Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-01-2011, 09:59 AM   #1
Ellysmom06
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Does a child have to be in Kindergarten before going to 1st grade?

The reason I'm asking is because my daughter missed the cut off in the state we're in. She needed to be 5 by Aug 31st (her birthday is Sept 9) to go to Kindergarten here. We are moving to a new state in July and the requirements are 5 by Sept 15 for Kindergarten and 6 by Sept 15 for 1st grade. She will meet the requirement for 1st grade. Because she missed the cut off here we have her in a pre K program and i've been doing a K homeschool curriculum with her at home so she should intellectually and socially be ready for first grade, I'm just wondering if there is a law or requirement stating all kids have to attend Kindergarten?

Advertisement

Come earn free Amazon Gift Cards with me using Swagbucks!

Check out my listings on Ebay
Ellysmom06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:03 AM   #2
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Does a child have to be in Kindergarten before going to 1st grade?

My school district requires it. However, if you homeschooled her for kindy, you would have a case to make an appeal. I would apply for homeschool permits or whatever is required in your state, and just state that you are homeschooling her this year for K.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:16 AM   #3
Ellysmom06
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
My school district requires it. However, if you homeschooled her for kindy, you would have a case to make an appeal. I would apply for homeschool permits or whatever is required in your state, and just state that you are homeschooling her this year for K.
This state requires you to register with an 'umbrella school' for homeschooling, but since she didn't meet the state requirements for being in kindergarten (ie 5 by Aug 31st) they said I couldn't register her as 'officially doing kindergarten homeschool' and I would have to register again in Kindergarden next year.

I guess I'll just send her to Kindergarten and have her just be one of the oldest kids. I only am hesitent because I dont want her to suffer and be 'bored' because she knows the material, she knows the letters, numbers, colors ect. We've been working on light math with the Cuisiner rod as manipulatives, she can read sight words ect..all Kindergarten stuff because of the 'homeschooling' and I just didn't want her to have to sit through and repeat it and not be challenged :/

Old 11-01-2011, 10:24 AM   #4
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

I would wait until you get to the new school district and see what they say. It is very possible they will simply have her take a test to make sure she's academically ready for first grade. It will just depend on the school district. I've even heard of some that will put a child in kindergarten for about a week and then move the child up as a way to get around the rules.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:49 AM   #5
katieq22
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
That's a tough one. We had the same type of thing happened when we moved but it was right before K started so we made the cutoff. I know what you mean about not
Wanting her to be bored. If it were me
I probably contact the new school district now & see what your options are. Is there only 1 elementary school in the town your moving to? I know around here some private schools will bump the kids up that are ready but then you're talking more $ out of poket. I'd call them & maybe start asking around. Oh, just a thought- do you have any local daycare centers that offer a K program? Might be worth trying to send her there & then maye the new school district will count it as a K program?
katieq22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:07 AM   #6
Mercy24
Registered Users
seller
seller

I don't think all states require Kindergarten, at least they didn't used to. Wouldn't hurt to check the laws in the state and see if you could just skip it all together.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:07 AM   #7
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would just send her to K in your new state. Even if she is advanced for her age now, it doesn't necessarily mean she will be in middle school or high school. You wouldn't want to have to hold her back then if she is struggling or not grasping the material as quick as other students when she could have had the extra year.

The cut off for our new state is later than our old so I had the mindset of the opposite for dd3 whose b-day is Sept. 17. But, I'm not sending her when she could go here....she will do an extra year of preschool (ours has a preK program) and then she will go to K the following year.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:12 AM   #8
Mommy2Cadence
Registered Users
seller
seller

It all depends on your new state. I know legally in Ga kids dont have to even start school until age 7.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:14 AM   #9
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

Our state allows your child to test into the grade you feel she should be in. You could be denied, but if they feel she is ready, they will let her enter first grade on a probation period... if by October she is struggling either academically, or socially, they can have her put in Kindergarten.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:29 AM   #10
Ellysmom06
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ok thank you for these responses. My husband is worried she will act out in Kindergarten because sometimes she has a 'i'm older, i know this' bossy attitude (like shes the oldest in her sunday school class and sometimes that problem comes up), so he's worried that if shes not challenged she may think she doesn't have to listen in class and stuff. I e-mailed the school district to see who I should contact about it, i dont want to wait until we get there because it will be the end of July and dont want to scramble to register her, so i'm trying to get a head start on all my questions. Thank you for the responses and at least i know no to even ask the school district the question since it looks like every state differs (i didn't know if there was some US law stating all kids go to kindergarten <i know i'm probably a lame dummy for thinknig that)