Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 11-03-2011, 09:13 AM   #31
Registered Users
Re: Starting over..maybe

One idea about the TV commercials. What about videos? Our library has tons of kids videos to lend, both DVD and VHS. I just saw yesterday the VHS are now no-lending period, you can keep as long as you want. Anyway, you can control more what they watch and no ads with videos, plus if you borrow, they don't clutter up your house. My DD really likes Lassie right now, so we record episodes on DVR to watch and I skip the ads, although they are only for things like birth defects lawsuits, life insurance and mortgage refi's, not stuff kids care about.

GL with the "stuff." I'm such a wienie when it comes to confrontation.

Amy, wife to J since 2001, mom to S since 7/09 and E 5/12.
booth2490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:20 AM   #32
Registered Users
Re: Starting over..maybe

I don't know why it has to be a confrontation. She's the babysitter and while she is with the kids all day on the weekends, it's your decision as a parent to choose what they eat, watch on TV, etc. It doesn't sound like she's buying stuff to treat your kids but to "make up" for what she sees as deprivation and bad parenting on your part...which is not her right to do, period.

If she DOES bring stuff over, send it home with her that night. "Thank you for letting them borrow your stuff today!" The stuff she's sent, box it up and donate. They were "gifts" anyway and I wouldn't waste energy waiting on her to go through it and decide what she wants. Or tell her if she wants to get some of it back, she's free to take all of it and then donate what she doesn't want.

You don't have to be rude to get your point across but it is *your* job to advocate for your kids. If a simpler lifestyle is better for them (and I believe it is for most kids, mind you), then you need to stand your ground. As far as the junk food goes, you should be able to feel like you can treat your kids and not worry what they are eating all weekend. I can't believe she feels like she can bring junk food over and feed it to YOUR kids. (I'm not anti-junk food, either.)
themamageek is offline   Reply With Quote