Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-01-2011, 08:36 AM   #21
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmommy
My DD gets 3 pieces per day until it's gone.

When I was a kid, my mom used to freeze ours.

I think throwing it away is very wasteful...why even bother letting them go out?
I can answer this!! I let my daughter go out this year because she is proud of her dragon costume and because she enjoys chatting and socializing. It is certainly not for free candy. I can go to the store if I want my daughter to have candy, which I really don't. As for throwing it out, meh. My husband can bring it to work and share it when we go next year.

Advertisement

Old 11-01-2011, 11:31 AM   #22
GC's Mama
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: halloween candy gallor!!

We let the kids have many, many pieces on the actual night we go TOT'ing. After that, maybe one or two pieces a day, and then they forget about it. DH doesn't, so I hide it from him (at his request), and save the rest for Easter. Last year, though, we didn't have much candy at Easter because I was in my first trimester and fruity candy was all that sounded good. I had lots of lemonheads, grapeheads, and skittles.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:05 PM   #23
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

We're fairly strigent on how much they get. Mainly because of the Red dye and HFCS intolerance of my oldest. They aren't allowed to eat any while actually out trick or treating. Then when we get home, we dump it all on the table...ooooo and ahhhhh....and then they get to pick 2 pieces to eat them. The rest goes in a basket up high and they get to pick 2 a day for a week. Then out the door it goes to work for our treasure box at school or we also do the "would you like to trade for a toy/movie?"

We love to keep them involved in the decision making
Terra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 05:47 PM   #24
P!nkPepper

Formerly Q......9
seller
seller

My Mood:
We do the Great Pumpkin typically. They get a few pieces then trade for a small toy like a little Lego set. This year however, since it rained and we only hit up 10 actual houses, they got all their candy. They have a few pieces left. This year worked out perfect.
P!nkPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:25 PM   #25
Boheme
Registered Users
Formerly: happyve**n
seller

My Mood:

Most candy isn't vegan or free of red dye, so there are only a few things they can possibly eat. I think they all had maybe 6 or 7 pieces each that were acceptable. The kids don't mind at all, they aren't dessert-deprived (I love to bake!) and think the fun is the trick-or-treating.

DH takes all the extras to work for the people in his office. It's gone within a couple of days.

Boheme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:49 AM   #26
USMCgirl_05
Banned

My Mood:

What's a gallor?
USMCgirl_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:06 AM   #27
maddys_mama
Registered Users

My Mood:

DD can't have food dyes, so Halloween is tricky for her. We had a pep-talk before we went out....she didn't need to explain to everyone that she can't have foods dyes. Just take what they give, say thank you, and when we get home, we'll take out the candy you can't have and trade it for a new toy. She ended up asking for a new pair of shoes instead (who knew 4 year olds could be such fashionistas?!) and she can have 1 piece of food dye free candy per day.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:20 AM   #28
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

I let my kids have 5 pieces after ToTing. They typically go out from 6-7:30 and we still get other ToTers coming until 9, so then we "recycle" their candy and hand it back out. By the handfuls, if necessary. We'll keep favorites and let them have 1-2 a day for about a week.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:47 AM   #29
OrangeBananas
Registered Users
Formerly: Savannah+6
seller
seller

We just hit a few local blocks which was perfect because they got enough to get excited, but not so much that it would last a long time. They're allowed 1-2 pieces after lunch for a treat and that's it for the day. After ToTing they got to pick 3 pieces and then headed to bed.

OrangeBananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:47 AM   #30
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCgirl_05
What's a gallor?
I think she means: