Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-31-2011, 02:43 PM   #11
Gitrecca
Registered Users

Re: Cool or Warm Mist Humidifier

I'd just use a cool one. Yes, they ARE a pain to clean, but they've always worked great for my son. They also make the room a bit cooler, too. My niece pulled one of the "safe" warm mist ones over on her back and had blistering burns and it didn't heal for weeks. They just make me nervous. Every doctor I've asked about it (okay, only three docs, but still) has said warm is unnecessary. Just food for thought.

Advertisement

Old 10-31-2011, 02:51 PM   #12
hibiscus869
Registered Users

I have both kinds and I prefer my cool one because it shoots out way more moisture. They are the exact same brand too so I'm not sure why that is. The warm one doesn't make the room noticeably warmer, but the cool one makes things cooler. So in the winter I don't like that so much, but in terms of the moisture it's definitely better. I don't think it matters at all so long as the humidifer is getting enough water into the air to be helpful.

We have super hard water so with both of mine I have to clean them with a mixture of vinegar and water about once a week, it's not a big deal. If I use filtered water it helps a lot though, then I don't usually have to clean nearly as often.
hibiscus869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:52 AM   #13
blueone
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have 2 cool water humidifiers, both are the Crane animal ones. One is a frog and the other is the penguin. I like the penguin more, it shoots out across the room rather than wafing up, but the frog is good too. They work pretty well, no complaints other than not being able to add essential oils, but it's not a major thing for me.

They do sell little water filters you insert in the humidifier if you don't own one in your house. I'm considering buying them. As for bacteria, I've always heard warm humidifiers have more, so I don't know. Either way up keep is easy. I empty the water out most every day, dry it, let the barrel air dry for a bit. Then once a week do a vinegar water cleaning following their instructions (although, I think I use more than 2 TBS of white vinegar in it). The only time I had mineral build up was when I lived in Southern California.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:21 AM   #14
dancermommy1
Registered Users
seller

Glad you asked this. We need to use one this year again, and last year we used cool mist. Frankly, my DH is convinced that the humidifier contributed greatly to our son's continual illnesses. I cleaned it weekly with bleach, but I did not use distilled water, so maybe that is my fault. However, it is very inconvenient to maintain a distilled water supply large enough to fill the humidifier daily, along with cleaning and drying daily, when it is needed for both naptime and bedtime. I am interested in trying a warm mist, which is what we used when I was a kid, but I'm worried about burns as well, since DS is currently into everything.

Please Visit my ETSY store benefiting women and children in poverty! http://www.etsy.com/shop/conspiracyoflove

YOU can make a difference in developing countries, one precious child at a time! http://conspiracy-of-love.blogspot.com
dancermommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:06 AM   #15
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Our pulminologist said not to use one for DFS's asthma. It contributes to mold in the air, which can make asthma worse. Research is finding that it is better for asthmatics not to use them.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:12 AM   #16
Numommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola
Our pulminologist said not to use one for DFS's asthma. It contributes to mold in the air, which can make asthma worse. Research is finding that it is better for asthmatics not to use them.
Yup this. We ended up in children's hospital for a week. Every time used one, pneumonia.
Numommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:09 PM   #17
argecash
Registered Users

Hmmmm, I'm really not sure what to do now!!! I used the cool mist in DS1's room last night because he has this barking cough and it seemed to help it break up some. However, I am concerned that it is not good for children with asthma because of the mold. They don't have asthma but the mold issue makes me feel like it might not be worth the risk.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:06 PM   #18
blueone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
Is that just for warm air or both? I've always heard warm air is more likely to create mold in the environment while cold air is much less likely to do so. I have asthma but it generally only acts up in the Spring so it's more pollen related and I'm not allergic to mold. In the winter though, if I don't have one I get so stuffed up. More so when pregnant.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:37 PM   #19
Numommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueone

Is that just for warm air or both? I've always heard warm air is more likely to create mold in the environment while cold air is much less likely to do so. I have asthma but it generally only acts up in the Spring so it's more pollen related and I'm not allergic to mold. In the winter though, if I don't have one I get so stuffed up. More so when pregnant.
Ours was a cold air. They just said, humidifier, didn't specify, and I was so tore up over the whole ordeal. It happened twice. I didn't bring it up til second time.
Numommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:54 PM   #20
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueone

They didn't specify.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote