Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-02-2011, 09:57 PM   #11
faiths13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: preschooler very reluctant

my son loves starfall and nickjr and does those when he wants. i have a ton of books - all kinds. we have always had lots of books so he has a wide variety to choose from. we cant do books at bedtime because we put him and our 2 year old down at the same time and they literally bounce off the walls. i ask him during the day when im not busy if he wants to hear a story. sometimes he does but then the 2 year old is grabbing it.

Advertisement

Old 11-04-2011, 02:34 PM   #12
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

I've always been told that reading to your kids is the absolute best thing you can do. It doesn't matter if their attention span is short. Read a couple of pages and then let them go play.

4 is very young.
isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 03:43 PM   #13
faiths13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

funny thing is, yesterday i was at the table helping my two older kids and he was bored. so i said if he wanted he could do workbooks. he grabbed one and did several pages with help from me and one of his brothers. : )
Old 11-04-2011, 04:00 PM   #14
walking-iris
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I worry about my 4 year old son too. My oldest ds (8-3rd grade) was very into learning at that age. We would sit and read a stack of books, and talk and bond etc. My 4 year old---I can't read to him. Just today I offered to read to him (he never ever asks me to read) and I let him pick (because if I do---uh uh). So he picked How The Grinch Stole Christmas. But see then I start to read and he starts bouncing on the couch---sliding to the floor---slinking out of the room---anything to get out of it as soon as we start.

And I'm a damn good "read alouder"!!!! Sometimes we go days without him getting read too. But I do read bedtime stories to all three of my kid sat the same time. He likes the Magic Tree House books and can talk about them forever (really good listening memory and comprehension) But try to read a book any time other than bedtime---not happening.

He knows his letters and can write them and can count and has been practicing writing them, and he knows shapes and colors. I also try to include him in my oldest son's science lessons. But those gains were hard earned--maybe 5 minutes of a good moment with about 20 minutes of pure wild 4 year old energy--he's really extreme.

It just bothers me that I can't have a reading experience with him. Would he be getting in trouble in preschool or kindergarten with the constant energy and inability to sit still for a story time? He has no patience for singing or reciting nursery rhymes or finger plays either. He's also very demanding--if he's writing his c's backwards for example and I try to help or show him how, he gets extremely upset. Wants to do everything on his own without help and then he gets upset when he can't do something---he wants someone to show him, but not at the same time.

It's rubbing off onto my oldest who has started balking at doing his school. Having a reluctant or stubborn preschooler is no walk in the park for sure.
walking-iris is offline   Reply With Quote