Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-02-2011, 06:04 AM   #1
ackeller
Registered Users
seller

anyone with diastasis recti experience?

I was diagnosed with diastasis recti in month 3. I've been doing modified pilates & yoga to help reduce the separation. I've basically managed to keep it at a mild seperation, but not tighten the gap. The doc has put me on lifting restrictions (not TOO serious, but enough that I'm not supposed to carry my 22mo DS around)

I just curious if anyone else has experienced this and did it affect your labor? This is Baby 3 for me and I had very uncomplicated births for 1 & 2!!

Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 11-02-2011, 11:22 AM   #2
mamaratliff
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: anyone with diastasis recti experience?

I had it with my last pregnancy pretty badly, it didn't affect labor or delivery at all He was 10lb 6 oz, and came out with about 10 min of pushing. It healed up pretty well after delivery. Although I'm pregnant again now, and I can feel the seperation beginning again.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:21 AM   #3
ackeller
Registered Users
seller

that makes me feel better, thanks! Did you do any exercises or where the maternity belt or anything for the diastasis? My ob told me that at week 30-32 she'll decide if I "need" the belt. I HATE those things. Plus it's 100 degress and humid here and I have NO aircon. I've been doing modified pilates/yoga and the dr said that is helping them from "blowing open". :L
Old 11-03-2011, 10:38 AM   #4
mamaratliff
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I didn't. But then I don't think my Dr even knew about it. It was my mom who had 5 kids, who told me that's what was going on.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:27 AM   #5
kimmiepie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

NAK

I have one. I used Lose Your Mummy Tummy exercises with the splint and was able to almost close it (quickly too!), but then I got pregnant again. I did Maternal Fitness exercises to keep it from getting too much bigger and now that baby is born I have no worries that I can successfully close it when I'm ready to start. The splint is essential!!
Old 11-03-2011, 11:41 AM   #6
~Cricket~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had one after this baby, but I'd say it was mild. Apparently 80-90% of women do, and most are not diagnosed. I did a postnatal exercise DVD (Erin O'Brien) and then moved on the pilates, and it pretty much closed up on it's own. I could just barely wiggle a finger in after a few months. (gross....) I googled "diastasis + pilates" and came up with some modifications that were good for getting the muscles to close up again. Perhaps that would help?
Another friend had a pretty major separation, and her doctor was recommending surgery, but her's also closed up on it's own. She does a fair bit of jogging - don't know if that impacted her healing or not.
For what it's worth, if you are considering more children, there's no point in having it surgically repaired.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:26 AM   #7
ackeller
Registered Users
seller

No, I'm definitely not looking for surgery. My goal right now, at 27 weeks, is to keep the muscles strong enough that I don't have to wear the support belt. I'm not a true athlete, but I work hard so I know I can close up the gap with some postnatal work.

Thanks for all the suggestions! That's REALLY encouraging to hear!!!
Old 11-04-2011, 06:16 AM   #8
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I read a blog sometimes that has info about it.

http://www.raisingarrows.net/diastas...s-perspective/
Old 11-05-2011, 02:37 AM   #9
ackeller
Registered Users
seller

oh, her website is awesome, thanks!