Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-29-2011, 01:54 AM   #1
ChocoMeijin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
DS won't sleep unless he nurses on a particular side

I've just recently switched back from nursing on one side exclusively to both sides after several months (took almost 2 months to adjust back!). now at night when he nurses he can't/won't fall asleep unless he nurses on the preferred (left) side.

Since i don't want to get engorged i offer the right side first and hope for the best but now i'm awake for 40 min to an hr getting him back to sleep/stay asleep instead of 15min. Any tips? I know this might be a bit of a toughie.

He also won't let the right side out of his mouth for EVER if he wants to nap (40 min being attached). I do have a slightly lower supply in the right, but still enough (i think!). Any advice is appreciated!

Oh almost forgot he does have a shallower latch on the right, so i tried using the c hold to see if that would improve transfer but it didn't seem to make a difference. He's definitely getting milk out of there though, i can hear it

Advertisement

Old 10-29-2011, 01:58 AM   #2
kferg
Registered Users

I would just let him eat on one side and pump the other. I tried to fight my LO's preferred side but it was pointless. We both just ended up frustrated. He's a little older now and it's evened out a little but he still has a preference.
kferg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 02:09 AM   #3
veveland
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I have this same issue! I'm on my phone
And can't link, but check kellymom.com She has great tips for babies with a preferred breast!
Old 10-29-2011, 05:03 AM   #4
ChocoMeijin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kferg
I would just let him eat on one side and pump the other. I tried to fight my LO's preferred side but it was pointless. We both just ended up frustrated. He's a little older now and it's evened out a little but he still has a preference.
This is what i did before i switched back to nursing both sides, but i got tired of having my left breast go from pumped empty to SUPERengorged in under 2 hrs @_@ we'd been doing that since he has 2 months old i think. I'm thinking i may go back though....

Thanks for the replies ladies! I'll check kellymom as well
Old 10-29-2011, 05:41 AM   #5
homeschoolingmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: DS won't sleep unless he nurses on a particular side

Maybe don't pump and just let that side naturally produce less for nighttime?? It would be kind of a pain, but it sounds like that's what you're dealing with anyway
I think it's funny how they're so picky. My ds preferred the left side when he was nb, but has gone to preffering the right. He thinks he needs to be attached to nap too....
Old 10-29-2011, 09:04 AM   #6
cacasey1981
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Have you tried just sliding him into or out of a football hold? He might just like sleeping on that side
Wife to Brandon - my high school sweetheart (Oct 00), delaying vaccs as best we can and WOH parents to Trent (Nov 08) our intact, formerly ERF, slightly son and Lilly (May 12) our , maybe one day , and (for now) daughter (my hypnobaby).
cacasey1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 01:55 PM   #7
ChocoMeijin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacasey1981
Have you tried just sliding him into or out of a football hold? He might just like sleeping on that side
Hmmmm i haven't tried that! I'll give it go tonight!

TY mamas!
Old 10-29-2011, 03:03 PM   #8
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

It sounds like this is not the case with your LO since he has always had this preference but *sometimes* they prefer one side because of an ear infection... Just throwing it out there.

Also, I have a LO with tongue tie, high palate, the whole shabang and his latch is not as good on my right side because I'm right-handed and its more awkward for me. What helped us was doing football or side-lying. The side-lying really helped not only with the preference but also the latch was easier for me and it helped me rest.... side-lying is just wonderful. GL Mama! I hope you get some good ideas!
Old 10-29-2011, 10:10 PM   #9
Levi_Elizabeth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ditto on trying different positions. Both my boys have preferred my left which also has more milk. I always offer the right side first to try to increase supply and most times DS will take it; sometimes not. For my left side sometimes I have to have him basically in the same position as he would be on the right side, so his legs wrapped to my back sort of and then he will take it. Now he is getting ear infections, so this affects how he is comfortable, but I think switching up positions can help.
If nothing worked I would just give baby the left side and pump the other or both sides after I finished nursing. After 2 years of nursing I just like to keep baby happy and me comfortable.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:12 PM   #10
Levi_Elizabeth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have to add it is very refreshing to see I am not the only one with babies who have extreme preferences when it comes to nursing!