Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-30-2011, 07:25 PM   #1
nursemama23
Registered Users
seller
seller

Human pacifier

My DD (almost 5 months) loves to nurse including comfort nursing. I'm okay with this as is dh, but I'm not sure how to respond to family/friends who question her frequent "feeds". She can be a fussy baby especially if she gets overwhelmed/over stimulated so when we are around large groups, all she wants to do or all that consoles her and keeps her from having a complete meltdown is nursing.

Any suggestions on what to say to others? I've tried to explain that breast is different than bottle and she isn't always sucking to get milk but I often get puzzled looks. She doesn't do well in groups of people or when anyone else tries to hold her. She manages to do okay with our nanny and only minimally melts down with the few people who have watched her when I was at work and the nanny is off but generally screams if anyone else holds her. Its particularly bad if she knows I'm around so family gatherings are difficult. With the holidays so close, I need to figure out how to address these comments

Advertisement

Old 10-30-2011, 07:36 PM   #2
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Human pacifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursemama23 View Post
My DD (almost 5 months) loves to nurse including comfort nursing. I'm okay with this as is dh, but I'm not sure how to respond to family/friends who question her frequent "feeds". She can be a fussy baby especially if she gets overwhelmed/over stimulated so when we are around large groups, all she wants to do or all that consoles her and keeps her from having a complete meltdown is nursing.

Any suggestions on what to say to others? I've tried to explain that breast is different than bottle and she isn't always sucking to get milk but I often get puzzled looks. She doesn't do well in groups of people or when anyone else tries to hold her. She manages to do okay with our nanny and only minimally melts down with the few people who have watched her when I was at work and the nanny is off but generally screams if anyone else holds her. Its particularly bad if she knows I'm around so family gatherings are difficult. With the holidays so close, I need to figure out how to address these comments
That is a tough one because it so difficult to explain all the ways in which breastfeeding nourishes, comforts, soothes and calms our babies in a quick 2-3 sentence conversation. Especially when you feel like you're being "watched". Hmmm... I'd probably say something like "LO just gets nervous in big group settings; she must take after me . I've found that nursing her really calms her nerves. I'm so glad I can help her feel at ease." IDK... This is a toughy! I don't know how receptive your family is to breastfeeding. Are they pretty comfortable with it? My family would probably think I was weird but they wouldn't say anything and if I said I needed to nurse LO, they wouldn't question it, so I've never really thought about explaining this to them. GL Mama! I hope you get better suggestions that mine!
Old 10-30-2011, 09:08 PM   #3
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

I wouldn't say anything unless asked. My LO nursed often for short periods. When people would make comments I'd just say she was a 'snacker'. That was usually the end of it.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:12 PM   #4
staceyroo77
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, just say she is a snacker, and the breast milk is much more easily digested so she eats more often.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:30 AM   #5
nursemama23
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks mamas!
Old 10-31-2011, 01:55 PM   #6
CEVmommy
Registered Users
seller

If someone were to call me a "human pacifier" for comfort nursing, I would likely ask them if they also thought I was a "human bottle" for nutritive nursing. Bottles and pacifiers are substitute boobs, not the other way around! This is how my body is *intended* to nurture my baby!
Old 10-31-2011, 02:17 PM   #7
nursemama23
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEVmommy
If someone were to call me a "human pacifier" for comfort nursing, I would likely ask them if they also thought I was a "human bottle" for nutritive nursing. Bottles and pacifiers are substitute boobs, not the other way around! This is how my body is *intended* to nurture my baby!
Love it!
Old 10-31-2011, 02:18 PM   #8
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEVmommy View Post
Great response!

DS3 comfort nurses all the time. I just ignore the questions from my family, or tell them he's in a constant growth spurt, LOL.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:01 AM   #9
inhomecare
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would say...noneyabusiness! Seriously though, they don't need an explanation. It is your baby and your body. IF they have a problem with how much you nurse, then they need to have something better to worry about. It is biologically normal for a baby to nurse very frequently. Our society gets stuck on this every 2-3 hours thing when that is not how breastfeeding is supposed to be. Just be confident in your ability to nurse your baby and ignore anyone negative. You never know...your baby may just be smart enough to nurse frequently to avoid a supply issue that you could possibly have if she didn't. Or avoid a medical condition that is helped by frequent nursing. I'm not saying anything is wrong, but babies are smart and know what they need! And good for you and your DH for listening!
Old 11-01-2011, 05:40 PM   #10
3lilde's
Registered Users
seller

I would just tell people that its your routine to feed on demand and you do what works for you. if they don't like that answer too bad! buut I can be a snarky b***** sometimes!!
3lilde's is offline   Reply With Quote