Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-01-2011, 05:13 PM   #1
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
*May 2011 Mamas - November Chat*

Wow, can you believe it's November already and our babies are already almost halfway through their first year? Yikes!!

Just read the end of the October thread so I could reply. Hope I didn't miss anyone! I love the idea of doing monthly updates with pictures - and I wish we could have playdates too!! That would be so much fun.

cherrycoke - What a beautiful picture of you and your DS! I love it too!

Rachel - I love the costumes and especially the picture of your LOs in their wool soakers. They are so adorable!!! Yay for Toby sitting up! That's so funny!

Tilliesmom - Such a pretty picture of you and your DD! I second the Moby wrap for being snuggly for sleepy babies. It is really great for distributing weight over the shoulders but it has a learning curve and takes more time to put on. I like the Ergo for going out and popping DD into it quickly. HTH!

Here we are for Halloween:

Advertisement

Last edited by justineybean; 12-09-2011 at 08:47 PM.
justineybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:33 PM   #2
Zookeeper
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Aw! Love the little sweet pea costume!

~Rachel
Old 11-02-2011, 01:56 AM   #3
cherrycoke
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: *May 2011 Mamas - November Chat*

I love all the pictures! We should definitely do this regularly.

P.S. mad multitasking skills here: typing this reply and using a manual pump because I totally night-nursed DS on the same side a couple of times in a row!
Old 11-02-2011, 07:09 AM   #4
Tillie'smom
Registered Users
seller

The costumes and pics were great! I am glad we did that. It is silly but I feel like I know you all better now.
Now that some of our babes are on the verge of the six month mark, is anyone contemplating starting cereal soon? I apologize, I don't even know if that is a PC question for breastfeeding moms. People ask me all the time and are suprised when I have not yet. Lately, she has not been sleeping as well and she does sit up at the table in her highchair and chew on a spoon while we have dinner and she shows an interest in our food. . . I just wonder is she is hungry and ready?
What are the rest of you doing and what did you do with your older children?
Tillie'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:23 AM   #5
cherrycoke
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have food allergies so we're waiting until 1yr (or as long as I can hold out ) to start solids, including cereal. When I tell people that, they nod like they understand though I'm not sure if they do lol. If I didn't have allergies, I would hold out until 6 months to start solids, or longer if DS wasn't ready. He also shows interest in our food while we're eating but he also shows the same amount of interest in my laptop when I'm typing or my yarn while I'm knitting, so I don't know that it's specific to food just yet. One way you can see if your baby is ready to try food is use a spoon to give her breastmilk. My husband might try this just for fun one day while I'm at work
Old 11-03-2011, 07:42 AM   #6
Tippytoe
Registered Users
seller

Oh my goodness the babies are so adorable!!

Rachel, your boys are so handsome!! Loving the sbish shot!!

Tillie's mom, she's looking adorable in her little exersaucer. We had that one for my other two, and I gave it away. A few weeks later, we found out I was pregnant! We miss it lol. I would look into either a good wrap or a ssc like a beco Gemini or beco butterfly 2. WAY more comfortable than the snuggli. Way more. The weight is evenly distributed across your back. The beco butterfly 2 is so easy to put on and wear. I LOVE mine.

Justine your babe is gorgeous in her pea costume.

Cherrycoke, we discovered chik fil a a few months ago, and LOVE it!! But it's 45 minutes away from us. What a precious pic of you two. It's nice to put a face behind all the posts.

I need to add some of us.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:26 AM   #7
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrycoke View Post
I love all the pictures! We should definitely do this regularly.

P.S. mad multitasking skills here: typing this reply and using a manual pump because I totally night-nursed DS on the same side a couple of times in a row!
I actually did the same thing the night before less! DD hasn't been nursing as much at night in general too which is okay but a little rough in the morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookeeper View Post
Aw! Love the little sweet pea costume!

~Rachel
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillie'smom View Post
The costumes and pics were great! I am glad we did that. It is silly but I feel like I know you all better now.
Now that some of our babes are on the verge of the six month mark, is anyone contemplating starting cereal soon? I apologize, I don't even know if that is a PC question for breastfeeding moms. People ask me all the time and are suprised when I have not yet. Lately, she has not been sleeping as well and she does sit up at the table in her highchair and chew on a spoon while we have dinner and she shows an interest in our food. . . I just wonder is she is hungry and ready?
What are the rest of you doing and what did you do with your older children?
I am thinking of trying some cereal or just skipping straight to baby food like squished up banana or something. I think they now say that's okay. Lol, pediatric recommendations are ALWAYS changing, it makes me laugh (and makes me crazy) sometimes. We started DS around the same time but honestly he didn't really eat baby food regularly, including finger foods like Cheerios, until around 9-10 months maybe. I was just going to let DD start playing with food though! It'll be fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippytoe View Post
Tillie's mom, she's looking adorable in her little exersaucer. We had that one for my other two, and I gave it away. A few weeks later, we found out I was pregnant! We miss it lol. I would look into either a good wrap or a ssc like a beco Gemini or beco butterfly 2. WAY more comfortable than the snuggli. Way more. The weight is evenly distributed across your back. The beco butterfly 2 is so easy to put on and wear. I LOVE mine.

Justine your babe is gorgeous in her pea costume.

I need to add some of us.
Thanks YES, you do need to add your pictures!!
... Do you use the Beco Gemini? That one allows baby to face out too, doesn't it? I was thinking DD would like that better than having to face in with the Ergo. Just wondering how they compare if you have used both (or at least what you do like about Beco). Thanks in advance

My grandparents are visiting me and DD today. Unfortunately I don't know if they'll get to see DS since he's away at pre-school. Also I finished filling out our loan application for a house we want to buy (yay!!!) I hope everyone has a great day!!
justineybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:03 AM   #8
Tippytoe
Registered Users
seller

I have been contemplating a Gemini for a long time. My only problem is that I can't decide on a print!! The Gemini does allow a forward face out carry, a forward face in carry, hip carry, and back carry. It has a lot of great features! The lower panel snaps in to make the opening for the baby's legs bigger. So smaller babes don't have to stretch out their legs. It goes up to a 35 lb weight limit. The straps can criss cross your back, and it is so comfortable. I have a 4th Generation, and the straps cross on the back. I love it!!!

The beco butterfly 2 is lovely, also. It has an internal panel that sort of holds your baby, or supports your baby. It's between you and your baby. It is very comfy!! I love mine, too . It's easy to use when out and about. You can back carry or face in front carry with it. The internal panel comes in handy if you want to back carry or pass baby for someone else to wear without taking the babe out. Just put on like a back pack and it carries up to 45 lbs.

It's well worth the investment of a good carrier. You can find them used for decent prices . Now, the ergo, I have not tried. But do have friends who have. I just love my becos, though!!

Last edited by Tippytoe; 11-03-2011 at 10:06 AM.
Tippytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 03:50 PM   #9
Tillie'smom
Registered Users
seller

Tippytoe, thanks for the 411 on the beco Gemini. I really do want a carrier where she can face out. She wants to be near but still in all the action.

Justineybean and cherrycoke, I fed Tillie formula with her spoon today! It was hilarious! She grabbed the spoon from me to feed herself a couple of times. I think she is going to be quite the enthusiastic eater. Caught me a little unprepared though. Had no idea she would take to it with such gusto. I need to get a book and a steamer quick!
Tillie'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 02:32 AM   #10
cherrycoke
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

OT but I'm so excited I had to share, we're going to be sidecarring a crib with our bed, I talked DH into it! Backstory: We live in a tiny house, like our biggest room is our living room and that's 11x18 (or around there), we have only two bedrooms and neither one has closets! So with furniture to hold clothes and things, we were only able to co-sleep with DS in a bassinet until he outgrew the bassinet (at 2mo.) then he had to move to his pack-and-play. I wasn't ready to have him in his own room (both emotionally and physically, his room is where we threw stuff that needed to be stored) so his PNP is outside our room, in the living room. Definitely not my ideal sleeping arrangement. Half the time, DS ends up sleeping in our bed anyway and DH is on the couch because he's an xbox insomniac AND I get up early for work so the easiest way to make sure I get sleep it to have DS next to me for night nursing.

Anyway...we have a little extra money and I was looking at the Arm's Reach Co-Sleeper but if I bought one, DS wouldn't be in that very long and we'd be back in the same boat we are now, so I started looking at other options. DH does not sleep in the bed when I have DS because he's such a sound sleeper (I still get elbowed in the face on occasion), but it's soooooo nice having DS sleep next to me because I feel like I get way more sleep and it feels like DS sleeps later into the morning. I got so excited when I started finding information on how to sidecar a crib, and literally, the kellymom facebook page just shared the same blog about it that I showed DH, so I'm clearly meant to sidecar The comments on the shared post were great because people were saying they did it with their 2 and 3 year olds, so clearly it works for extended periods of time, not just a few months like the Arm's Reach!

We just have to a) get all the crap out of DS's room and put it in the attic, which we're doing this Sunday b) figure out if we want to keep our bed in our room or move our bed and do the sidecar thing in DS's room and have our room be like a big closet where our clothes/DS's things are, and c) buy a crib and attach it. With the small house, we originally figured a PNP would work just fine until a toddler bed, so we didn't get a "real" crib. Once we're ready, I'm going to be checking out craigslist so that most of our budget can be spent on a new mattress (or two because our bed is super tall). I'm really hoping that we'll be all set up in just a week or two