Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-29-2011, 12:58 PM   #11
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What's your asthma med regimen?

We did pulmicort 50? In the neb twice a day for a long time. Singular daily and cope ex as needed. Ds didn't do as good when we switched to the pulmicort I inhaler so we went back to neb treatments. We ended up figuring out reflux was actually the problem of it all so then he just needed pepcid

Advertisement

Old 10-29-2011, 01:03 PM   #12
blackbirdmama*3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My kiddo's all have asthma and I do as well. Ds2's is the worst. He does Singulair, Zyrtec, Nasonex daily and albuterol as needed. He is on Prednisolone and Xopenex right now because of a major flare up. He does have significant environmental allergies as well as food allergies.
Old 10-29-2011, 01:12 PM   #13
seacat
Registered Users
seller

How old is he? We haven't had to deal with DS having asthma, but I had/have horrible asthma similar to your son as a child and the only medication that has ever worked to keep things really under control has been advair. There are a lot of associated warnings with it, but if it works for you it is truly a miracle drug. As a child/adult I used my rescue inhaler 3-6 times a day with pulmicort. It never worked for me. Singular is worth a try because if it works it really works. I haven't needed any form of albuterol, nor have I had an asthma attack in years since I started advair.

A contributing factor to my asthma was reflux and they unfortunately did not catch that until I was an adult. I would have been spared a lot of meds had they caught it. So, I also do a reflux medicine that also improved my asthma. It's worth asking. Some forms of reflux are silent and you would never know, but it aspirates stomach acid into your lungs causing attacks.
seacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 01:25 PM   #14
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by seacat
How old is he? We haven't had to deal with DS having asthma, but I had/have horrible asthma similar to your son as a child and the only medication that has ever worked to keep things really under control has been advair. There are a lot of associated warnings with it, but if it works for you it is truly a miracle drug. As a child/adult I used my rescue inhaler 3-6 times a day with pulmicort. It never worked for me. Singular is worth a try because if it works it really works. I haven't needed any form of albuterol, nor have I had an asthma attack in years since I started advair.

A contributing factor to my asthma was reflux and they unfortunately did not catch that until I was an adult. I would have been spared a lot of meds had they caught it. So, I also do a reflux medicine that also improved my asthma. It's worth asking. Some forms of reflux are silent and you would never know, but it aspirates stomach acid into your lungs causing attacks.
Advair diskus is nit approved for kids under 4 and the inhaler version is not for those under 12.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 01:34 PM   #15
seacat
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody View Post
Advair diskus is nit approved for kids under 4 and the inhaler version is not for those under 12.
Correct and unfortunately so is Flovent and Serevent which I also had some luck with just not as well as Advair. I take it he is under 4. Poor buddy. Have you looked into doing immunotherapy (allergy shots) that helped somewhat as well and there is no drugs to deal with it just takes a long time.
seacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 01:40 PM   #16
ho11yb
Registered Users
seller

I have asthma, but so far DS shows no signs of it. I'd also recommend looking into adding singular & then seeing about weaning off some of the others. I have often heard of their frequently being a trifecta associated with asthma-it frequently comes with allergies & acid reflux. I have all 3. I take allegra (claritin & zyrtec don't work for me), singulair, flonase, and Zantac. I have a rescue inhaler but usually only need to use it if my allergies get bad or if I get a serious cold. I used to use advair as well, but was able to wean off of it I believe largely due to the singulair helping keep things under control.

I agree with pp-if his asthma is allergy triggered, allergy shots can help... Eventually. It just takes quite a while to see any difference, but if he is young then it can be well worth the 6-12 month wait to see a difference if it means he could have years of better health.

Blame the typos on the iPad!

Last edited by ho11yb; 10-29-2011 at 01:41 PM.
ho11yb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 02:35 PM   #17
amitchell98
Registered Users
seller

Just in case you haven't done this, have your home's air tested. It could be contributing to his problems.

We just had our air tested and there is radon in my basement from the heater (so most likely all through our house). And goodness knows what else. No wonder my son has had a constant cold basically since we moved in! His cough sounds like a smokers cough every night when he's ready for bed
Old 10-29-2011, 02:47 PM   #18
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for more suggestions! He is also on Priolsec to protect the airway (ph probe test confirmed no reflux, but we want to protect the airway since he pukes and it comes out his nose). He is 2.5.

We are in the process of eliminating the dog (for other reasons besides his asthma), so if that is a trigger, it will be removed.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 02:54 PM   #19
nrsenadenos
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS is 3.5 if it matters.

He takes a singular tablet daily, is supposed to take Flovent inhaler twice a day (though daddy often forgets the evening dose when mommy is at work), we have albuterol for use as needed in the nebulizer (ends up being a couple of days per month), and he has nasonex nasal spray for the times when allergies are really bad.

DS has the same type of "asthma" as DH had - he really only has a problem if he gets a cold (other kids get snotty noses, his go straight to his chest) and in the spring/fall when there are is a lot of allergens in the air (pollen, mold, etc.) I'm not even convinced it's asthma 100%, but that's what their calling it...
And someone NEW coming in October! Plus 2 angels, 8 chickies, 2 ducklings, and a wolfdog.
nrsenadenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:19 PM   #20
jmred
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I recommend Singulair as well for maintenance. We had my son on that and it worked wonderfully for him. Also, we didn't use Albuterol- I didn't like how hyper it made my son. So we switched to Xopenex (pronounced Zopenex) and it works just as good as the Albuterol, except without the hyperness. Also you can give it every 6 hours instead of every 4. We did use Pulmicourt and liked it, it just seemed like it took forever to start seeing a difference. Hope something can get figured out soon- poor baby!