Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-29-2011, 12:27 AM   #1
mamamila
Registered Users
seller

Help - so many clogged ducts!!

I feel like there is a baseball inside my right boob. I've had a clogged duct there once every 3 or 4 weeks, but this time, it feels like my entire boob is stopped up. I also have what looks to be a milk blister in one of the pores on my nipple. I've been using a heating pad, pumping, massaging, dandle feeding... So far all no help. Is there anything at all that I can try to clear these up? Any herbs or types of tea? Please give me any ideas, I will try ANYthing at this point!

Advertisement

mamamila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 06:31 AM   #2
jessnic
Registered Users
seller
seller

I had to sterilize a needle and pop my blister because I was so clogged I was risking mastitis. Once I popped it I hand expressed, then nursed pumped. I used neosporin between nursing sessions to avoid infection. I used lanolin to let my nipple heal, and hot compresses to prevent reclogging until everything was cleared.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:00 AM   #3
nebraskamom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help - so many clogged ducts!!

I don't know if this will help the blister, but I put a couple cabbage leaves in my bra and worked very well. Don't leave them in too long (more than a couple hours) because I've heard it can also dry up your milk.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:10 AM   #4
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

That is called a milk bleb. OUCH!! Warm wet heat is better, like a warm washcloth w/ the heating pad. My lactation consultant suggested using ANY type of "massager" that vibrates kwim?

http://kellymom.com/momblog/bf/conce...er/nipplebleb/

If you can tolerate it try to wash your nipples w/ clear warm water and a soft cloth in hopes of exfoliating the skin on you nipple. Sometimes that will remove the "blister" you are seeing. Then you wet heat compress-nurse and pump, wet heat compress-nurse and pump, wet heat compress-nurse and pump. I also used a sterilized needle to just open the bleb on the outside. I used Gentian Violet to prevent infection because it is ok for baby. HTH I have been a militant breastfeeder in my day and the pain was so bad I was almost read to throw in the towel. Keep it up Mama!!
Old 10-29-2011, 07:29 AM   #5
mamamila
Registered Users
seller

Thanks, ladies, I appreciate it. I am going to try the needle thing and am going to make this poor kid nurse all stinkin day if I have to! I tried pumping for about 2 hours last night, but didn't get even a drip out! What causes this??
Old 10-29-2011, 07:43 AM   #6
aubreyaks
Registered Users
seller
seller

Take lecithin daily to help prevent the clogged ducts. Soak in a bath with essential oils of lemon and tea tree. Then rub peppermint oil on your boob when you get out, and nurse. I have this problem as well and that is what worked for me. If you can see a lactation consultant, do, they may have some ideas what is causing it.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:27 AM   #7
ChocoMeijin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aubreyaks
Take lecithin daily to help prevent the clogged ducts. Soak in a bath with essential oils of lemon and tea tree. Then rub peppermint oil on your boob when you get out, and nurse. I have this problem as well and that is what worked for me. If you can see a lactation consultant, do, they may have some ideas what is causing it.
This. I found taking the lecithin when i felt one coming on helped a lot!
Old 10-29-2011, 08:35 AM   #8
mamamila
Registered Users
seller

Where can I get it? Any particular brand?
Old 10-29-2011, 01:56 PM   #9
ChocoMeijin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I just used the walmart brand, i think it's called equate? The are big tho! They were where the vitamins were.
Old 10-29-2011, 02:31 PM   #10
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamila View Post
I feel like there is a baseball inside my right boob. I've had a clogged duct there once every 3 or 4 weeks, but this time, it feels like my entire boob is stopped up. I also have what looks to be a milk blister in one of the pores on my nipple. I've been using a heating pad, pumping, massaging, dandle feeding... So far all no help. Is there anything at all that I can try to clear these up? Any herbs or types of tea? Please give me any ideas, I will try ANYthing at this point!
Yes! Lecithin! My friend took (and still takes this while nursing) and it cleared up her milk blebs and clogged ducts and has prevented them from coming back. She had clogs about 2-3 times before she started taking lecithin and now she hasn't had any for months and her LO is older now and not nursing as frequently.

Here is the link to info on kellymom.com - http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/lecithin.html

GL Mama! I can only imagine your pain/discomfort! I hope the clog clears up soon and you feel better!