Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-31-2011, 06:55 PM   #1
MyKzooFamily
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Weird Supply Issues.. from small breasts?

I know that lactation consultants have always told me that the size of my boobs has nothing to do with my supply issues, but I still wonder.

My issue is this.. I leak as soon as milk is available. And I don't stop leaking until I pump or BF. When I DO pump or breastfeed, I only have about 5 mins of milk on each side. I can be pumping, and literally go dry in 5-10 minutes, with NOTHING coming out. Then a couple hours later, full and leaking again. But again.. not much there! But I'm 'full'.

I had this problem with DS. He would be starving, nurse, and not get much. And then 2 hours later when I was leaking, I would try again, but he would only get 5-10 minutes worth. We were literally up every couple hours feeding, and he was always hungry. I was so exhausted I gave up and did formula. He would get his 4-6 oz., pass out, and sleep until the next feeding.

I REALLY want to breastfeed, EBF, the next time around. But I know it may not be possible, especially with needing sleep going back to work. I want to put LO on a schedule, and wake/feed every few hours. But I can't do that if she is only going to get 5-10 minutes worth of milk. Even pumping, I only got 2 oz. per pumping.

Is there a way to increase my supply? Because I have smaller boobs (A cup), could it be that my boobs really are "Full" with a couple ounces, compared to a larger breasted woman being able to have many ounces in her ducts? I know that my boobs did grow over a little while to a B cup, and I would assume they could grow or the milk ducts could learn to produce more over time.

I just really, really worry about having little to offer, and having to offer it way too often. Any thoughts?

Advertisement

Expecting (surprise) Baby #5 this summer.
MyKzooFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:05 PM   #2
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:
Re: Weird Supply Issues.. from small breasts?

I have a small A cup (read, I could wear a training bra HAHA) when not BF and my DD can get 8 ounces out of 1 side in less than 10 minutes. She only nurses on 1 side at a feeding and eats for an average of 10 minutes and rarely 15 minutes. I go to BF support group so I know how much she is eating and it is 7-8 ounces on the morning feedings (she STTN) and about 4-5 in the evenings. Anyways, all that to say it is not the SIZE of your breasts but it could be a different issue ya know? I would try eating oatmeal (that really helps some people) then if that fails try fenugreek and if not you can try the doperi.....whatever, don't know how to spell it.

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:09 PM   #3
MyKzooFamily
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Definitely will try that! As much as I really want to breastfeed for the closeness and bonding, I may end up pumping and supplementing with formula when needed. Would love to EBF this time around, though, as I have never done it before.

Good to know it's not a size issue, but I'm so jealous that you are able to get that much!! I've never been able to pump that amount, but I do feel like I gave up pretty fast. I think the most I have ever pumped from 1 breast was 4 oz., and I was in awe. I also think I had started engorgement, so it didn't happen often at all.

Good to know there are herbs and things to try! I have also heard there are prescriptions that can help, too.
Expecting (surprise) Baby #5 this summer.
MyKzooFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:19 PM   #4
rosenfried2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
What a helpful thread!!!

Follow me at my blog:Rosenfried's Ramblings
rosenfried2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:38 PM   #5
blathnat
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have supply issues- and I have smaller breasts (but I think its more the shape- not the size- that gives me my issues)

There are two drugs- Reglan (which you can get by prescription in the US- but has some nasty side effects) and Domperidome which is not FDA approved so can only be ordered online or at a compounding pharmacy. Try inhousepharmacy dot biz for the domperidome. It works really well for some women. It gave me a bump in supply- but not a huge one and I eventually stopped because it gave me headaches- but it does wonders for some.

I have had good luck with a combo or fenugreek, blessed thistle, and goat's rue. Goat's rue is especially helpful if you need to develop mammary tissue.

Non-alcholic beer and barely water are good beverages to help supply. Oatmeal, flax, and brewer's yeast can also boost supply.

There are two good books to check out- Making More Milk, and Motherfood.

Also if you do need to supplement- consider using a SNS or Lact-aid so that you can supplement at the breast to continue to get stimulation- the more stimulation to more you produce.

Good Luck!
Old 10-31-2011, 08:47 PM   #6
BabyCentric
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I read somewhere that pumping output is not an accurate indicator Of how much you produce. Your baby may be getting more than you think.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:48 PM   #7
Blindbatbeth
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I can't remember what site (kelly mom?) but it said that when your breast are "full" you should only be able to pump 2-4 oz and if you nurse every couple hours for 5-10 mins thats normal. Not to sound harsh/judgemental or whatever but doesn't sound like supply issue, my baby was Always hungry and I though I had low supply until I understood breastfeeding better. Let your baby nurse as much as possible because it builds supply and the baby cannot completely empty your breasts. Imagine your breasts like a cup of water and you drink it with a straw but at the same time your friend has a pitcher of water and pours it in while you are drinking it. Definitly read on Kellymom because it really helped me understand how breastfeeding works and helped me overcome my fears. I wouldn't take anything to boost supply unless your sure you have an issue because over supply can cause issues too. Good luck mama :-)
Old 10-31-2011, 10:45 PM   #8
KristieW
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKzooFamily View Post
I had this problem with DS. He would be starving, nurse, and not get much. And then 2 hours later when I was leaking, I would try again, but he would only get 5-10 minutes worth. We were literally up every couple hours feeding, and he was always hungry. I was so exhausted I gave up and did formula. He would get his 4-6 oz., pass out, and sleep until the next feeding.
This is entirely normal BFing baby behavior. BM digests faster than formula, so EBF'd babies need to eat more often. My LO is 4MO and eats roughly every two hours; DD1 did as well until she was 6 or so months, and she still ate every 2 (or more!) hours all night because she decided she was MUCH too busy to eat during the day, LOL! Your LO also might be an efficient feeder--it's a rare occasion when DD2 eats for 10 full minutes (as opposed to DD1, who could drag it on for 45+) because she's just really an efficient nurser.

Trying to put an EBF'd baby on a schedule is a good way to DECREASE your supply. To keep a good supply, allow baby to nurse as often as he needs and for as long as he needs, and make sure to watch for early hunger cues so that you're catching him before he's too grumpy to feed well.

Spend some time reading on Kellymom--she has a lot of great info about what low supply really is and what typical newborn feeding patterns are.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:33 PM   #9
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

Did you ever do a pre and post feed weight to see how much your DS was getting in a nursing session? How old was he when he was nursing every 2 hours?

A normal amount from a pumping session is 0.5 to 2.5 oz *total* from both breasts. You sound like you were getting a normal amount--but never gauge your supply from pumping.

Were you able to nurse side-lying with your DS? That's a great way to get more rest even though you nurse frequently.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:59 AM   #10
inhomecare
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Our society is so ingrained with formula feeding "rules" that even moms who exclsively breastfeed still get this notion that their babies frequently aren't getting enough to eat. It is totally normal for a baby to want to nurse several times an hour or once every three hours. My 7 month old eats 2-3 times AN HOUR. Trust me...I don't have low supple. I was tandem nursing and have pumped over 700 ounces to donate. My baby just likes to eat short frequent meals. A much better measure of how much a baby eats is by looking at overall growth over a span of time (not a few days or even a few weeks as babies grow in spurts, not lines) and diaper output.

And sometimes babies that eat frequently do so because without that constant stimulation a mom will have supply issues. Even if the baby is not really taking anything in they are still stimulating mom to make more milk.

Also, pumping output has nothing to do with the amount of milk that your breasts actually produce. Babies are much more efficient than a pump will ever be. Breasts also don't always store milk. They store some and produce some on demand, especially when breasts are smaller.