Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-09-2012, 12:32 AM   #11
Kaboom
Registered Users
Formerly: ErinMartin
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by walking-iris
I have always wanted to homeschool since I was pregnant with my ds (9 years old) and getting a diagnosis of PDD-NOS/OCD-anxiety and sensory issues at 3 just cemented my decision.

He gets plenty of social interaction from friends, cousins, family and community activities and co-op. I know that putting him in a school situation where it is overcrowded and overstimulating (which I know our local school to be) would be too much for him. I truly believe these kiddos deal better with quality friendships and social interactions and not quantity.

I also feel that he can get a top notch education with me providing one on one time and by having the ability to change things that are not working. As his mother/teacher I can change things immediately to help him---no going through an IEP process and having to convince so many different people that he has a unique need that wastes time. It's not working---it's changed. Period.
I could have written this post! I have an almost-7-year-old DD with AS... For a month or so of preschool and a month or so of kindergarten (start of the school year), I tried to integrate her in the public school setting because I felt like I needed a break from her... In the end it backfired because the few hours of being away was met with even MORE difficult behavior when she was home.

After I pulled her out in K, I realized that even though having her home can be difficult, it's what's best for both of us. So we've been happily HSing since... I also HS her 5 year old brother alongside her, while the 3 and almost-2-year-old are playing.

They go to church once a week for a two hour class with other similarly aged children (within 2-3 years of her) and love it. We also get out and do our regular household things (shopping and whatnot) where they interact with people of all ages. All of my older children have great social skills!

We used Sonlight this year and love it, but I ordered Calvert for next year to see if it might save a little bit of time in our day.

Advertisement

Kaboom Pocket Pants Pattern!
Use code 'DSMAMA10' at checkout for 10% off!
Kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:30 PM   #12
walking-iris
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: To Homeschool or not Homeschool with Asperger Syndrome

Yes it is difficult to homeschool a child with sn ---sometimes you just crave a break and fantasize about ps. But thenI realize that he woul dbe miserable in school. I just know it and I know that he wouldn't be able to learn as much in a crowded situation. I'm pretty happy having my kid sat home and learning right along with them. And they do get plenty of social interaction (sometimes even too much for me to even handle )
walking-iris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:19 PM   #13
KingsDaughter76
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: To Homeschool or not Homeschool with Asperger Syndrome

My almost 13 yr old son has aspergers.... he used to be in public school....long story short- well he hated it and constantly got picked on and bullied because he is socially akward. The public schools did the very minimum to try to help him. We worked with them for a while before making the decision to homeschool all our children. That was one of the big reasons we chose to homeschool- but not the only one. My son used to chew his fingers up until they were a bloody mess while in public school from all the stress he was under in elementary school. Since homeschooling him for the past 4 years he has completely changed and blossomed into a well adjusted teenager. He is much much better socially too since he can now practice at home with his family without pressure and ridicule of others and he gets plenty of socialization opportunities thru our homeschool activites and group. He no longer chews his fingers up- that totally stopped! He is happy and creative and is just doing wonderful-I would NEVER NEVER NEVER put him back into public school. He loves homeschooling so much! All our kids do!

It was more difficult to homeschool him- he needs reminders to stay on task alot, tends to focus heavily into one subject to the neglect of others...so we do adapt our homeschooling to fit HIS needs and keep him learning. He is very advanced in alot of areas...so we add in where he needs and such. School and learning is fun for him now and he is excited to start planning for his adult future once he graduates. I feel homeschooling will give him the edge to be successful in this complicated world of an aspergers child.

Hope this helps. :-)
Kellina ~Wife to a Cowboy & Christian Homeschooling Mama to 9 kids and YES we would love to have more! Baby #9 is here!! IT'S A GIRL!! Born Oct 1st 2014!!
Forever missing my 7 m/c babies now safe in the arms of Jesus EARN Amazon giftcards for FREE!! Click to sign up for SWAGBUCKS!!
KingsDaughter76 is offline   Reply With Quote