Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-29-2011, 02:34 PM   #11
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Help - so many clogged ducts!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebraskamom View Post
I don't know if this will help the blister, but I put a couple cabbage leaves in my bra and worked very well. Don't leave them in too long (more than a couple hours) because I've heard it can also dry up your milk.
Cabbage is relieving because it is stopping milk production... Even a couple hours can really reduce supply. I wouldn't do that unless you want no more milk.

Advertisement

Old 10-29-2011, 09:50 PM   #12
Levi_Elizabeth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I recommend the lecithin too! This happened to me with DS1 and it took probably a month to clear up and I had to use the needle many times. Just a little warning if it lingers. I felt much better after I would use the needle, but then it would close up and the clog would occur again. I would also soak in a hot bath and self express - this helped me feel so much better. And as far as the pumping for 2 hours with no milk, my guess would be you never got let down. Do you pump often? Because pumping requires a lot of relaxation to get let down and if you are in pain plus with the clogs that can be really difficult. Heat and massage always helped me - This is why the bath and self-expression helped so much. I feel your pain! I am so sorry! I got clogged ducts constantly with DS1 and now with DS2 I battle low milk supply, so it is always something!

Last edited by Levi_Elizabeth; 10-29-2011 at 09:51 PM.
Levi_Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:09 PM   #13
mamamila
Registered Users
seller

I don't pump very often at all, maybe once a week or less, I only really pump a lot when I get clogged ducts. You are probably right, I can never relax at all! I rarely let down when pumping, but I just figured it was that I don't pump much.

I got the lecithin and I've been working on it all day, pumping and trying to rub the plugs out, and it does feel a lot less huge. It's more like two golf balls and not a huge baseball. But holy cow is it sore!

Does anyone ever have any side effects from the soy lecithin? I have been (so sorry, tmi) glued to the toilet since about an hour after taking the first one!! But it does feel like it's making a difference.

Now to get the guts to take a needle to my nipple - man, the things we do to keep bfing!!

I went through the low supply as well. The more milk plus helped some but the things that help me the most, even within one day, is sleeping as much as possible and barley water or plain water.
mamamila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:19 PM   #14
Nightowl Jan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

dude, this just happened to me! I was super close to popping it with a needle but the next time i nursed, it popped on it's own. As for the duct inside... as you nurse or pump, massage towards the nipple. Grate a raw potato, press it on the area and put a washcloth/nursing pad in yur bra to hold it in place. Try to keep it there overnight or all day. That worked for me. You should also eat raw garlic.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:53 PM   #15
aumismommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I had a streak of clogged ducts and mastitis and this is what worked for me in addition to lots of heat, massage, pumping and a ton of nursing.
Do this every hour or two the first day, then every 3 the next few days, then slowly get to every 4-6 hours and give yourself a day after all symptoms are gone. Sounds crazy but it works and was per my midwives and np.
Cut up one clove of garlic into little pieces, swallow like pills. Take two cranberry concentrate pills. Two echinacea/goldenseal blend pills.
Also when I got mastitis I took a few cloves of garlic and crushed them and added some olive oil. Let that sit for an hour to blend. Then slather it on your breast where the clogs are and cover with something...I used breast pads or a receiving blanket. Good luck.

ISO: Ring Sling WC, Soft Star Shoes (brand) shoes size 8/9 (toddler) or infant
aumismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 12:17 AM   #16
mamamila
Registered Users
seller

I've actually just read about taking garlic on kellymom, so I'm glad you second it, I'll try that. Is it ok to keep taking the soy lecithin on top of all that?
mamamila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 12:32 AM   #17
aumismommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamila
I've actually just read about taking garlic on kellymom, so I'm glad you second it, I'll try that. Is it ok to keep taking the soy lecithin on top of all that?
I know nothing about soy lec and wouldn't use it personally because we are all allergic to soy...

ISO: Ring Sling WC, Soft Star Shoes (brand) shoes size 8/9 (toddler) or infant
aumismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:03 AM   #18
bagheera.momma
Registered Users
seller

I third garlic. It has some amazing healing properties!
bagheera.momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 01:43 PM   #19
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Hmm... the toilet is your new best friend? I haven't read that about lecithin but I could see how that would be possible. The explanation below says it better than I could:

The reason why lecithin may help resolve and prevent plugged ducts is not clear. Per Dr. Jack Newman, "It may do this by decreasing the viscosity (stickiness) of the milk by increasing the percentage of polyunsaturated fatty acids in the milk." Lecithin is an emulsifier (used to keep fats/oils dispersed and in suspension): phospholipid molecules (such as lecithin) contain hydrophobic and hydrophilic elements; the hydrophobic portion has an affinity for fats and oils, and the hydrophilic portion has an affinity for water.

So, by preventing fats to stick together and having an affinity for water, the lecithin might be keeping more water in your digestive tract and preventing things from *sticking together* so to speak...

Once the clogged duct comes out, you can lower the amount of lecithin you are taking or stop taking it all together (but once you get a clogged duct, you tend to be prone to them...) so it just depends if the benefits outweigh the negative side-effects you are experiencing, kwim? I'd definitely up your water intake a bit for now, though, while you are taking the lecithin since you might be losing more than normal.

kellymom.com also recommends B-complex, evening primrose and thyme as other options for treating clogged ducts. Here is the link (scroll all the way to the bottom): http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vi.../lecithin.html

I hadn't heard of garlic for clogged ducts but I wouldn't dismiss it. Garlic seems to have lots of benefits and amazing properties.

GL Mama!

Last edited by colin-mylilguy; 10-30-2011 at 01:45 PM.
colin-mylilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 04:17 PM   #20
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamila View Post

I got the lecithin and I've been working on it all day, pumping and trying to rub the plugs out, and it does feel a lot less huge. It's more like two golf balls and not a huge baseball. But holy cow is it sore!

Does anyone ever have any side effects from the soy lecithin? I have been (so sorry, tmi) glued to the toilet since about an hour after taking the first one!! But it does feel like it's making a difference.
I started taking lecithin two weeks ago when I needed to do something about my recurrent plugged ducts. I have no "toilet" issues, so I'm not sure I can help you there!

Just wanted to add that the lecithin has completely stopped the plugged ducts that I was getting for no real reason. I have gotten a plug from when DD had her arm under me while nursing, but it was gone in less than 24 hours. I am taking 1200 mg four times a day, like it says on the kellymom link. I get mine in a huge container (like bucket huge) from amazon.
Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote