Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-29-2011, 05:32 AM   #1
magoose
Registered Users

Winter Wear

DS was a summer baby, so I was only really getting big at the end of Winter. It's Canada, so it's already started to get colder here. My current winter gear is already a big snug, so I know there's no way it's going to last me all winter. Cold weather lasts from about November until March/April so I will definitely need some winter wear. Just wondering what others plan to do about winter coats and boots? Eventually I won't be able to bend over to put on boots, so I'm thinking ones that I can just pull on. As for a winter coat, I've tried looking for one at consignment stores, but so far there's not much. They're either too small or too big. Since this is my last pregnancy, I don't really want to spend too much on maternity clothes, let alone a winter coat that I'll only ever wear once. The weather turns super cold here in January/February (-40's celsius, not sure what that is in Farenheit, lol), so I'll definitely need to wear something warm. For those of you in colder climates, what do you plan to do in the winter months?

Advertisement

Old 10-29-2011, 06:22 AM   #2
bezark
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I don't live in quite the frigid climate that you do, but fortunately DH is a big guy.
Last pregnancy I just wore one of his winter coats and a pair of Boggs boots for the snow. They're especially awesome because of the handy pull-up handles. No zippers or laces.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 10-29-2011, 07:14 AM   #3
KaylaJayne
Registered Users
seller

Re: Winter Wear

It's getting cold here and since I work in childcare I *NEED* winter wear... I use DH's winter coats
Old 10-29-2011, 07:21 AM   #4
magoose
Registered Users

I thought of wearing his coat, but he's a pretty small guy himself (he's Asian) so he's really not much bigger than me, lol. I don't think they'd end up fitting me when I get huge. Someone suggested a poncho type thing, but I'm not sure that would be warm enough.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:28 AM   #5
Pampered Mama
Registered Users
Formerly: JASMommy
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have a fleece coat that is left from my "bigger" days, and I just do layers as necessary.
I wear my regular snow boots- I got them from Land's End- they pull on but have a single velcro strap that wraps around and fastens.

We're supposed to get our first snowstorm tonight!

Pampered Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:29 AM   #6
bccc624
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I wear some boots similar to Uggs, but much cheaper. They just pull on. And as far as coat-wise, we're hoodie people. I've been wearing the ones I have for now, but I forsee buying bigger ones in the near future. Our weather gets pretty chilly around here, getting below zero on come occasions. But the snow fall usually isn't too extreme.

bccc624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:06 PM   #7
crunch!910
Registered Users

I don't have a winter coat at all. Previous coat zipper broke and was years and years old anyway. Really NOT looking forward to buying a maternity coat, but I don't think there's any way out of it. I don't like poofy coats, I like the wool type coats at OldNavy, but I'm not paying for them to be dry cleaned!
Old 10-29-2011, 03:05 PM   #8
Squeaky McMurdo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I live in Wyoming and the seasons here are Summer, Almost Winter, Winter, and Still Winter. (snowed early September last year and it snowed again for my birthday...in JUNE!)

For your coat, look at your zipper. Chances are it's a YKK zipper or will fit one. I just made a rectangle out of some quilted fabric sold at Walmart and sewed a side of the appropriate sized YKK zipper on both sides so that it could zip to my coat. I got kind of fancy and sewed elastic at the top and under my boobs to make it fitted. Voila instant maternity/baby-wearing coat for less than $10.

My ISO/IHA I'm looking for a Cosco Pronto cover in "Cars" preferably.

Last edited by Squeaky McMurdo; 10-29-2011 at 03:08 PM.
Squeaky McMurdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:30 PM   #9
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had a great coat from old navy. Last time, but it is too big this time and I sold it. I'm waiting for a sale. And checking consignment shops for now..
Old 10-29-2011, 07:39 PM   #10
purple_elephant
Registered Users

The extra zipper panel is a very clever idea! Since you can't wear his coat, I was going to suggest wearing your coat open and then maybe a snuggie for the front.
purple_elephant is offline   Reply With Quote