pretty hard to od on VitD.