View Poll Results: I planned a water birth and...
used the tub, loved the tub, would do it again. 19 55.88%
used the tub, it was some what helpful, would possibly do it again. 5 14.71%
used the tub, but didn't like it at all, wouldn't do it again. 3 8.82%
didn't even use the tub. 3 8.82%
other, please explain. 4 11.76%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-31-2011, 12:39 PM   #21
FernHollow
Banned

My Mood:
Re: If you planned a water birth...poll!

I wanted a waterbirth badly with #2, but he was born too fast. #3 was a hospital transport and c/s. #4 I had a waterbirth and didn't find it helpful at all. Didn't even bother setting up the pool for #5. With the only one that I actually got my waterbirth, I did NOT like the floating sensation.

For me the BEST way to labor is to be able to stand, sit, and move around because I have very rapid labors. If I ever had another baby (not likely lol) I wouldn't even bother buying waterbirth supplies. I did really like standing in a hot shower with it aimed at my back during late labor, but did not like being submerged.

Advertisement

FernHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 03:40 PM   #22
kismetbaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yep, had a tub and loved it, even though I didn't use it as much as I'd thought I would and I did not deliver in it (got out for a check and never got back in!).

I plan to have a tub this time too and hope to actually deliver int he water, but am fine either way. I also loved the shower while laboring as well. . .both were good for me, but different. The shower I was able to stand and sort of sway/move through the contraxs, so it was great as pain relief. . .for me the tub was better for really relaxing though since you don't have to support much of your own weight anymore. Although for me, the tub actually was a bit too relaxing and slowed my labor way down which is one of the reasons I got out. But I hope that for a second birth that the relaxation and even slow-down will be a good thing!
Old 10-31-2011, 05:31 PM   #23
epiclesis
Registered Users
seller

Had an unplanned waterbirth with #1. Got a pool, set it up in case I wanted to labor in it, didn't like the sounds of birthing in it. Got in to labor, and never got out. Decreased the intensity of contractions and birthing wasn't too bad. (Birthed baby on my side)

Again, unplanned with #2. Didn't nix the idea as much as I had with the first, but wasn't definite if I was going to birth in it. Got in when ctx were about 2 minutes apart (though, they were that way for a good 6 hours), and it decreased intensity for awhile and felt good. My husband supported me from the outside however I wanted, but it was really just holding my hands during contractions.
I wound up birthing second baby on my knees with my elbows and forearm supported on a stool outside of the pool and my husband behind the stool holding my hands through the pushing.
First baby I pushed for about an hour and a half, second baby was waters breaking to birth - less than 10 minutes.

I'm definitely open to the idea next time too, we'll just see how it goes.
epiclesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 05:40 PM   #24
Aleta
Registered Users
seller
seller

I had two water births - one at home, and instead of the expensive birthing tub, we bought a blow up swimming pool - it was about $50 and we covered it with a sheet so that I didn't stick to the vinyl! It was actually my midwife's suggestion. I loved birthing in the tub and would have done so for my fourth had she not come out before the tub had filled!

like me on Facebook
Aleta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:00 PM   #25
MotherMoonPads
Formerly: KeepYourBabyClose
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljube112 View Post
Depends on the complication and the midwife. My dd's shoulders were sticky and I was able to stay in water (flipped to hands and knees) and my mw was able to get her out quickly and easily.

I attempted a water birth with my first. Hated the tub, but I really believe it was because I went in too early and it slowed my labour. ALso, I couldn't keep the water hot enough.

2nd and 3rd were both water births. I didn't get in the tub until I was in transition (after water breaking both times) and it was amazing.

We bought our pool and have re-used it each time. Best investment we could have made.
Of course everything is circumstantial. I was simply pointing out that was a possibility.
MotherMoonPads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:35 PM   #26
julsie
Registered Users

Both my babies were home water births. The first was a winter baby, born in a blizzard, and the windows we'd ordered to replace the drafty old ones were late arriving. I was freezing the entire time I was in labor. It's impossible to relax while shivering, did you know? Hot water was the only thing that helped me be comfortable. My baby turned posterior while I was in labor, so there was a ton of back pain, which the water had no effect on. I couldn't get into a comfortable position in the tub, but was too cold out of the tub -- I just couldn't win. I used a rental tub (with heat! don't neglect that if you're having a winter baby!) with a disposable liner that was SLIPPERY. After being in labor all night, I was so tired I couldn't keep myself upright while pushing and needed my husband in the tub to hold me up. I pushed for an hour and a half and tore pretty badly. Looking back, I'm not really sure why I ordered the tub for baby #2 -- guess I just knew I could do it that way!

My second birth was SO much easier. Baby lined up nicely, and I was comfortable for most of my labor. I did a lot of walking, and just didn't want to labor in the tub. I waited until the contractions got unbearable -- transition, probably -- and the baby came in a hurry after that. I do think the water helped with the pain, but not as much as walking during contractions and finding a good position for birth. I was on my knees this time, with my forearms resting on the rim of the tub.

A couple tips if you decide to get the tub:
Put your drain hose in a handy place when you do the rest of the tub setup. (DH had to dig ours out from under the snow after DD1 was born -- we had the nasty tub sitting for a couple days before he found it.)

Think about where you'll go when you get out. My birth team ended up making up the sofa bed while I was waiting in the tub with my baby. We got out with the cord still attached, so we needed to crash nearby, not walk the length of the house. It worked fine, I just should have thought about it, instead of sending people rummaging through my house for the stuff we needed.

Have a lot of towels, and make sure your birth team knows where to find them. For my first birth, we used every towel in the house -- most of them on the floor.

Good luck, whatever you decide!
julsie is offline   Reply With Quote