Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-31-2011, 08:30 AM   #1
happymom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Minimalism vs thriftiness

That is the root of my problems. I have trouble getting rid of items because.... Well... You know one day you are going to need that exact item!!!!! It's a curse! I love the idea and look of minimalism but how as a " thrifty" mama do I justify getting rid of the good stuff? I kick myself each time I have to go out and buy something that at one point I had but trashed. Now my house isn't bad but every drawer, closet, and cabinet is bursting! Lol. For those mamas like me... How did you do it? What guidelines do you use? Was it worth it?

Advertisement

happymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:05 AM   #2
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:
Re: Minimalism vs thriftiness

well what are these items you NEED? could you accomplish the same job without the item in question?

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:17 AM   #3
FernHollow
Banned

My Mood:

I think it boils down to deciding what exactly your true NEEDS are. The huge majority of items in our households we think we "need" we really don't. I don't think I regret anything I've ever purged from my household. On very rare occasion if we end up needing an item that we purged, I've almost always ended up being able to find it for free from someone we need giving it away or for low cost by watching for a good sale. Minimalism is different for every family.
FernHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:34 AM   #4
happymom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Minimalism vs thriftiness... Pics added

I save tissue paper, reuse gift bags, have at least 9 tubs of clothes in boys and girls from 3 mo to current. I have tubs of maternity , a tub of sports items, multiple drawers of linens.. I save coupon inserts, mason jars, shoelaces, tons of old towels for dogs and muddy feet etc. At least two tubs I'd random wires cables USB cords. Etc. We move all the time so many times we need this stuff. I feel like I need it all! But I hate it . I want a nice peaceful garage not this

image-3253039652.jpg

But here is my kitchen. Not bad but still the cabinets are full!

image-355555760.jpg

I guess even the hidden clutter is bothering me. I'm smart.., I mean I have a stinking masters degree in education so logically I know what I NEED to do. It's just the attachment issues I have. My parents are worse Thanks environment and genetics!!!

Last edited by happymom; 10-31-2011 at 09:42 AM.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:27 AM   #5
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hey my mom is a hard core hoarder (show material) so you CAN break the cycle! Honestly a good bit of what you just listed would NOT make my NEED list. I would probably start with the kids clothes (I just did this and got rid of half of what I was saving and I have a 3 month old who will need clothes and I would LOVE to have 2 more kids...but not sure that will happen LOL) Your kids only need like 7-10 short sleeve and 7-10 long sleeve, 1 jacket, 1 coat, 2ish sweaters/sweatshirts, and a few pairs of pants and shorts. I am probably only going to save clothes up to a 5T and not past that because that is when kids seem to develop a particular taste in clothes and who knows if my YDD will want to wear skirts everyday like my ODD does or if she will want to wear pants (which ODD RARELY wears). It really is up to you but if you consider all of those things NEEDS maybe minimalism isn't ideal for your lifestyle (that sounds harsh but is not supposed too ) You just have to do what works for your family.

My house was/is a disaster due to us just not getting rid of stuff because we didn't think about it but I find very little in my house to be a NEED.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:42 AM   #6
loving my family
Registered Users

I have tubs of clothes to be passed down to I am no help there...I have 2 DD's & 2 DS's both are next to each other in age so I find it hard to get rid of things as well.
I understand about the clean up towels too I have a lot plus my clothes of different sizes.
I am watching this tread for any good advice as well LOL!!!
The only thing that helps me is not allowing tons of toy's in any more with out getting rid of others.
Last Christmas I had the girls help me go through the old toys we have a huge play room(23 ft by 14 ft wide) & if everything was dumped out it was above my knees in doll's what not. So we gave away like 10 huge trash bags full of every toy that was not getting any love.
We kept favorites for all of kids plus just extra stuff too & they still have a lot of things, but now they can find what they are looking for without dumping all the baskets out.
loving my family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:49 AM   #7
happymom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I think I need to just tackle one thing at a time. I am going to start with the laundry area. I have labeled bins but I have too much other junk in there. Its a catch all. Ugh

Last edited by happymom; 10-31-2011 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:53 AM   #8
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by happymom View Post
I think I need to just tackle one thing at a time. I am going to start with the laundry area. I have labeled bins but I have too much other junk in there. Its a catch all. Ugh
YEP!!! Otherwise it gets overwhelming fast!

Old 10-31-2011, 12:03 PM   #9
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Ok..clothes...Clothes can ALWAYS be had for cheap or free. ALWAYS. When my almost 3 yr old was about a year old, I gave nearly all her newborn, 3 month and 6 month cloths to a friend who was pg with a girl. I had intended to get them back at some point because I hadn't gone through them to know just what I wanted to keep. Well, within weeks of giving the clothes away, I found out that I was pg. I told my friend I was going to need the clothes once she was done with them but to for sure use them in the mean time. And of course, they were forgotten when we would get together, plans to exchange them would fall through etc etc. Come last September, I ended up being induced early and while I was on the way to the hospital realized I still had NO newborn clothes for the baby! But I promise I had a full dresser by the time we got home, from freecycle, CL and Goodwill. Clothes are the easiest cheapest things to get if you "NEED" them quickly.

The gift bags-if you are actually reusing them, then you should have a regular rotation. And I think keeping those with the rest of your giftwrapping supplies is probably fine. But if you notice that you have several that you have never used, then toss them. You will get gifts from others that will come in more gift bags that you can reuse. The tissue paper I would just toss. It's really inexpensive. Unless you are ACTUALLY using it. If you just feel awful tossing it, do some halloween or christmas crafts with it to get it used up. If you don't have time...then it's time to toss it.

The cables-if they are sitting in a tub, you don't need them. If you needed them then you would be using them.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:18 PM   #10
happymom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Love the ideas!!! I agree that If it's in a tub then I probably don't need it currently. I guess I save because I've moved 9 times in 12 yrs and every house/ apt/ townhouse/ military housing is different and we need different things. Different systems work for different houses. It's a pain it the butt but i don't know how many times I said" wait I have one in that box!!!" lol. It sure would be nice though not to have to drag boxes everywhere.

And this is all me,,, hubby would prefer to buy a new item as needed. He is a non coupon man.no researching deals. Need it buy it kinda guy. I'm the penny pincher.