Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-04-2011, 03:09 PM   #1
Jatango
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
POTS anyone?

Anyone here have POTS triggered by pregnancy? I'm trying to get into the cardiologist ASAP, but I have the bpm increase with positional changes, palps and shortness of breath. I mean, really classic symptoms. Did you need to see a peri for your pregnancy or just your OB? I'm so lost.

Advertisement

Jatango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 04:44 PM   #2
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
I have afib, a tachycardia and also high heart rates that change with position, and skipped beats. I have had them with all my pregnancies (diagnosed prior to any pregnancy) and have done just fine. I have some extra monitoring during labor, but it has never affected me. I have yearly holter monitors done to make sure nothing is becoming life threatening, and so far so good. I do have MVP and tricuspid regurgitation as well, which can make the irregular beats really annoying.

Just make sure you see the cardio and you should be ok. There are some manuevers you can do to stop high heart rates, but your cardio should teach you them. Like holding breth, rubbing one cartiod artery etc. dont try them without being taught them though!
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:15 AM   #3
MsGiggles
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: POTS anyone?

I have a type of tachycardia (SVT) triggered by seasonal changes/atmospheric pressure and it acts up more and off-season during my pregnancies. Valsalva maneuvers usually cease mine and there are so many you can try. Even bearing down can help control tachycardia and I've been reassured by paramedics and my midwife that the valsalva maneuvers won't cause harm to babe inside.

Hope yours alleviates - that sounds frustrating.
MsGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:20 AM   #4
MsGiggles
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: POTS anyone?

Just checked - According to wikipedia, POTS can be brought on during or after pregnancy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postural_orthostatic_tachycardia_syndrome
MsGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote