View Poll Results: What yarn do you prefer for baby cocoons and hats
acrylic - solid colors 0 0%
acrylic - variegated colorway 0 0%
wool - commercially dyed 3 37.50%
wool - hand dyed 7 87.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-02-2011, 12:05 PM   #1
Carol/GA
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Unhappy Mods - I think I put this in the wrong spot, please move to WAHM info

Help. I need input. I make baby cocoons and really love knitting them but not sure about pricing and how do I explain to my customers that not all cocoons are going to be the same cost and why? It's like cars, a Porsche isn't the same cost as a Sub. The larger cocoons cost more money (and most folks get that) but some of the yarns are hateful to work with. They make lovely cocoons but are a pita to work with and take longer.

My pink and white variegated cocoon is a best seller but it takes me a lot longer to knit and I really struggle with the slippery yarn that splits. The finished product is amazing, though, so I still do it.

My favorite yarn is acrylic because it is machine washable, easy to work with and comes out gorgeous.

I do love doing the hand dyed wool yarn, though, but don't do much of it because the moms I sell to don't want to have to hand wash and block it or are scared of wool being scratchy. Good wool is dreamy, not scratchy, but they don't know that so I have to try to educate them about wool ;-)

I also love alpaca but have the same problem with customers not wanting to deal with washing.

So - what to charge for my cocoons and hats? I have sold some for $64.99 for a cocoon and hat set and others for $39.99. I sold one for $24.99 on ebay because I messed up on the listing.

I want to sell more, though, because sales are slow so maybe if I sold for a little less. I am trying to find out what a good price is and still make a decent profit. Most of the money, thus far, has all been donated to charity so the more I make, the more I can help others.

I already checked out prices on Etsy, Hyena Cart and Ebay. The prices are all over the map from $20 (how do they make any money at that price?) to hundreds of dollars for photo props.

So here is a poll.....

How much would you pay for..

a preemie cocoon
a newborn cocoon
a 0-3 mo cocoon

and how much extra would you pay if there was a hat with each cocoon? They take almost as long (but not quite) because the decreases slow you down and are exactly the same on each item - the only difference is you knit the cocoon longer.

To know what I am talking about, you can see what I make on my website at GrandmothersAttic.net I am honestly not trying to get sales with this post, I really really need input on pricing. Help!!!

Advertisement

Last edited by Carol/GA; 11-02-2011 at 01:23 PM. Reason: a ds mom emailed me to let me know this discussion is in the wrong place, can you move it for me, please?
Carol/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:18 PM   #2
pinky74
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would say as you just said, just more briefly. This beautiful yarn requires a careful hand and more time to create this beautiful cacoon. My prices reflect this additional time.

It is similar to a serged vs turned and top stitched diaper, the latter is more time.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:24 PM   #3
Carol/GA
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help! I need input.

Awesome, thanks so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky74 View Post
I would say as you just said, just more briefly. This beautiful yarn requires a careful hand and more time to create this beautiful cacoon. My prices reflect this additional time.

It is similar to a serged vs turned and top stitched diaper, the latter is more time.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:33 PM   #4
ck510
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What I would do is figure out how many yards it requires and then how much you want per yard. Most knitters who do this charge anywhere from .15 to .22 which doesn't sound like it's that much but a lot of yardage goes into even a small project. then I would weigh the end result and see how many oz it took and factor that into the price. For example say it took 150 yards (at.19/yd) and you used 3 oz of yarn which cost you $3/oz your pricing would be around $28.50 plus $9 more for the yarn=$37.50. If you feel the need to add a few extra dollars to work with a more difficult yarn then explain why.

From there you could figure out an average for knitting each size and make it a flat rate then add in the cost of the yarn.
ck510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 01:07 PM   #5
Carol/GA
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I really appreciate the input, it is logical and intelligent. I haven't sold knitting in the past and it wouldn't have occured to me to do it this way ;-) r
Quote:
Originally Posted by ck510 View Post
What I would do is figure out how many yards it requires and then how much you want per yard. Most knitters who do this charge anywhere from .15 to .22 which doesn't sound like it's that much but a lot of yardage goes into even a small project. then I would weigh the end result and see how many oz it took and factor that into the price. For example say it took 150 yards (at.19/yd) and you used 3 oz of yarn which cost you $3/oz your pricing would be around $28.50 plus $9 more for the yarn=$37.50. If you feel the need to add a few extra dollars to work with a more difficult yarn then explain why.

From there you could figure out an average for knitting each size and make it a flat rate then add in the cost of the yarn.