Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2011, 07:19 AM   #1
mrscompgeek's Avatar
mrscompgeek
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,176
Herbal regimen for labor

I know alot of you on here take the 5W formula to support labor, but I have some questions about it if there is anyone here that has herbal knowledge that could help me? My OB dr isnt very knowledgeable with herbs so I emailed a homebirth midwife this morning to ask her opinion on somethings (she knows my history of fast labor/tearing) but just wondering if anyone else knows anything about these?
Back story- With DD she was a homebirth and I had a 6 hour labor from start to finish, very intense, then I tore badly and had to be transported to the hospital for stitching it was so bad and I lost a LOT of blood. My recovery was 3 weeks before I could walk/sit right and more like 3 months before I felt normal.
My goal this time is to prepare my body as best I can for a smoother/easier labor and birth. BUT I dont want to take anything that could possibly cause me to labor faster as we are expecting a short fast labor again.

So I am thinking of starting Natures sunshine 5w formula. I am also going to start Pregnancy tea that has RRL and a bunch of stuff in it in a week or so, and also going to start floradix soon because my OB said my Iron is slightly low and we want to build it up before labor.
And whats the advantage of EPO vaginally/orally? Would that cause me to go faster??

Thanks for any info!!!

Advertisement

__________________
Shannon- Wife to my Techy hubs since 07,
SAH semi-crunchy mama to K{Oct '09} And A {Jan '12}
Baby Boy Z coming Aug '15
mrscompgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:43 AM   #2
ommelissa's Avatar
ommelissa
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: the deep south
Posts: 2,688
My Mood:
Re: Herbal regimen for labor

I can't help you with the 5W. Everything in it looks fine to me, but I've never taken it. I take something made by a local herbalist made with indigenous herbs, and it's really good stuff! I've also taken Dr Christopher's Prenatal formula (birth prep), and it's really good, too.
The RRL tea is a good women's tea for anytime, especially good to drink throughout pregnancy. If you haven't been drinking it, you can start now. It won't cause labor; it's just a gentle tonic herb.
Evening primrose oil (orally or vag sup) will help to soften your cervix a bit (dtd will do the same thing and it's free ) so it's good for first time mommies or ladies with cervical scars or adhesions.

But none of those are going to prevent tearing. You need good perineal support and SELF CONTROL while pushing. Push slowly, and pant when the ears start to show. Let the baby ease out from there. It helps to have your hand on the baby's head to keep you connected with what's happening down there. When your hand is full of baby head, SLOW DOWN.
Another factor is positioning. Hands and knees is a good position to prevent tearing (and it also helps prevent shoulder distocia). It gives your caregiver easy access to support your bottom.
Good luck, mama. I had a wicked tear with my first (hossy birth) and a subsequent infection in the wound. It took along time to heal, and I did everything I could to prevent another tear. I've had three babies since then and no tearing at all.
Push slowly and have someone support your bottom with a hot rag. That's my best advice as a mom and a student MW.
__________________
Melissa ~
facebook
‎‎

Last edited by ommelissa; 10-31-2011 at 07:45 AM.
ommelissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:45 AM   #3
malaynasmommy's Avatar
malaynasmommy
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 4,831
My Mood:
Re: Herbal regimen for labor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscompgeek View Post
I know alot of you on here take the 5W formula to support labor, but I have some questions about it if there is anyone here that has herbal knowledge that could help me? My OB dr isnt very knowledgeable with herbs so I emailed a homebirth midwife this morning to ask her opinion on somethings (she knows my history of fast labor/tearing) but just wondering if anyone else knows anything about these?
Back story- With DD she was a homebirth and I had a 6 hour labor from start to finish, very intense, then I tore badly and had to be transported to the hospital for stitching it was so bad and I lost a LOT of blood. My recovery was 3 weeks before I could walk/sit right and more like 3 months before I felt normal.
My goal this time is to prepare my body as best I can for a smoother/easier labor and birth. BUT I dont want to take anything that could possibly cause me to labor faster as we are expecting a short fast labor again.

So I am thinking of starting Natures sunshine 5w formula. I am also going to start Pregnancy tea that has RRL and a bunch of stuff in it in a week or so, and also going to start floradix soon because my OB said my Iron is slightly low and we want to build it up before labor.
And whats the advantage of EPO vaginally/orally? Would that cause me to go faster??

Thanks for any info!!!
This is my 3rd baby I'm taking the 5-w with. I don't think it causes you to have super fast labors it just makes your labors easier if that makes sense. It helps the contractions to be more productive. Helps ripen the cervix and prepare your uterus. It can also lessen pp bleeding. I wouldn't advise starting it before 35 weeks as it could cause pre-term labor and would get very costly at $25 a bottle!

Take EPO both vaginally and orally. It's purpose it just to make your cervix more favorable for labor & to soften it.

In my experience the herbs did not cause my labors to be super fast or more intense, each labor has gotten shorter but that is normal.
__________________
Ashley Happily married to my high school sweetheart SAHM to Malayna 1.18.07 Myleigh 5.1.08 Jameson 12.27.09 (our first homebirth) Hadley 11.13.11 (planned unassisted)

Last edited by malaynasmommy; 10-31-2011 at 07:47 AM.
malaynasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:55 AM   #4
mrscompgeek's Avatar
mrscompgeek
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,176
Re: Herbal regimen for labor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ommelissa View Post
I can't help you with the 5W. Everything in it looks fine to me, but I've never taken it. I take something made by a local herbalist made with indigenous herbs, and it's really good stuff! I've also taken Dr Christopher's Prenatal formula (birth prep), and it's really good, too.
The RRL tea is a good women's tea for anytime, especially good to drink throughout pregnancy. If you haven't been drinking it, you can start now. It won't cause labor; it's just a gentle tonic herb.
Evening primrose oil (orally or vag sup) will help to soften your cervix a bit (dtd will do the same thing and it's free ) so it's good for first time mommies or ladies with cervical scars or adhesions.

But none of those are going to prevent tearing. You need good perineal support and SELF CONTROL while pushing. Push slowly, and pant when the ears start to show. Let the baby ease out from there. It helps to have your hand on the baby's head to keep you connected with what's happening down there. When your hand is full of baby head, SLOW DOWN.
Another factor is positioning. Hands and knees is a good position to prevent tearing (and it also helps prevent shoulder distocia). It gives your caregiver easy access to support your bottom.
Good luck, mama. I had a wicked tear with my first (hossy birth) and a subsequent infection in the wound. It took along time to heal, and I did everything I could to prevent another tear. I've had three babies since then and no tearing at all.
Push slowly and have someone support your bottom with a hot rag. That's my best advice as a mom and a student MW.
Yes I know they wont help the tearing, my OB and my Doula are both prepared to help me prevent the tears while pushing. We have positions ready and also have already talked about using compresses/support while I am pushing.
I just want to prepare my body so its in the best labor shape possible to help aid in a easy labor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malaynasmommy View Post
This is my 3rd baby I'm taking the 5-w with. I don't think it causes you to have super fast labors it just makes your labors easier if that makes sense. It helps the contractions to be more productive. Helps ripen the cervix and prepare your uterus. It can also lessen pp bleeding. I wouldn't advise starting it before 35 weeks as it could cause pre-term labor and would get very costly at $25 a bottle!

Take EPO both vaginally and orally. It's purpose it just to make your cervix more favorable for labor & to soften it.

In my experience the herbs did not cause my labors to be super fast or more intense, each labor has gotten shorter but that is normal.
Thanks!
__________________
Shannon- Wife to my Techy hubs since 07,
SAH semi-crunchy mama to K{Oct '09} And A {Jan '12}
Baby Boy Z coming Aug '15
mrscompgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:46 AM   #5
mrscompgeek's Avatar
mrscompgeek
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,176
Re: Herbal regimen for labor

The local midwife suggested this formula to me- - its similar to 5w. . . Does it look about the same as what you take malaynasmommy??
http://birthjunkie.com/5week_formula.html
__________________
Shannon- Wife to my Techy hubs since 07,
SAH semi-crunchy mama to K{Oct '09} And A {Jan '12}
Baby Boy Z coming Aug '15
mrscompgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:05 AM   #6
chandni3
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,341
Re: Herbal regimen for labor

Is it too late to start EPO orally? I'm due in just under two weeks. I tried doing perenial massage but my belly is too big and hubby is in construction so his hands are always slightly dirty and cut up. Don't want them in there right now.
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:35 AM   #7
ommelissa's Avatar
ommelissa
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: the deep south
Posts: 2,688
My Mood:
Re: Herbal regimen for labor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscompgeek View Post
Yes I know they wont help the tearing, my OB and my Doula are both prepared to help me prevent the tears while pushing. We have positions ready and also have already talked about using compresses/support while I am pushing.
I just want to prepare my body so its in the best labor shape possible to help aid in a easy labor.



Thanks!
Sounds like you've got it covered!
__________________
Melissa ~
facebook
‎‎
ommelissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 01:25 PM   #8
malaynasmommy's Avatar
malaynasmommy
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 4,831
My Mood:
Re: Herbal regimen for labor

It seems similar and way more affordable! 5-w has:
Black Cohosh Root (Cimicifuga racemosa)
Squaw Vine Whole Plant (Mitchella repens)
Dong Quai Root (Angelica sinensis)
Butcher’s Broom Root (Ruscus aculeatus)
Red Raspberry Leaves (Rubus idaeus)

the other has:
• squawvine • blue cohosh
• blessed thistle • red raspberry leaf
• false unicorn • motherwort
• wild ginger • lobelia
• wild yam • bayberry root bark
__________________
Ashley Happily married to my high school sweetheart SAHM to Malayna 1.18.07 Myleigh 5.1.08 Jameson 12.27.09 (our first homebirth) Hadley 11.13.11 (planned unassisted)
malaynasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 01:56 PM   #9
Macyllehub's Avatar
Macyllehub
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Idaho
Posts: 13,357
My Mood:
Re: Herbal regimen for labor

Polly Block's birth book is amazing in general. I had always taken her formula before - but I couldn't get it from my local herbalist shop this time and bought the 5-W, I'm pensively awaiting the differences I see, if any.
__________________
I'm Macy, Wife to Damon.
Together we have Daunika(8), Aurora(6),
Declan(4) and Kalani (2) :
Expecting someone small Sept 2014
Macyllehub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 02:07 PM   #10
MrsJordan85's Avatar
MrsJordan85
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,835
My Mood:
Re: Herbal regimen for labor

Hi-jacking
At what point is it a good time to start taking EPO? I would like to do vaginally, because I have heard that is more effective. Is that true, and is it just one capsule at night?
__________________
Elisabeth Renee Wifey to my hottie hubby & SAHM to my snuggly big boy
Ethan James 9.22.2006, my sweet middle girl, Selah Grace 1.15.2010, and my unplanned surprise homebirth, Levi Kristopher 12.13.2011
MrsJordan85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.