Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-01-2011, 09:22 PM   #1
leanntoland
Registered Users

Headaches/migraines

Does anybody have a good home remedy or any suggestions really for dealing with migraines during pregnancy? I'm 27 weeks and my headaches are back. No fun!

Advertisement

leanntoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:45 PM   #2
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Are they just really bad headaches or really migraines? I've suffered from migraines that take me out for the entire day throwing up and not able to function. My dr gave me something like Imitrex injections before getting pregnant but I used it twice during pregnancy when a bad one was coming on. It worked within 5 mins. If I had a "migraine" I would use it during pregnancy, but just an occasional bad headache I would take Advil until my 3rd trimester and I may have taken a couple after 28wks too. It works and is less dangerous once in a great while. But now I just take Tylenol. I haven't had a migraine since my first trimester. Some drs will give you pain meds, if you're ok with it and can keep it down (which is my problem, can't keep anything down when I have one) than try that for the really bad ones.
Good luck!!
Old 11-02-2011, 04:27 AM   #3
leanntoland
Registered Users

Thanks! They are migraines. When I'm not pregnant, imitrex with aleve is what I take, so it's nice to hear that you have used that (imitrex at least) while pregnant. My OB said that it's okay to use after the first trimester but I've been scared to take it. Tylenol just isn't enough! I have another OB appointment in a couple of days so I might see if there is anything else they can give me. I might just break down and take what I know will work. Thanks for the reply!!
Old 11-02-2011, 09:00 AM   #4
ackeller
Registered Users
seller

Re: Headaches/migraines

I did a lot of research online and found that Ibuprofen brand of the ibuprofen NSAID drug is safe if taken VERY occassionally, and only one pill at a time, between weeks 22-30. I battle cruel headaches (a shade less than a migraine I think) the whole pregnancy. Weeks 22-30 are a bright spot for me because I can take something if I really need to. I recommend talking to your doc first, though.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:35 PM   #5
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Shoot, you used to be able to take Advil during your pregnancy back in 97 when I had my twins. Just sparingly in the 3rd trimester. Now they say not at all but my OB said its not a big deal. Also, I was in my first trimester when I took the Imitrex. I was super worried but it's a class C so not the end of the world. Shoot, a girl I went to school with had to take like 6-10 Norco a day (extra strength Vicodin) for severe back pain for her whole pregnancy cutting down the last month to only 4. Her baby was born with a drug addiction and had to detox for like a week! So sad! I don't think an Advil here or there or Imitrex is a big deal if it keeps you functioning. People justify taking meds daily for morning sickness, I don't see this being any different. Also, I found RedBull helps. It has 80mg of caffeine and a lot of B vitamins which help with headaches and nausea. I also asked my high risk OB if I shouldn't drink it but he said as long as there's no warning (which many energy drinks and even Kombucha have) than you're ok in moderation.

Last edited by TwinKristi; 11-02-2011 at 01:36 PM.
TwinKristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 03:56 PM   #6
SpunkeyTheMunkey
Registered Users

My OB told me to just stick with caffeine, but I don't remember if that was before or after I explained that I've just been getting the aura (my vision goes all fuzzy, like when tvs used to fuzz out before it was digital) and not the headache part of the migraine.
SpunkeyTheMunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:50 PM   #7
leanntoland
Registered Users

I love redbull! I might have to give that a try! I think I will save my imitrex for when nothing else works, but give myself a break if I do need to take it.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:38 PM   #8
themamageek
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

I haven't had a horrible horrible migraine since getting pregnant but the few I've had while pregnant, I lay down in the room and leave everything to DH. Hot water always helped me so a hot bath or shower would ease the pain.

Headaches...caffeine, just in case, then maybe some Tylenol (I avoid medicine as long as possible). I tend to deal with headaches since they're pretty minor but it doesn't sound like you're talking about those!
themamageek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:51 PM   #9
munchkinsmama2007
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The only non-prescription remedy that works for my migraines is two extra strength Tylenol, a can of Mt. Dew, and sleep for at least an hour. And I've learned, over the years, that daily caffeine (about two cups of coffee, two cans of soda, two glasses of iced tea, etc) is a good way to prevent them. But I know caffeine doesn't work for everyone and in some, it actually causes the migraines.
Brianne, married to my sweetheart Eric, mommy to Reuben(4), and expecting #2 on or around 1-9-12
munchkinsmama2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:17 PM   #10
wyoming butterfly
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I use pepermint oil