Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-31-2011, 07:53 PM   #11
marenmccoy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: halloween candy gallor!!

In another thread I saw someone suggest this and I thought it was a good idea if you're kids are really obsessing about the candy and don't want to give any up: Let them pick out a handful of favorites to keep and then they can trade in the rest for a toy or something else they want.

Although, also, you could just do less trick-or-treating. When I was a kid, I never went further than my own block and ended up with a very manageable bowl of candy. I never felt deprived.

Advertisement

marenmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:57 PM   #12
Vivhop98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I let my kids eat as much as they want for a day or two. I freeze anything chocolate and pitch the rest.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:00 PM   #13
nakedbabytoes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It's a candy free for all for 1 hour after finishing trick or treating, then it all goes in the treat jar to get dolled out slowly until Easter. That darn holiday gets us more candy than Halloween!!!
Old 10-31-2011, 08:05 PM   #14
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkay724 View Post
Oh, it's not a problem. DH and I gorge ourselves on most of the desirable candy while the kids sleep. Limits the amount of chocolate they get for sure.

Glad I'm not the only one! Although dd1 is 7 now and can pretty much account for every single piece of candy! Fortunately she often will give me the chocolate because she just wants the candy.
isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:33 PM   #15
lilsoldiersmommy
Registered Users
seller

I am letting ODS pick out his favorites, then taking the rest to Earthfare. They ate trading candy for goodie bags and kids meal. Win win for me, gets the candy out of the house and I don't have to pay for a dinner
Old 10-31-2011, 10:00 PM   #16
cdwelton
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by marenmccoy View Post
In another thread I saw someone suggest this and I thought it was a good idea if you're kids are really obsessing about the candy and don't want to give any up: Let them pick out a handful of favorites to keep and then they can trade in the rest for a toy or something else they want.

Although, also, you could just do less trick-or-treating. When I was a kid, I never went further than my own block and ended up with a very manageable bowl of candy. I never felt deprived.
My friend told me about the "Halloween Witch" kinda like the tooth fairy. She tells her son that if he leaves his bag of candy on the door step the witch will come and trade it in for a toy. Makes it fun until they are old enough to trade it in at the dentists office.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:25 PM   #17
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
My daughter is only three. She went with Gma to hit a few houses on her block just for the fun. I sent a few treats for my MIL to swap so that I could feel good about what she was eating. A piece of organic chocolate, a small bag of organic gummy bears and a few organic lollipops. I told MIL to do anything with the tot candy other than feed it to my daughter.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:58 PM   #18
Tooshie
Registered Users
seller

Our girls are 10 & 7, we tried the "Candy Fairy" on them for the first time this year. Well the candy fairy, he's not like humans, he can only survive on candy. ("He's a boy?!) You pick 4 pieces and leave the rest on the table. At night, he trades it for a cool present or money. Well they were delighted to hear this news!! Score!!! They told their friends, maybe it will catch on. They got some cool animal slippers, funky socks & a necklace.

Also, hoping the more healthy treats will catch on. Corn syrup free, organic. Costs a bit more but it's so much appreciated. Just give a little less we gave mini play dough's (Costco) and mini waters & small toys (bouncy balls, hair ties, wooden airplanes). Some kids actually took water bottles by choice!

WAHM keeping my new fam loved & healthy: SD Kaleigh 8/01, SD Brianna 6/03, DS Shay 4/11 & my handsome hubby & soul mate all put up with my crazy demands like eating real food & ridding the house of harmful chemicals
Tooshie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:20 AM   #19
mmmommy
Banned

My DD gets 3 pieces per day until it's gone.

When I was a kid, my mom used to freeze ours.

I think throwing it away is very wasteful...why even bother letting them go out? It's not MY money, but it IS money that the person giving the candy out could have spent elsewhere.

ETA: I don't eat chocolate, so having chocolate in our home is a special treat right now. She loves it. I make her chocolate chip cookies or buy the occasional pack of reese's PB cups or rolos for her, but otherwise, her chocolate consumption is limited.

Last edited by mmmommy; 11-01-2011 at 12:23 AM.
mmmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:36 AM   #20
wlillie
Banned

My Mood:

Up until this year it always went to work with me and dh to share with no input from the kid. This year, we might try the Halloween Fairy. Thanks!
wlillie is offline   Reply With Quote