Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 11-06-2011, 09:03 PM   #11
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Those who school year round...

We school year round and take breaks when necessary. I schedule breaks for holidays like Halloween (we do it HUGE here because I love it) a smaller break at Christmas and Thanksgiving and pretty much nothing at Easter (I'm not a fan). We're technically atheist but my parents and dh's aren't so we have to do family stuff. Then we may take breaks when I feel like the kids are reaching a burn out point or when we have a lot of medical stuff going on. My oldest is ASD plus some other medical complications so sometimes there is a lot of testing and stuff going on with him. I also have some health stuff going on so we may have a week with a lot of doctor's appts that require us to take a week off. I also work part time but not normal part time. I may work two days out of a week for 12+ hours in a day and then not work again for 3 or 4 weeks. So we work around that as well. It's kind of random. That is part of the reason I chose year round schooling but the biggest reason was that I found if the kids took more than a couple of weeks off at a stretch they would start back sliding and then we would have to do a lot of review work. I prefer to just stay on top of things instead.

ShannonInk'd, Atheist, Liberal, Part Time Large Equipment Mechanic, HS-ing, Mum to ASD Ninja Kearnan (8-4-01) & Derby Boy Tharen (12-1-05)
Always remembering Arawyn Born Silently (12-21-03)
Crocheted longies/shorties, toys and more see samples Arawyn's Garden Crochet
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:49 PM   #12
Registered Users
My Mood:

We school year round four days a week. We take breaks when we need it. This might be for field trips, helping a sick friend, mini-vacations, emotional needs for the family or really anything that is real life. We do school when life allows. We do a lot of school but probably not what would work well in other states where planning and scheduling are scrutinized.
Beth, Christian mama of 5 (expecting #6 Spring 2013).
Check out my blog Heart Stirred with Wisdom
4dramamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:52 AM   #13
Registered Users
My Mood:

We have the schedule that PS has but am going to try the 3 weeks/1week off!
WAHM of 5 amazing kiddos!! Lily, Gaby, Kj, Sari, Jahziel... Homeschooling mama!
Babygiggles04 is offline   Reply With Quote