Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-01-2011, 05:42 AM   #1
Jessrouth
Registered Users
seller

ideas for experience gifts?

we're on our way to becoming more minimalist...my girls are ages 4, 2, and 10 months. I have a couple of christmas gifts for them to open but i'm leaning towards getting them gifts of experiences. I'd much prefer memories to things! Any ideas for young children that don't cost an arm and a leg? TIA

Advertisement

Jessrouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:25 AM   #2
Hitchkids
Registered Users

Re: ideas for experience gifts?

It kind of depends on what you do with your family on a regular basis and what prices are like in your area. Do you go to the movies on a regular basis? Can you get a membership to a museum? How about a paint your own pottery place? In our area, one of the local ski areas has a very inexpensive ski lesson program with the local park system. Bowling, Chuck E Cheese. Do you have a place to arrange a trail ride on a horse? Sit down with your kids and see what they'd like to do that you don't do often. Then go from there.
Hitchkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 01:45 AM   #3
naomi's mama
Registered Users
seller

I think the museum or zoo family membership is a great idea. We have them and the kids love to go, even if it's for an hour. Or, perhaps a class like swim class or gymnastics? Or, perhaps tickets to see the Nutcracker? Yes, that's expensive, but we bought them for my DD this year b/c she's loves the music and we show her some youtube scenes. She's stoked - and so am I (she's almost 5).
naomi's mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:34 AM   #4
poopstermomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Your kids are super-young. I wouldn't imagine they'll notice the difference between one gift and ten. Give your 2 year old her own library card, and maybe a nice bag to carry her books in.

Experiences for your 4 year old could be coupons she can cash in. "bake cookies with mommy" , "special lunch with daddy", "extra half hour of tv", "day in your jammies", "pankcake Saturday" "feed the ducks at the lake" :stuff like that. Children don't expect much and the simplest things can create amazing memories!

I don't think your aged kids will get the concept of "we got a pass to the zoo", kwim? Take them, for sure, and if you have a christmas budget, definately use it for that instead of more toys, but if that is to be their main gift, make it tangible in some way- a coupon, a book about animals, or maybe a dsposable camera that they can take pictures with at the zoo. ???
My kids are 2, 1 and 4 months, so I am kinda with you in trying to figure this out. I just decided one gift each, and that's it. My 2 year old won't know the difference. I am asking relatives for consumable art materials- stuff that we will use and throw away.

We are going to use our Christmas budget to start savings accounts for the little two. Much better use of our money! And better for our clutter issues
poopstermomma is offline   Reply With Quote