Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-30-2011, 09:02 PM   #1
pagodagirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

if I have to supplement a bit

I have to go out of town for 4 days to take my boards. DS is staying back with DH. We have a decent stash of frozen breast milk, but I am not sure that it will make it the full 4 days. (I had a much bigger stash but had to go back east when my mom was sick recently and we burned through some of it). DS is 8 months old and we do baby led weaning so he eats some solids, but has only had breast milk up til now. I am heart broken about the possibility of having to give him some formula, but it is what it is. I know it's the breast-feeding support thread, but do any of you ladies have any recommendations for us?

Advertisement

Old 10-30-2011, 09:06 PM   #2
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Hmmm...I would say just make sure you keep up your supply with adequate pumping so formula (if needed) is temporary. Good luck!
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:07 PM   #3
FindingMercy
Registered Users
Formerly: Evie'sMama
seller

My Mood:
Do you have a close friend you trust that would give you a few bags if you needed? That would be the first place I would turn.

I blog about our family, trans-racial adoption, gluten-free cooking, and crafting

FindingMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:37 PM   #4
KristieW
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: if I have to supplement a bit

Old 10-30-2011, 11:37 PM   #5
cacasey1981
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would look into donor milk through any of the milk sharing organizations that are out there - "Eats on Feets", "Milkshare" or "Human Milk 4 Human Babies"

Here is an informative blog post from earlier this year - http://www.phdinparenting.com/2011/0...rce-commodity/

If you really don't want to give your LO formula there are alternatives out there. My DH and I were leery at first but really - human breastmilk is better than processed cow breastmilk.
Wife to Brandon - my high school sweetheart (Oct 00), delaying vaccs as best we can and WOH parents to Trent (Nov 08) our intact, formerly ERF, slightly son and Lilly (May 12) our , maybe one day , and (for now) daughter (my hypnobaby).
cacasey1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:50 PM   #6
palsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Could you pump extra till your trip. Like maybe when lo is nursing pump the other side. I'm sOrry, I don't know any brands of formula. I woul personally do what I could to make sure she gets only breastmilk. Go pump crazy for a short time
Old 10-31-2011, 03:23 AM   #7
vmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't worry about it too much, mama If you see that you won't have enough BM to last before you leave, I would try and give him a bit of formula beforehand to make sure he will drink it. My preemie self-weaned at 2.5 years, but still needs formula and I have to give her vanilla flavored. She won't drink the regular formula. If you have a problem, you can always mix formula with BM to dilute the nasty taste.

I know that BM is the best choice, but let's be realistic here! I'm sure you are very busy studying and don't have much time to hunt down a donor and you shouldn't feel bad about it. If you happen to have a friend that's BF'ing and feel comfortable with it, that would be great. I gave Violet some of my friend's BM until she stopped BF'ing 3 weeks in!

Good luck on your boards
Old 10-31-2011, 09:32 AM   #8
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would probably try to find a local source of raw goat's milk or cow's milk before doing formula, personally. That is probably easier than finding a donor if you don't already know one. Your baby is more likely to tolerate it and like it, also.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:52 PM   #9
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

It can be pretty simple to find a donor if you're okay with that. Just look at Human Milk for Human Babies on facebook. They have a different group for every state. You might have someone nearby with a huge stockpile.
Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:54 PM   #10
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Lets start with how much milk do you have frozen?

When do you leave?