Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-02-2011, 12:32 PM   #1
amk0518
Registered Users
seller

Minimalist Baby

I have not posted in this forum before, but I am trying to have a minimialist approach, especially when it comes to my new baby. She is my fourth, so I already know babies don't need a bunch of crap and I don't want to fill my house up with crap again since I got rid of all my baby junk before I found out I was pregnant. However, Christmas is coming and the older kids will be wondering why baby didn't get anything from Santa if she doesn't get gifts. I am probably going to get some type of toy that she can sit/stand and play in like an exersaucer. She may be a little young for it at Christmas, but she will grow into it. I really don't want a big toy that takes up a bunch of space--we have a small house--but I think an exersaucer or something like it is somewhat essential for when you're say cooking dinner or doing something where it's not practical to wear the baby. I saw this too while looking online http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B004B1N6EQ/ref=nosim/chrisficti-20 and I like the looks of it because you can fold it down easily when it is not in use.

Any thoughts? Or other ideas for gifts for an infant? She will be almost four months old at Christmas time so I do already have the essentials for her just no baby toys yet.

Advertisement

amk0518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:40 PM   #2
Whipple
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Minimalist Baby

My exersaucer was pretty awesome when I used it (not often, but when cooking and she didnt want to be held). I had a *tiny* apartment and we made it fit, I knew I would want it. We used it starting at about 5-ish months.
Honestly the one you linked looks slightly boring. The thing I liked about the exersaucer is that even if she knocked off toys I gave her there were still the toys that are attached.
Whipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:41 PM   #3
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:

Well my DD will be 5 days shy of 6 months at christmas and she is getting a wooden teether with a little bamboo velour knot thing that you can wet and freeze from santa and I am making her a sensory clutch ball since I am a WAHM and sewing is my thing LOL. That is it.

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 01:07 PM   #4
loving my family
Registered Users

I second the teether plus you can stick it in the stocking as a stocking stuffer
loving my family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:49 PM   #5
photocat
Registered Users

Have you read the reviews? Any way you can see this in person before buying, I'd be concerned about it collapsing, even though it says it locks. And people seem to be saying the seat is very deep.

I had the same problem when my now 3 yr old was a baby, he didn't really need anything but it would have seemed really odd to his older brother that santa forgot the baby. So I made him a homemade pirate doll and got him a couple of board books.

photocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:37 PM   #6
amk0518
Registered Users
seller

Yeah, I probably should just go with the traditional exersaucer--I can pick it up at consignment. A couple of teethers--maybe one of those toys that hooks to the carseat--and I should be good.
amk0518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 02:02 PM   #7
borncrunchy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by amk0518 View Post
Yeah, I probably should just go with the traditional exersaucer--I can pick it up at consignment. A couple of teethers--maybe one of those toys that hooks to the carseat--and I should be good.
Just a note.... Most of the traditional exersaucers DO fold down.... Just not as small as the one you linked to.... It's not often advertised, but they sort of collapse sideways, so the legs falls to the open spot between each leg if that makes sense much easier for a small space than say a jumperoo, which is much harder to collapse and fit in smaller spaces.... The one i had folds flat enough to fit under a standard bed
Old 11-03-2011, 04:52 PM   #8
NewMommy6111
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm having this issue too. I don't have older kids (rather a mother who acts like a 5 year old) but I have no idea what to get DS, he will be 7 months at Christmas. The pp's ideas sound good Or I could always buy a diaper and pretend it's for him
NewMommy6111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 04:05 AM   #9
nurse&mom23
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My kids get nothing(from me of course they get tons from everyone else, so I don't feel the slightest bit guilty) on Christmas until they are old enough to realize what presents are and who they are from. I tell the older kids that all babies really need is love and mommies and daddies give that to them all the time. It never seemed to bother them too much. They ask, but it is over as soon as they get cought up in their own toys etc.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:34 AM   #10
P!nkPepper

Formerly Q......9
seller
seller

My Mood:
I don't know anything about that baby item you posted but I don't think it "looks" safe. Not saying it isn't or not to get but it doesn't appeal to me.

For my newbie that will be nearly 6 wks at Christmas, my plan is to get him a Sophie the Giraffe & a diaper or two.
P!nkPepper is offline   Reply With Quote