Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 11-01-2011, 03:39 PM   #1
Registered Users
Need Information PMDD

I weaned my son in august and had my first period since giving birth the first week of October. Everything seamed normal. Then last week I went completely insane. I screamed at my children and I said things that no child should ever hear. I had no control over my emotions and it was terrible. When pregnant I get antepartum depression and it continues after birth until I wean the baby. Whenever I have an uneven balance of hormones I have severe mood swings. I take zoloft and this helps me. After weaning my first 2 children I had no need to take zoloft any more, even when I was PMSing I didn't have bad mood swings. I think I might now have PMDD. I can't go through that again, I can't put my children through that again.
I was planning on waiting to get pregnant again until ds1 is in kindergarten.
I am wondering if I went on a constant birth control if this would help me. Does anyone else have mood swings on uninterrupted birth control?
I am worried that it would not help at all and that I need to go back on Zoloft again to maintain even. When my hormone levels are low and even I feel really strange when I am on Zoloft and really great and happy when I am off it. I don't think that I can only take Zoloft only week a month because it needs a consistent level to work right.

The predisposition of getting really bad blood clots runs in my family, so I might not even be able to to take birth control.

I really just don't know what to do. Any info is appreciated.

Wife to Andrew, Mother to Zoe(7), Luke(5), and Henry(3)
Baby lost at 17 weeks June 28th 2013
Baby lost at 15 weeks March 2014
babycat42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:31 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Need Information PMDD

Not in your situation, but I took BCP for 8 years- it didn't effect my mood at all. I think for most people they actually make you more moody. I would talk to you doc- there are lots of other meds to take besides Zoloft. You can find one that fits for you. If you were getting zoloft from your general doc, I would go to a psychiatrists since they are better qualified. Unless your doc hasn't done a hormone test. I would do that first.
SAHM to LR 7/26/07 and IHM 10/6/10, wife to a self proclaimed genius, ex-navy guy. Going places and doing things that I always dreamed of, but never imagined I would.
jbug_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:44 PM   #3
Googly Bear
Registered Users
Formerly: Leighznich
My Mood:

Hugs mama, have a heart to heart with your Dr. I personally find that I go nuts on bcp since having children, but before I had kids I tolerated them just fine - not even PMS. Everybody is different though, that's why I suggest you speak to your dr asap. I hope you find something to help you (maybe even try a naturopath??)
DD 7/30/06, : DS 3/27/08, and not-so-baby anymore DS 6/7/11
Googly Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 02:26 PM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:

I dont know about PMDD, but my PMS is much worse since DS2 than before. I feel physically irritated for no reason, Ive never felt that way until recently. I would talk to your doc asap.
WAHM to Irish Twin Boys, S 02/09 and O 01/10.

And one en-route via the red thread
ggill is offline   Reply With Quote