Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-10-2006, 08:18 PM   #41
punkmama3
Registered Users

Re: Ok...did any of think of NOT using CD once you started?

When we were using the service, I wanted to quit because my son kept getting these horrible rashes from whatever it was they were using. I ended up buying some of our own, and eventually stopped using the service. Once we had our own, I knew I couldn't use sposies again! Even after lugging them back and forth to the laundromat and even washing them by hand (quite literally. I even had to ring them out by hand, gives you blisters, ouch!), I just knew sposies would never enter this house again!

Advertisement

Old DS feedback here: http://www.kikifoxito.com/ds/forum/i...p?topic=2838.0
punkmama3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 08:30 PM   #42
mamagina
Registered Users
seller

Hummm. Well, no, I didn't think I'd stop. I did start with the gerber birdseye ones, so I didn't totally love it..

But once I found better diapers - uh, no. I LOVE cloth. And yes, people think I'm nuts
Old 06-10-2006, 08:54 PM   #43
sunsera
Registered Users

There was one day that I considered giving up. I was recovering from a c-section, my 85 yr old grandmother (who needs care herself) was staying with us, I was having trouble breastfeeding, the baby had jaundice, etc. etc. I told my husband, "maybe I can't do the CD thing." He wouldn't let me give up and I'm *so glad*! It was just a one day thing, but it's now so easy it feels like second nature!
sunsera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 09:48 PM   #44
mihrimah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No- I never had a moment of rethinking. Actually, I have gotten even more passionate about CDing. I totally totally expected to have diaper pins and rubber pants and swish and dunk and I was willing to do that. Imagine my surprise to NEVER use a single diaper pin (although I have a lot!) and I've never even used a pull-up diaper cover and I have never ever swished or dunked!!
And, my DD is SOOOOO cute in her adorable diapers and covers and there are no comercial logos or characters on her behind!!
No- I never had a moment of doubt.

But, the comment that gets me is when people say that I'm just so much better than them... for thinking about the environment or whatever. It never feels like a compliment, KWIM?
ArtistryYarns on Indie Dyers Cooperative: A glorious yarn and fiber shop!
mihrimah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 08:47 AM   #45
lararum
Banned

Well, I did give up...for a while. When I was pregnant I was gungho cd. I stocked up on pfs and covers I got on ebay. I found some stuff at the thrift, and my sils sent me stuff too. When dd got here, I kept putting off starting the cloth. I had everything clean and ready to go. I just kept thinking it would be awful. So it was when I tried it part-time for a month. I just couldn't hack it, and kept having leak after leak and major irritation. I said forget it. We sposied dd until she was 15mos.
I decided to try cloth again due to continuous rash issues. Started off with pockets. That was what I should have gotten to begin with, but I thought they were too expensive. I cd'ed her at first full time with only 6 HH. I've slowly built up the stash. Originally all pockets, now fitteds and wool, and I just got some pfs again I will never use sposies again. We are going on vacation at the end of August, so I am bringing cloth with us(in a carry-on).
Of course, I am totally cd obsessed, and hang out at hyena cart and here too much
lararum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 09:04 AM   #46
aimeemarie
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRossFamily
We have occasional leaks, but never poo, i would rather deal with wicking than poo leaks.

We were having poop blow outs with sposies with pretty much every poop. I'd rather deal with a little wicking than pulling her pants down to find her leg or back covered in poop.
Old 06-11-2006, 12:34 PM   #47
Lasciate
Registered Users

My Mood:

Nope. I did research for at least a month before I started (started at 3 months), bought 1 FB and 1 Wonderoo to see 'in person' and fell totally in love. I then ordered 6 more of each with JamTots hemp inserts and once those arrived the disposables were gone. I remember it because the mail came at 8pm that night and I spent a few hours washing and prepping the hemp inserts so I could start using them first thing in the morning. I kept the diapers stuffed and snapped on the proper settings to make them easy for my husband to use at first, now he can stuff and snap them himself We got a diaper sprayer *before* we started solids.

Now I use fitteds in addition to pockets (we switched from FB to Swaddlebees once the small FB were outgrown) and wouldn't even think of buying disposables again. I love my cloth.
Lasciate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 01:27 PM   #48
Hootemcboob
Registered Users

My Mood:

We had been fighting a rash for what seemed like months. At every diaper change we would slather his bum in some new combo of ointments and I couldn't believe the waste from sposies. We would go through a box a week! My mom tried to tell me to use cloth. I was a flat and pins baby myself. I even had a friend offer to pay 50% of the cost of a lott of wonderoos for Cash and I declined
So when my son was about 3 months old a lot of mommas from another board gave me some dipes and got me started and I have never considered going back to sposies for good. I do sometimes get tired of the washings as right now we need about 5 more fb to have a decent rotation so every now and then I put him in a sposie if I have one left over from camping or if I have an outfit that is a little tight. I would say I full time CD 99% of the time. I also had a lot of support other than my brother @@
Hootemcboob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 06:40 PM   #49
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes, we actually did stop for a few months. I started CDing with baby#4 when he was about 15 mos and I was newly pregnant w/ #5. I figured it would be better on the old pocketbook and enviornment so why not? My ds went through a HORRIBLE pooping phase and it was just a gag every time I even LOOKED at a diaper. It was pretty bad and I was pregnant... I was also working FT and it was just TOO much for me. I tried again when the baby was born and they didn't do well with BM poopies. I had the Kushies Ultra AOIs and the poop just ran out the back or sides. He was almost 9lbs so he wasn't a really tiny guy, I was pretty disappointed. BUT when friends in my birth club started talking about it I jumped back in. I'm a SAHM now so its easier than when I was working. I also found FBs which are like 1000x better for us than prefolds and covers which is what we used before. I'm not CDing my 2yr old, I tried a couple time but he's just NOT going for it. We're also potty training starting this week (AHHHH!!) and I purchased a huge box of Huggies Supremes on clearance waaay before I started CDing again. We just opened those up so I do not plan on buying sposies ever again, even with another baby. I have tried fitteds and pockets and PUL and wool and hemp... I know what I like now and I know what I don't necessarily want to use. Its great for some ppl but not for others which is what's great about CDs. Sposies are a made for all babies, not really adjustable and so rough when compared to CDs!! OMG, dh put one on the baby and I almost flipped! He hadn't even peed yet so I snached that right offa him! LOL I don't want his soft hieny to touch anything that rough again. BUT my point... I did go back but then I realized and came back to CDs for good!
Old 06-11-2006, 07:20 PM   #50
tararaboomdeea
Banned
sitesupporter

I did! That first week SUCKED! I felt so overwhelmed and felt like I had no idea what I was doing. I was on this board so much asking questions and my eyes were getting dry from reading so much But after that first week and figuring out what worked, I haven't looked back. It's been 5 or 6 weeks now that we have been CDing and aside from a few bad days, I love it I actually think it's fun to wash and fold and stuff and I love talking about CDing and telling people about it. What can I say? I'm addcited and I know with our next baby we will CD from birth
tararaboomdeea is offline   Reply With Quote