Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-31-2011, 07:34 AM   #1
katieq22
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
halloween candy gallor!!

Happy Halloween!!! I love the day ( my bday is tomorrow too) so it's always been fun. I'm not looking forward to the mega candy! Over the years, we been slowly realizing how bad it app is but I do let them go out trick it treating. How do you control the overflow of chocolate??

Advertisement

katieq22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:38 AM   #2
love_cloth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Some dentist offices buy candy from families & ship overseas to the military. An early good deed to kick off the holiday season, or just another way to be kind year round!
love_cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:58 AM   #3
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: halloween candy gallor!!

Our kids know moderation so they get a couple of their treats every day for a week or two. Then, we just toss the rest. We had thought about dropping it off at the local hospitals for the staff, but then again we don't think it is a good idea for them to have tons of junk food sitting around. DD1's ortho does a candy buy back which we will probably do this year. They send all candy to the troops overseas.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:13 AM   #4
Djuna2
Registered Users

My Mood:
We don't keep candy around the house normally, but our kids get things like cupcakes and ice cream often enough that the thrill of getting a pile of candy wears off quickly. For a week or so, they'll get a candy every day, and then they forget about it and we toss it (er, after I skim off anything I actually like).
Old 10-31-2011, 08:29 AM   #5
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:

This is what we did (went tot yesterday). I trick or treated for the food pantry(candy and/or food) and the girls tot for themselves. When we got home we dumped all the candy together. They all picked ten pieces. I told them that they could eat it whenever they wanted (all in the same day, or one a day, whatever) and then when it's gone it's gone. The rest is going to get turned in to a local dentist office who is buying back the candy at a dollar per pound up to five pounds per child. The candy gets donated to the food pantry. It's a win win situation. The girls can monitor their own candy intake, donate to the food pantry and earn a little Christmas money. This is the first year we tried this and I must say it's working very well.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:33 AM   #6
elkay724
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh, it's not a problem. DH and I gorge ourselves on most of the desirable candy while the kids sleep. Limits the amount of chocolate they get for sure.
elkay724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:38 AM   #7
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I will give the kids one snack time - tomorrow since it will bedtime when we get home tonight (school night) to go a little nuts on the candy (4-5 pieces). Then all the candy will be put in a bowl and it will be dessert for the next couple of weeks - one piece aftwr either lunch or dinner. Dh and I will go a little nuts for awhile after the kids go to bed. After a couple of weeks I throw what is left in the garbage. Oh, tonight after the kids go to bed I'll throw out the stuff no one will eat or anything that is partially opened.
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:28 AM   #8
katieq22
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I guess after a few weeks all the not so yummy candy is usually all that's left!! I like the dentist thing, I've never heard of that! Also donating it...
katieq22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:11 AM   #9
smashncakes
Registered Users
Formerly: bren***this
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkay724 View Post
Oh, it's not a problem. DH and I gorge ourselves on most of the desirable candy while the kids sleep. Limits the amount of chocolate they get for sure.
Same here. When we go through it to check it out, its sorted into a pile for the kids of the stuff they like (mostly smarties & suckers), a pile for me & DH (pretty much all the chocolate ), then a pile for my mooching adult sisters who show up to steal candy in the weeks following (tootsie rolls, twizzlers & all the other stuff). The kids can have 1-2 pieces of candy a day, if DS takes his lunch to school I may toss a piece in there for a treat, but other than that its not much. The thrill usually wears off within a week or two, then I use the remainder to cushion packages (instead of bubble wrap or paper) of treats to my friend in the military overseas.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:45 AM   #10
Sleep deprived
Registered Users

We allow him to eat as much candy on Halloween itself as he wants. Since we get back from trick-or-treatng right before bed-time, it's actually not that much. Thereafter, any night he eats a good dinner of real food, he's allowed to pick one treat from the basket. Last year's Halloween candy lasted until August...
Sleep deprived is offline   Reply With Quote