Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-29-2011, 09:17 AM   #1
tymeflyr
Registered Users
seller

Discouraged Day :-(

I've been having a lot of breastfeeding and supply issues (thank you to all of the wonderful support here!). Last night DS's latch on one side became suddenly painful and my nipple started aching. This morning pumping and latching were both painful and I had low yield from that breast. I looked at the nipple and have a milk blister.

Called the breastfeeding support line from my hospital and got advice and what to do.

I'm just down today. It aches all the time, latching and pumping are really painful. I feel like I can't catch a break with breastfeeding. I want this to work so, so badly, and I'm working so hard at it. Why do things keep going wrong!?!? I'm sorry that I'm whiney today.

Advertisement

tymeflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 09:21 AM   #2
kangasox
Registered Users
seller

You're doing great...and doing all the right things seeking support. Breastfeeding is one of the hardest things to do yet something people make seem like it should be so easy. How old is your little one?
kangasox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 09:25 AM   #3
tymeflyr
Registered Users
seller

Re: Discouraged Day :-(

7 weeks today actually...he had poor weight gain, and I have a history of reduction and everyone thought the supply issues were related to that, but he's not a great milk extractor and I've been working to recover my supply from the slow start we both had (Fenugreek, oatmeal, latching as much as possible, switched to hospital grade pump, will be starting Domperidone as soon as it arrives). We're supplementing still even though my supply has increased a lot, and we may never be able to stop supplementing, but I just wanted to get my supply increased as much as possible before I have to go back to work...and now this! :-(!
Old 10-29-2011, 09:26 AM   #4
kangasox
Registered Users
seller

Kellymom
Old 10-29-2011, 09:27 AM   #5
tymeflyr
Registered Users
seller

Been reading it all morning lol...that's how I diagnosed it. :-)
Old 10-29-2011, 09:30 AM   #6
kangasox
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymeflyr
I've been having a lot of breastfeeding and supply issues (thank you to all of the wonderful support here!). Last night DS's latch on one side became suddenly painful and my nipple started aching. This morning pumping and latching were both painful and I had low yield from that breast. I looked at the nipple and have a milk blister.

Called the breastfeeding support line from my hospital and got advice and what to do.

I'm just down today. It aches all the time, latching and pumping are really painful. I feel like I can't catch a break with breastfeeding. I want this to work so, so badly, and I'm working so hard at it. Why do things keep going wrong!?!? I'm sorry that I'm whiney today.
From kellymom:
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/nipplebleb.html
I know sometimes there's confusion between a milk blister and a sore spot caused by a poor latch.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:33 AM   #7
kangasox
Registered Users
seller

Sorry...my phone sent the message about kellymom without the link, so I didn't mean to send it twice!
Old 10-29-2011, 09:44 AM   #8
tymeflyr
Registered Users
seller

That's okay :-). I'm pretty sure it's a milk blister...we've never had a painful latch or changed anything about the latch and pumping recently. It's white, and bulges with hand expression even though milk comes out around it. Oww!
Old 10-29-2011, 09:47 AM   #9
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

You're doing a great job, Mama! It can feel like its one thing after another, sometimes and that is SOOOO frustrating and discouraging. You are doing all the right things, getting support and using kellymom will help, too. In the beginning, I think I was on kellymom like 20 times a day. DH stopped asking what I was reading on-line when he'd see me at the computer... he'd just say "Another breastfeeding website?" lol

Milk blisters are painful. They can be reoccurring, too (not to be a downer - just to warn you) and there are things you can do to help prevent them. Obviously feeding often but also massage, warm wet wash cloth over the nipple, and you can also take Lecithin (sp?) which can help lower your chances of getting another.

Go take a hot bath or shower and some ibuprofen. I hope it goes away soon!

P.S. I know you've got the domperidone coming but just wanted to mention, with the fenugreek, it is helpful to take Blessed Thistle in combination when you take it. The two herbs combined usually have a much better effect on milk supply than just taking either by themselves. Here is a link on how much to take: http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milks....html#bthistle

And here is a link on Fenugreek: http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milks...ek.html#dosage

Many Mamas don't know that so I thought I'd just mention it in case it helps someone.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:50 AM   #10
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymeflyr View Post
That's okay :-). I'm pretty sure it's a milk blister...we've never had a painful latch or changed anything about the latch and pumping recently. It's white, and bulges with hand expression even though milk comes out around it. Oww!
I had a friend who would get these regularly and after waiting out the first few she started using a sewing needle to *poke* it and help it come out faster... I know that probably sounds scary but if you get desperate enough, it can help. Just make sure to clean the needle first with alcohol and let it completely dry to kill any germs before using it. You don't want to get an infection to boot!