Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-02-2011, 03:16 PM   #1
faiths13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
preschooler very reluctant

My 4 year old doesn't want to do anything that resembles school work or learning letters or numbers. I know I still have a year before he starts K, but Im worried he wont know the things he "should know" by then. I most likely will hs, but I also worry that if he wont sit sown to do something now or listen to me or follow direction or just refuse to do school work, what will happen next year. My oldest two that I hs did ps for the first 3-5 years if school so they know the basics and will listen to me. So starting off this early is kind of overwhelming so far.

Sent from my DROIDX using DS Forum

Advertisement

Old 11-02-2011, 03:28 PM   #2
south5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: preschooler very reluctant

4 is early for boys. My son wasn't ready for school at 5. I chose to wait til 6. We did 1st grade with Christian Light and he fit just right.

You could sneak learning in through games. Make letters out of play-do, sing songs, get puzzles for letters and numbers, talk about shapes and colors as you go about your day, teaching should be more natural when they are young.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:51 PM   #3
JackieLyn
feeling festive
seller

My Mood:

My boys weren't ready for school at 4 either...my dd LOVES to sit and do her workbook and busy work. She is 4 now. My 6 yr old still fights me but he will at least sit down and work for a little bit. Short spurts for us..."do these problems and you can take or a break (or be done)" No worries mama, it's normal and don't worry, it sounds like you are active in your children's lives so it's not like he WON'T learn...but it will be when he's ready.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:35 PM   #4
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

My oldest daughter is the one I struggle with getting to sit down and do work. Even now, in 6th grade it's a struggle. We do hands-on stuff. At 4/5 years old it was songs, games, drawing with chalk, etc. She enjoyed playing on the computer so we had a couple games she could play that would work with her on basics -- colors, shapes, numbers, letters. A lot of kids just aren't ready to sit and do at that age. Not a bad thing, just who they are. I'm not aware of single state that even requires school before the age of 6, so if he's not ready at 4/5, don't worry about it.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:38 PM   #5
faiths13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I understand ways to incorporate learning into life for math and other things, but not letters. My ds often refuses to let me read to him (another thing Im worried about. My oldest 2 were read to every day and now love to read.) So how do I incorporate letters into everyday life without reading or get him to want story time?

Old 11-02-2011, 06:43 PM   #6
angel nee nee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am struggling too...... my 4 year old daughter is so different from my 6 year old son.
When he was 2, he was playing with 48 piece puzzle with ease. When he was at her age, he was reading.

But my four year old.... all she wants to do is dress up, put on play make ups she received for her b day from her grandma, put on play jewerly, and plan her wedding.

I try to invite her to "play"/"study" with us.
She tolerates doing one page or two.
She then soon tries to marry her blue crayon with red crayon, purple crayon with yellow crayon, and she tries to marry her green crayon herself.....

I try to count with her and talk about what sound each words start with. She plays along a little bit, but 50% of the time or more, she says the wrong thing like Queen starts with B. lol I think she is just messing with me.

When I invite her to sing with me, she asks me to stop (I am a bad singer.). Sometiems she asks me to sing with her, those are songs like the ones from the Disney movie "Tangled."

When I read stories, she changes stories so we do not get to finish, which is fine. lol

The thing with her is, I noticed that she likes to be the one in charge. She likes to make rules. She likes to decide what to do.

If she was the only daughter, I think I might have had more time to get more creative and focus on her, but right now I am homeschooling my 6 year old, and we also have 2 year old too who is starting to learn from her sister's example. So I have her join what she can, then let her loose when she's had enough.
Once I get used to educating my son more, I would really love to get her more and more involved. Maybe we will count her jewerlies. Maybe I can number her play make ups. Maybe I can put letters on her play rings. I just hope I will SOON be able to manage educating my son, educating my daughters, diong housework, and doing other works I am doing too. I am very motivated to do it, I just do not have enough time and am struggling to find more time for them.

Click Here
to join suporpoints and get your 50 poits.
Earn points for paypal cash.
Do you like shopping online? Get rebates from ebates, Mr. Rebates
angel nee nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:04 PM   #7
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Ladies, at 4, I really wouldn't worry about it. Your children will be ready to learn in their time and if you focus on trying to force it, most likely the only thing you will accomplish is to squash their love of learning (they have it, even if it doesn't show itself like you want) and make yourself crazy.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:36 PM   #8
south5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by faiths13 View Post
I understand ways to incorporate learning into life for math and other things, but not letters. My ds often refuses to let me read to him (another thing Im worried about. My oldest 2 were read to every day and now love to read.) So how do I incorporate letters into everyday life without reading or get him to want story time?

All of my children loved LeapFrog videos.

What are you reading to him? Have you tried letting him pick out books at the library? When are you trying to read? What if you read to him at bedtime, make him feel like it is a special treat to stay up a little later. Maybe you could read stories with more action. I try to read aloud during meals. I either eat before or after them for breakfast and lunch. What if you read The Hungry Caterpillar and actually had all the foods he ate each day? If he likes trucks, get books on trucks.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:38 PM   #9
JackieLyn
feeling festive
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
Ladies, at 4, I really wouldn't worry about it. Your children will be ready to learn in their time and if you focus on trying to force it, most likely the only thing you will accomplish is to squash their love of learning (they have it, even if it doesn't show itself like you want) and make yourself crazy.
chillax, yo! There are days we wonder if they are learning anything and out of the blue it's quite evident that they are...just have faith
Old 11-02-2011, 09:51 PM   #10
monkeymama07
Registered Users
seller

At this age its all about exposure and opportunities IMO..

we do some "schoolwork" on a gentle level a our house but I have one child ... so its differnt.

you can make letter things - cookies, play dough, cookie cutters, magnetic letters, letter beads, print letters and decorate them with things (glitter, glue, paint, whatever gets you rkids interests)

Sing songs, pop in book son tape in the background, read aloud to him even if hes not sitting there listening he is still listening, have th ekids take turns telling a story ... my son and I go back and forth telling parts of stories they are whoppers and dont make sense but he is getting into what we are doing..

shows like the leapfrog movies...

for numbers you can cound ANYTHING and everything, let him help in the kitchen with things like measuring and diving and sorting... talk about things being first. last, more, less, in, and out...

your son doesnt need to sit down and go through a workbook or even read a book to learn something ( I personally LOVE to read and my son gets my addiction for books but its not NEEDED at this age just give him the chances and he will come around)

also what sort of books are you giving him? My son LOVES pop up books and books like the eyewitness ones or the sort of pciture dictionary type things (where there are lots of pictures and blurbs about each thing-we dont have to read ALL the blurbs on a page), also the Discovery books that you learn from and they DO things liek the wheels spin or make th ebunny hop whatever.. things he is specifically intersted in ... like knights, dinosaurs, dragons, farms, construction vehicles, whatever...

science experiements are an easy way to get into "doing school work". If we have something super cool out you better believe myson can fly through his phonics and magically knows how to sound out and read whatever we have to do before science...

WE are big online game fans here.. places like starfall, explodethecode, nickjr, wherever has games to play Liam is all over that..

board games, card games, dice games, etc are great fun around here and involve learning without meaning to..

Last edited by monkeymama07; 11-02-2011 at 09:54 PM.
monkeymama07 is offline   Reply With Quote