Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-09-2006, 01:53 PM   #11
Watercolor Ponies
Professional, Proficient, PeeWell Procurer (or anything else you want me to stalk!)
seller

My Mood:
Re: Ok...did any of think of NOT using CD once you started?

The first time I tried with ds#2, I pretty much knew I was going to give up. And I did. When I decided to make the attempt the second time, I did more research (found DS ) and really put it into my mind that we were not going to use sposies any more no matter what. I will tell you it does get tiresome sometimes, with the washing, but I just remember how much time (not money, time) I have invested so far, and how happy it makes me and my family to CD. And I had to prove my friends and family they were wrong about my CD flakiness after I bailed so fast the first time around!

Advertisement

Watercolor Ponies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 02:03 PM   #12
masonite
Whip Crackin Wagon Driver!
seller

My Mood:

Never.

I had thought about it for a long time. I did a lot of research. The day that we finally decided to do it, I rememeber hovering over the "order" button and feeling sick to my stomach. I was so nervous that I would hate it, or it wouldn't work for us, and we'd be out a lot of money. (I wasn't thinking about re-selling them...)

Anyway. The day that my dipes got here, I never looked back! We've had moments when my son was sick with the poops, and it was a little more gross to clean out the dipe, but I never considered throwing in the towel. In fact, more often than not, I just think how glad I am that I made the decision to do this.

That being said, I've never CDed a newborn. There is so much that goes on during those first months of life. I wouldn't feel bad if I "needed" to use sposies for a few weeks and then go back to trying my cloth once things got more settled.

That's the great thing about it all--there are no rules!

I *heart* cloth. I've never looked back.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:17 PM   #13
aliks
Registered Users
seller

After his nasty bleeding scaly rash disappeared within a few days of being in cloth, I knew I couldn't go back!
aliks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 02:39 PM   #14
kkweight
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The first week was the hardest. It wasnt even hard.lol I just had to get down a good wash routine and feel confident it was adequate enough.
Then in the first week i also had to find diapers that would work best. In the beginning DD was such a heavy wetter that not only did i have to find diapers that i liked but they had to be absorbant as well. I quickly found out what i needed to have.lol
Also, in the first few weeks, i didnt have the money to buy a ton of diapers, so during the day i CD and during the night i used a sposie until i could figure things out better and find a good night time system.

Honestly, alot of times when people talk to me and say negative stuff, i ask them waht types of CD they use. I have never once ran across someone that talks aobut the brands we all know and love. The people that stop are the ones who use the diaper services adn the gerber prefolds foprm Walmart.lol Now wonder they didnt CD!lol
kkweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 02:44 PM   #15
navars2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes. And, actually, I did quite for quite a while. We started CD'ing DD when she was about two months old. She had a horrible rash that she'd had since her saliva came in and would never go away. I'd wanted to CD anyway but DH wasn't completely enthused and money was tight and MIL was buying most of our 'sposies so we hadn't. With the rash, we switched to prefolds and velcro wraps. We also tried a few 'crats but I never could get them to work. The prefolds and wraps worked well but were boring. We kept this up till she was ten or eleven months old. At that point, we tried 'sposies again because we were going to be going to the beach for a week over the summer and 'sposies were going to be easier. She ended up being fine with them at that point so we used them for vacation. After vacation, we slowly drifted back to using 'sposies full time... I was dealing with depression and just having a hard time keeping anything together. The extra laundry just was making it worse. Fast forward a year... DD was 85-90% pt/pl at two. We moved when she was 27 months old, though, and she completely regressed... We worked with her a ton and finally got her back to completely day trained but she was not at all night trained anymore. She was soaking the bed about 1/3 of the time. She was either dry or soaked. She is very susceptible to yeast rashes/infections so I could not reuse pull-ups/diapers and I hated throwing the thing away two out of three nights still dry. LOL I also hated reusing it without the yeast factor because it just seemed horrible to me (I wouldn't want to reuse underwear even if I only wore it overnight). So, I picked up a few diapers for night which she used until she finally night trained. As I was pregnant with DS, I started picking up fun diapers for Thomas and have really been loving it this time around. The fun diapers have made a huge difference.
navars2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 03:11 PM   #16
kissum
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Honestly- yes. But I never did and I'm glad! It's overwhelming in the beginnig trying to find a system that works for you. But now I love it!
kissum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 04:22 PM   #17
Getz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Not once I started. I love it!

But I did have some moments during my pregnancy when I really wondered what I was getting myself into!

I have no problems using spoises now and then. But overall I love Cloth!!
Old 06-09-2006, 04:40 PM   #18
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

As soon as I snapped on my first Fuzzi Bunz, I thought "Never again will I use disposables!" and I didn't. And it wasn't hard for me, although my stash was all FB which made it easier. I find it incredibly fun, and I have since the beginning, but I can understand how people with different kinds of dipes, or pfs, might want to give up at first.

And I get to my mom because she didn't think I'd last a week!
SheilaJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 10:14 PM   #19
ltelly00
Registered Users

When all I had was Gerber prefolds, I knew it was something I couldn't do. Then I got a few more here and there and here and there and it just felt right to use them at home. Then I found things that worked better and better and just couldn't picture turning back! We do use the occasional sposie (daycare, sick poops, things like that) but I honestly can't stand the smell anymore of sposies. There's NO way I could dream of not using my cloth!!!
ltelly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 10:32 PM   #20
Kelolsen-and-Padawan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If I had this board, I never would have had those thoughts. I had problems at first w/ my small FBs. I thin he was too small when I first started, but then I didn't now the "tricks". I was using just hemp inserts and he'd leak -I didn't know about the trick to wrap the hemp insert inside a mf towel. I gave up at first and then wanted to try again w/ the mf towel trick but he was too big. I sold the small FBs and tried the mf towel thing w/ the medium pockets w/ great success! I used dispoables in the interim. Next baby though,I feel way more prepared to be successful right away. I've accepted that sometimes CDs leak b/c, lets face it, disposables do too! Actually, I have major poop leaks w/ disposables, but never w/ cloth!