Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-19-2012, 01:01 PM   #51
NorwexMa
Registered Users
seller

Re: Snowsuits/puffy coats and car seats don't mix! How to keep your kid warm AND saf

Thanks so much!
So...I"m assuming the JJ Cole fleece lined bundle me's are a no no?

Advertisement

I enjoy being thrifty green with Norwex! http://leahrus.norwex.biz
NorwexMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:26 AM   #52
an_aurora
Registered Users

Re: Snowsuits/puffy coats and car seats don't mix! How to keep your kid warm AND saf

Yes, anything that goes between the seat and child, or the child and the straps, is a no-no. That includes Bundle-Me type bunting bags, snowsuits, padding, etc.
an_aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:13 PM   #53
ltlmrs
Registered Users
seller

So I think you've finally convinced me. However, how do you keep the kids warm from home to car and from car to destination? We live in an apartment and sometimes the nearest parking space is too far to just "dash" in the cold. And I can never find a spot close to the entrance of a store and sometimes we have quite a hike. Then when it's raining or snowing or windy it just seems like getting the kids in and out of seats and coats means that the car doors are open forever with rain/snow/wind deluging the car. By the time I can get a coat on the kid they're soaked through. It's easy to do with an infant in a carrier since they can be snug all the time, but older kids?
Old 11-27-2012, 06:23 PM   #54
an_aurora
Registered Users

They just wear safe layers or take their coat off once they get in the car.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:30 PM   #55
NorwexMa
Registered Users
seller

I understand the previous post. DS can't take off his coat and tie himself in, so the door hangs open while I do it all, and the ever-present SD wind blows thru the whole vehicle, and on the baby. I could put a light jacket on him underneath his heavy one, but that still is a lot of "open door time".

I enjoy being thrifty green with Norwex! http://leahrus.norwex.biz
NorwexMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:45 PM   #56
an_aurora
Registered Users

I've turned around in my seat to buckle a kid so I don't have to stand there with the door open, but obviously that's not always doable. I've also just pulled their coat off standing right outside the vehicle door, opened the door, and put them in.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:01 PM   #57
moms5angels
Registered Users
Formerly: moms4angels

My Mood:

bump
Old 12-08-2012, 09:36 AM   #58
moonlightblonde
Registered Users
seller

Ugh how do you convince daddy to take the bloody thing off? He is convinced that in any crash that she is killed/seriously hurt in a coat she would be just as hurt without it. He is good with the baby not wearing anything but I keep finding our four year old wearing hers.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:17 PM   #59
Zanocz
Registered Users
seller

Thank you thank you thank you for this!
Zanocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:21 PM   #60
essential1892
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltlmrs View Post
So I think you've finally convinced me. However, how do you keep the kids warm from home to car and from car to destination? We live in an apartment and sometimes the nearest parking space is too far to just "dash" in the cold. And I can never find a spot close to the entrance of a store and sometimes we have quite a hike. Then when it's raining or snowing or windy it just seems like getting the kids in and out of seats and coats means that the car doors are open forever with rain/snow/wind deluging the car. By the time I can get a coat on the kid they're soaked through. It's easy to do with an infant in a carrier since they can be snug all the time, but older kids?
It was pouring rain the other day and we did this.

I opened one door to let my DS and DD in and then ran over to the other door with DS2 (she is one), put her in her seat, took her coat off (she wears a thin fleece hoodie underneath and buckled her in. Then I ran over to the other door and buckled in DS (5.5 years old) and DD (3.5 years old)- they are old enough to unzip and take off their own jackets which is a huge help. Then I put their jackets on them backwards so they weren't cold. Honestly, the time that the doors were open was minimal and I was the one who was soaked because my body was blocking most of the doorway- I had on a big coat with a hood so I was fine. Then when it is time to get out of the car I get out of the car, unbuckle the older kids, close their door (they put on their own jackets, unbuckle the baby and put her jacket on and then open the kids' door so they can hop out. And also, the coat thing probably only adds a max of twenty second to the whole buckling in process- at least that is what we have gotten it down to.

If it is really bad out then I'll let the older kids in the car, put the baby in and then I'll get in and reach into the backseat to buckle/help with coats. I am short, so it takes a lot of contorting to get it done but in the end everyone is buckled. Another thing I do is to not always have them wear their puffy jackets. If the weather isn't frigid, I'll let them wear their North Face fleece's which are very warm but are thin enough that I feel comfortable letting them keep them on under their harnesses.

I do agree it is a pain but it's worth it. I just tell myself it is the only way to do it so even if it sucks, oh well I have no choice.