Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-02-2011, 11:30 AM   #1
Fleece Be With You
Registered Users
OperaDiva
seller

Encouraging a (very) young one who wants to read?

My 25 month old is obsessed with letters and numbers. He has known his alphabet for a while, knows both upper case and lower case by sight, and loves doing alphabet flash cards. I didn't really try to teach him, he learned it himself watching Word World on PBS

What are some games I can play with him or activities we can do that reinforce alphabet and beginning reading, without pushing him?

Advertisement

Jessica, wife to L (8-5-05) Breastfeeding, co-sleeping, non-vaxing, CDing, ECing, babywearing Mama to H (9-18-09), my miracle baby! TTC #2!
I make and sell Fleece side-snap ConvertoTrainers! WAHM page Hyenacart Facebook Page
My Ovulation Chart
Fleece Be With You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:39 AM   #2
MathGirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Encouraging a (very) young one who wants to read?

I have one like that too. He learned all his letters and sounds (many numbers too) at about 18 months. I did not teach him any of them, he just picked them up watching Letter Factory and hanging out with his two older sisters. He knew most of them before he could say words. Both his sisters learned to read at 3 (again, mostly self-taught-I just answered their questions). With both my girls, there was a fairly long period of time between when they learned all their sounds/letters and when they actually understood how to blend the sounds to form words. I expect it to be the same with my DS. Just continue doing what you're doing, mama. You already know not to push it. That's the most important thing. Just answer his questions. You can do things like playing "What sound does this word start with?" He may or may not be ready for it. Or saying words slowly to hear the sounds that make them up. Also, Leapfrog magnetic letters and Word whammer (I think that's what it's called?) could be good toys. Also, check out starfall.com if you haven't yet. Both my DS and my 3 year old DD love that site.

ETA: Point to the words as you read books to him, so he understands that the printed letters relate to the words you say.

Last edited by MathGirl; 11-02-2011 at 11:43 AM.
MathGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 01:14 PM   #3
walking-iris
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My oldest was hyperlexic as well. I didn't want to push him further than I was comfortable so I just kept reading and talking to him. He played with magnetic letters and abc puzzles etc. he started writing the letters closer to 3 and could read a few words on his own, but I didn't start really teaching him to read until he was 5. He hit a plateau though. He's 8 and reading at a 4th grade level.

In my experience early readers need a lot of help with comprehension. So just reading and talking about what you read will help your little one way more than the phonics or technical skills of reading and writing.
walking-iris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 03:32 PM   #4
south5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

LeapFrog videos are awesome! They teach sound and beginning blends. They also have math videos.

I am doing K with my 3yo. She can write all her letters, knows all the sounds, and can spell her name. We are also doing K math, which is not more than play.

I am not making her wait til 5, I don't believe it is a magic number. I believe every child is ready at different times. My middle ds wasn't ready at 5, he was 6 1/2 before he was ready to learn to read.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:50 AM   #5
walking-iris
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by south5 View Post
LeapFrog videos are awesome! They teach sound and beginning blends. They also have math videos.

I am doing K with my 3yo. She can write all her letters, knows all the sounds, and can spell her name. We are also doing K math, which is not more than play.

I am not making her wait til 5, I don't believe it is a magic number. I believe every child is ready at different times. My middle ds wasn't ready at 5, he was 6 1/2 before he was ready to learn to read.
I didn't mean to imply 5 was a magic number or anything. I just don't start anything "formal" with my kiddos until then. I totally agree that kids are ready at different ages, but while they are really little I keep the emphasis on fun and activities they initiate on their own.
walking-iris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:54 PM   #6
kristawithak
Registered Users
seller

My oldest (now 3) was like that too! Pointed out his first letters by 18/19 months) and knew them all by age 2. By the time he turned 2.5, he had figured out how to put 3 letters together to make a word, and now that he is a little over 3, he is reading books!

I'm not sure what to suggest other than just showing him how they go together, sounding them out slowly. Miles plays Starfall a lot (my mom got him the full subscription to the more.starfall.com site for his 3rd birthday) and I think that helped.
kristawithak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 03:54 AM   #7
One Little Window
Registered Users
Formerly: mamainmaine
seller
seller

I'm in a similar boat age wise too. My boy's a bit over two. I try and just keep everything letter/reading related a fun thing to do. He loves it and it's what entertains him, so I'm not going to NOT teach him, but I don't want to push him either. We talk about letters and letter sounds in the grocerty store - while driving, at home while reading. I have some big wood letter I let him play with, he'll poor them all out and find the D, want me to say it, then say "doggie!"... Just fun silly stuff like that. I don't want to do anything formal till 4-5 either. I lean a little toward a Charlotte Mason/ Unschooling philosophy anyway - and kinda want to just let him guide himself as to what he's interested in anyway. I do think he'll go to regular school for a few years as of 1st... we'll see how it goes!
One Little Window is offline   Reply With Quote