Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-01-2011, 09:45 PM   #21
pcjs
Registered Users

Re: Cool or Warm Mist Humidifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueone View Post
I have 2 cool water humidifiers, both are the Crane animal ones. One is a frog and the other is the penguin. I like the penguin more, it shoots out across the room rather than wafing up, but the frog is good too. They work pretty well, no complaints other than not being able to add essential oils, but it's not a major thing for me.

They do sell little water filters you insert in the humidifier if you don't own one in your house. I'm considering buying them. As for bacteria, I've always heard warm humidifiers have more, so I don't know. Either way up keep is easy. I empty the water out most every day, dry it, let the barrel air dry for a bit. Then once a week do a vinegar water cleaning following their instructions (although, I think I use more than 2 TBS of white vinegar in it). The only time I had mineral build up was when I lived in Southern California.
Don't bother with the filter. I got the one that is made for the animals and it busted in a week or so and I called the company and they wouldn't replace it.

We wash with soap and water or vinegar depending on how bad it is and try to do it weekly like you are saying. If you stay on top of it (kinda as who's perfect about it), they stay pretty clean. We've had ours for two years.

Advertisement

Old 11-02-2011, 04:13 AM   #22
Numommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
http://emedicine.medscape.com/articl...view#aw2aab6b3

Go to page 2 patient history.

As I was reading I found that its not just the humidifier, it's that it creates an environment where mold and bacteria can grow. Which makes sense to our particular case because the first pneumonia was at 6months and the humidifier was brand new. Now granted dd has a strong family history, food sensitivities and an itty bitty chest wall, so I'm sure she'd be asthmatic anyway. What I'm not sure about is the degree to which she would be asthmatic, if we would have been in the hospital for a week, etc...

So that's our story. In nursing school I was never taught this, I was taught to get a cool mist to avoid burns, and that was it. I absolutely had no idea.

And another w good info: http://www.asthma.ca/corp/services/p...izers2_eng.pdf

Last edited by Numommy; 11-02-2011 at 04:17 AM.
Numommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:52 AM   #23
blueone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Cool or Warm Mist Humidifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcjs View Post
Don't bother with the filter. I got the one that is made for the animals and it busted in a week or so and I called the company and they wouldn't replace it.

We wash with soap and water or vinegar depending on how bad it is and try to do it weekly like you are saying. If you stay on top of it (kinda as who's perfect about it), they stay pretty clean. We've had ours for two years.
Oh...I bought a couple yesterday. I hope they last otherwise that's a waist of money. I generally stay on top with cleaning though.