Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-31-2011, 09:28 AM   #1
FernHollow
Banned

My Mood:
Minimalist moving mamas! Give me your best moving tips!

Thats a lot of M's in the title Anyone else in the process of packing for a move? Or have great tips on organizing for moving? On deciding what to keep? What is the best process when you have a couple weeks of dedicated time to sort/pack a household?

I think I've seen a few others on the Minimalist forum mention that they are either moving soon or in the process. We are *finally* moving to our new place in about 2 weeks after months of remodeling delays! I just started packing yesterday and I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed. Our house feels fairly minimalist compared to most, but as I'm starting to pack it all just feels like TOO MUCH. Luckily we are moving nearby and aren't in a rush. I have been sorting things for months, but now that I started packing I'm kind of freaking out that what seemed like just a few things looks like LOTS in boxes. The new place is a farmhouse built in 1939. There is almost NO storage. Just probably enough for the very basics.

I packed up our vases, the very few special knicknacks we own, and my cookbooks yesterday and it took up 3 whole small boxes. I didn't realize we had 3 boxes worth!!? I'm halfway tempted to take pick a few favorite things out of them and then take the rest of them to Goodwill instead

Advertisement

Last edited by FernHollow; 10-31-2011 at 09:29 AM.
FernHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:11 PM   #2
rawheid
Registered Users
seller

Re: Minimalist moving mamas! Give me your best moving tips!

I'm packing right now too. As I put things in boxes I ask myself the purging questions. Do I love this, do i use this, can I do without it, etc. Yes I've packed a few things that I think I should have donated, but I figure if I can't find a place for them as I un-pack I'll donate them too.

As for the packing I try and label the boxes really well, listing almost everything on the side of the box.

Do you have kids? If so have someone be with them for the day so that they aren't left out. in past moves I've had my Mom or my sister stay with our kids. I pack them a bag with their prized possessions, like their special blanket or toy as well as with a special snack. On moving day make sure that their bedrooms are set up first so that have a sense of normal.

Have EVERYTHING packed for the day you have people come to help you move. there is nothing worse than being still packing on the big day. Also to make cleaning the house easier after moving, I start cleaning a room at a time in the month before we move so that once we're in the new place I don't have to spend hours cleaning. Today I started washing the walls.

As I come up with more tips I'll post them. Hope this helps
Join me on Swagbucks

rawheid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:28 PM   #3
greenMImama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We are packing and purging for a move, we aren't sure when, we will list our house really soon.
Just today we got a storage container delivered and are putting all the extra in, to stage the house and garage. I'm not sure what all to keep but I have been really purging for about a month now and I am sure once we start boxing it up I will purge more, I think it always seems like a lot once you are packing it up.
RIght now I am trying to tie up loose ends, like recycling our old TV, getting some boxes of hand me downs over to a friend, stuff like that.
I haven't moved many times and never with kids, so I will be watching this thread.

240/2014
greenMImama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 05:16 PM   #4
newwife777
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My only suggestion would be to have a friend who will be honest with you come over and help out. she can ask the hard questions and make you think about stuff.

But, I am one of those people who start unpacking and EVERY time I find a decent pile of stuff that I'm like "why did I pack THAT??" which sucks because most of my moves involve countries and oceans, so it's suitcases and expensive shipping. Sigh.

AND, I feel you on the starting to pack and discovering your stuff has multiplied. ARGH. I decided that that is one of the "stages of packing"- "Has your crap started multiplying yet??" If not, then you're not really packing yet, hahaha. But yeah, it's seriously crazy. I'll be like, this will fit in what I have out to put it in. NOT.

I did tell DH that when we move next time we are NOT taking books we haven't read or movies we haven't watched while here in Korea.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:44 AM   #5
poopstermomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm having a hard time with "pack to move" mentality, because when we do move (hopefully in march) we'll actually be moving to a larger home. Sooo....I keep looking at things that are crowding up my closets, and think- "but when we get to the new house, I'll have more room...". I'm talking things like the gravy boat I've never used, our camping gear that we rarely use, decor that doesn't quite fit anywhere in our current home, etc.

I need to remind myself constantly that this junk will not look good in our new, lovely home! I want to start fresh, and not pack one extra thing I don't have to.

***WAIT-- I just felt a surge of inspiration!!! Off to declutter!
poopstermomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:49 AM   #6
MotherMoonPads
Formerly: KeepYourBabyClose
seller
seller

My Mood:

We are planning on moving in June, and we are hoping to leave most of our stuff behind. We plan on giving it away
MotherMoonPads is offline   Reply With Quote