Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-31-2011, 03:58 PM   #11
pagodagirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: if I have to supplement a bit

we have almost 60 oz frozen. I will be gone next tues afternoon - friday morning. so it should be close to enough just might not make it. And I want to know we have a plan since I don't want to be stressing about it while I'm taking my boards!
It's hard to know exactly how much DS goes though since he eats from the pumped fridge stash during the day and nurses when I am at home, and I have no idea how much the volume is that he's consuming when he's nursing, of course. He does still wake up to eat at night, though.
I already pump as much as I can, honestly. I work full time (like 60-100 hours per week full time, and since I'm a surgeon a lot of that is time in the OR and I can't really take a break mid case to pump!) and right now I am studying when not working.
I will look to see if there are is a donation option nearby - I do live in Portland, and if there is one anywhere I would bet there would be one here.

Advertisement

Old 10-31-2011, 09:40 PM   #12
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would break it up into 4 days supplies, evenly and offer formula at the same time, each day to replace a feeding so it's not jarring to the digestive track. If a baby is thirsty/hungry, they'll take the formula. You may want to buy the liquid as it is prefered over powder for some babies and since it's such a short period of time.. Plan on baby not drinking as much, and that's okay
Old 10-31-2011, 10:11 PM   #13
lolis
Registered Users

My Mood:

To be completely honest, and I will probably be flamed for it, a little formula is not going to hurt your child. If you really want to get your DC breastmilk then find a donor...but if it just seems like too much for you to handle, there is nothing wrong with giving your DC some formula, IMO. We all do what we gotta do.
lolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:39 PM   #14
KristieW
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981 View Post
I would break it up into 4 days supplies, evenly and offer formula at the same time, each day to replace a feeding so it's not jarring to the digestive track. If a baby is thirsty/hungry, they'll take the formula. You may want to buy the liquid as it is prefered over powder for some babies and since it's such a short period of time.. Plan on baby not drinking as much, and that's okay
Great tips!

Good luck on your boards!
Old 10-31-2011, 11:01 PM   #15
pagodagirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981 View Post
thanks, that sounds like a good approach. I'm especially worried about DH having to face an empty fridge with a screaming LO who refuses to eat formula, and that would space things out so there was some left. I'm not happy about it, but I think for a few feeds spaced over a few days hopefully it will work out.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:15 AM   #16
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagodagirl

thanks, that sounds like a good approach. I'm especially worried about DH having to face an empty fridge with a screaming LO who refuses to eat formula, and that would space things out so there was some left. I'm not happy about it, but I think for a few feeds spaced over a few days hopefully it will work out.
Well let me tell you, I was faced with a 8 month old a couple weeks ago. No mom. No milk. Mom kept promising to be there shortly. 'to just feed him food' than god I am an LC. She never came (family emergency)... I went and got him formula after a few hours. I told her, you have a choice, formula or breastmilk. One of which she couldn't provide. But she was set on no formula... But life took over and she never built a stash. Her boob baby who NEVER took a bottle.. (he hated them) gulped down that formula for the next few days, happily. Then once mom retuned, turned his nose at it! Lol.

He did 't drink the ' expected amount' but I knew that was okay. A breastfed baby shouldn't consume 8 ounce bottles at one time anyways. He did what he needed to until mom got back. He was happy and drank as much as HE wanted
Old 11-01-2011, 09:06 PM   #17
mommygreenex2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mama I was right where you are a few weeks ago, but not because I had to leave my DS, but because my supply was dropping and needed some help before I could get it back up. I hated that I was giving my DS 2 oz of formula at night but I also hated that he seemed unsatisfied and still hungry after nursing. So I just bought the Organic Similac pre-made formula and he (BF for 9 months and refused bottles even with BM in them) sucked it right down, no questions asked.
So my advice is try a little bit with you baby before you leave just so you know IF DH needs it, it's there and baby will accept it. Then just tell your hubby to use the BM and only use the formula for back up.
Side note, I was able to get my supply back up with Domperidone and we haven't had to supplement in a couple weeks! I'm still not able to pump any extra though So if I am away from baby any time soon I'll have to use formula. But then that means I can *hopefully* pump and have a little stash for the next time. (I don't seem to latch to a pump; I can go 4 hours without nursing or pumping and been known to not give a single drop to a pump!)
Hope I've helped. Honestly, just do what you're comfortable with and don't worry about any of the rest of it!
Good luck on your boards mama!!!
~Jessica, married to my perfect match, Ryan since 05.24.03, and I'm a BF'ing, CD'ing, BW'ing, Selective Vax'ing, Play-at-home-Mama to Breech C-Section DD Olivia 08.29.06, VBAC Bradley Birthed DS Caden 01.06.11, and birth center 2VBAC Waterbirth baby girl Emma 11.09.13.
mommygreenex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:28 PM   #18
triplet-momma
Registered Users
seller

Mama I just want to say you are doing an amazing job for pumping while being a surgeon; DH is an EM doc (also taking boards next week ) and we are friends with many female physicians from med school and residency. It is truly a sacrifice and a great accomplishment to be able to pump and BF with that schedule. So kudos
Old 11-02-2011, 08:09 AM   #19
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplet-momma
Mama I just want to say you are doing an amazing job for pumping while being a surgeon; DH is an EM doc (also taking boards next week ) and we are friends with many female physicians from med school and residency. It is truly a sacrifice and a great accomplishment to be able to pump and BF with that schedule. So kudos
This!!
Old 11-11-2011, 09:36 PM   #20
pagodagirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

Just back from my boards (oof ) and we just made it under the wire. DS ate the last bag of frozen breastmilk while I was on the plane. Almost was a disaster when my plane was stuck on the runway after we landed but waiting for the gate to open up, and I was greeted by a very hungry LO when I got to baggage claim, BUT we made it. I brought back a bunch, although some of it spilled in transit still overall just glad to be back home and with my DS again!!