Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-29-2011, 10:12 PM   #1
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Videos that teach reading

My dd took a long time to learn letters. I worked with her and pointed out letters, did starfall with her and she had 2 years of preschool where they did the letter of the week but she wasn't really picking them up. She doesn't pay attention to things she isn't confident in. I got her a video and she knew all her letters after watching it twice and she knows her sounds now too. I have been doing the funnix reading program with her and she is doing good but when she doesn't know something she won't look at the screen and fidgets and doesn't cooperate. I want to work with her on paying attention because she is going to need to in school. I will keep doing the program but I think she will need more to learn how to read. I think watching a video will be a low pressure way for her to learn to read. I think she will do good if she can watch a video over and over until she learns the concepts in it. Does anyone know any videos that teach reading? It looks like there is a leap frog videos but is there any other good ones that worked for your kids?

Advertisement

nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:01 AM   #2
jackyl08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Videos that teach reading

We have several WordWorld videos. DD loves them, as does my nephew. DD is 2.5 and knows all her letters by site. My nephew turned three in July and knows all his letters, most of the sounds they make and can read signs, like STOP. They got most of this from WordWorld. They also really love Super Why! DD will watch it over and over.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:05 AM   #3
pcjs
Registered Users

Leap frog - we have a bunch of them. They are $6 at Costco. Other places they are about $10.

If you have an iPad/pod there are tons of apps for all that and the leap frog/vtech toys based on the speech are good too. My son learned it all from that. He started saying his letters and numbers one day and sounds and I was a bit shocked.

SuperWhy is good too but my son prefers leap frog now. But, I think because they are on the iPad and he can control it vs. the tv which he can't.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:09 AM   #4
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My kids LOVE Word World. We DVR it, it's on PBS, but you can also get DVDs.

A friend of mine swore by Letter Factory and Word Factory.

God bless!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 03:26 PM   #5
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

She sounds just like my son! He's in first grade. He watched the leap frog videos a lot. We have also done some of the rock adn learn videos. Letter sounds talks about putting sounds together. We rented one of the phonics ones from netflix and he wasn't quite ready for that.

We just started using this website http://readingeggs.com/ it has a free 2 week trial. So far he likes it and it definitely doesn't push him too hard, goes at a nice easy pace.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:15 PM   #6
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Leap Frog Word Factory is cool. Starfall.com is also awesome and has online videos. I also love the book Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:23 PM   #7
Sleep deprived
Registered Users

We DVR Between the Lions. It's a reading program obviously set in the New York Public Library, with the hosts being the lions that flank the front entrance. It's great - one of the few kids' programs that does not make me want to gouge out my eyes.
Sleep deprived is offline   Reply With Quote